Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dem Round Black rubbery tings tha stick ya car to the road

+4
HighlyJetted
leopard_pagan
bushwhacker
StvC
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dem Round Black rubbery tings tha stick ya car to the road Empty Dem Round Black rubbery tings tha stick ya car to the road

Post by leopard_pagan Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 pm

tyres. lol..  Wink 
I need 1 OK life still left in it tyre to use as a spare.

Last week i took Smurfy in to a tyre place because at slow speed the van seemed to wobble!
it turned out to be the centre band on a rear tyre had snapped & warped the tread so at slow speeds when it had better grip it was making the van handle weird!

PM me inc shipping etc in your price.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dem Round Black rubbery tings tha stick ya car to the road Empty Re: Dem Round Black rubbery tings tha stick ya car to the road

Post by StvC Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:35 am

Bloody ell, part worn tyre places are every other building up here. Suppose it's an unsualish size.

StvC
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Dem Round Black rubbery tings tha stick ya car to the road Empty Re: Dem Round Black rubbery tings tha stick ya car to the road

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:32 pm

They look about the size of a Liquorish Polo Mint. I have just been given four 165/70/12 tyres to put on my 12" SE Alloys for one of my Pick-ups or the MPV. Mind you I have got quite a lot of work to do on the wheels to tidy them up for painting --especially the Centre Caps. Sad  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Err. SE alloys are 13".
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Yep!! Bushwhacker has a point Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm not so lucky to own a SE.. so my tyres are the piddly 12" jobbies...

Just checked my tyres as MOT end o month.. they look ok for now.. BUT i still need to get 1 for the spare.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Well that's weird because my SE Alloys are 12" certainly not 13" Bushwacker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Just checked with Melboy and his are 12"too so I am not sure where you have got that idea from BW.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:52 am

My SE alloys are 13"
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:00 am

What year is yours then Matt? The one I have got is N reg. It also has central locking which I shall very carefully remove.

I wonder why and when they changed wheel sizes
then. And wonder if speedo cable gearing is different or speedo head different. That raises loads of questions doesn't it. Interesting to say the least.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:02 am

Just a thought, which is purely speculative:-

Maybe some of the SE's are imports.

I wonder where they were made? Do they all have Piaggio on the plate under the seat?

I have this crazy feeling some have separate heater controllers in the back too.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 am

All the Daihatsu's Matt as far as I know and I mean as far as I know right from the early two cylinder ones were made under license from Piaggio. The two cylinder one I scrapped three years ago had the Piaggio plate on it anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:07 am

Apologies Bushwhacker for doubting your statement. Just shows you CAN teach an Old Dog new tricks.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:20 am

woody wrote:All the Daihatsu's Matt as far as I know and I mean as far as I know right from the early two cylinder ones were made under license from Piaggio. The two cylinder one I scrapped three years ago had the Piaggio plate on it anyway.

Don't think this is true for the Asian ones as they weren't made in Europe.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 am

Well if ever there was a case of hang your head in shame Woodward --- this is it. I have just looked at the casting mark in the middle of the Alloys and it is just about legible 5"X 13". and I have looked at the tyres that came off --- 13" !!!
That will teach me not to open my great big gob before checking the facts. But you can knock me down with a feather -- I am so surprised at that.

So humble grovelling apologies to you both. Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed 

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 pm

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Is that pool of shame your sitting in nice and warm?  Laughing Laughing Laughing 
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 pm

No its damn cold. I just got my Electricity bill in this morning for £199-01 so that fan heater is back in the cupboard and Long Johns on till the spring arrives. I will I hasten to add change them each day and the elasticated Velcro strapped knee support is strapped firmly round my gob !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Hey, as the hedgehog said as he climbed off the loo brush, " everyone makes mistakes " Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks Logi. Its one mistake that has cheered me right up because their is a much larger range of wider low profiles for 13" wheels.
I am indebted to Bushwhacker and Matt for putting me straight.
I will just have to tell Melboy now of our joint mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Yeah getting 13" rubber is a much friendlier market place to be in.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Yeah getting 13" rubber is a much friendlier market place to be in.

Yep, recently picked up 4 i65/70/13's off Ebay for 99p  Twisted Evil 
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:49 pm

Hang on a mo, wtf did they put 13" wheels on the SE and not other or later vans? As Woody asked, do they have a different speedo gear or head?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by melboy Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:12 pm

sorry woody bought new front tyre today and guess what 13". i really thought they were all 12s Embarassed
melboy
melboy
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:10 am

I think they may have brought the rolling circumference down
by using the 165X 60X 13 Tyres . That's the only thing I can think
of PFM. I have put them alongside the standard 12" tyres and they are as near as damn it the same size.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 am

99P ???? Logi. I bet the seller must be sick as a parrot.. affraid affraid 

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:46 pm

No. They used 165/70R13 but remember that the size does not necessarily correlate to rolling diameter.

When I had my first puncture I found that the 12" spare was taller than the 13" thus tilting the car to one side and down at the front. When I got another 13" tyre the same thing happened so I wasn't best pleased as their 'budget' price was £33 (real budget tyres were about £12 at the time). Rather than get an extra tyre and move good old ones to the front as recommended I bought a full set to make sure I had no further problems. (Mainly because I didn't feel safe with the car tilted like that).

So, beware but always check what is on the car before purchase. (I really don't understand why you didn't but never mind).

N.B:
They used the same sized tyres on the Extol, with steel wheels, so the size would seem a deliberate choice.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:19 pm

That's true BW. I think it is called the aspect ratio meaning that the middle figure 70 or 60 or whatever is that the side wall height is 70% or 60% that of the width of the tyre in this case 165mm. So a 165x70x13 would have sidewall height of 115mm.

I still dont understand though why
the width of the tyre eg 165 is in mm and the rim diameter in inches.
Really weird.
Hope I have got that right this time. Don't want egg on my face again.
As I bought the SE for £150 all I was interested in was the Alloys for my MPV or my Pickup. The tyres were all good but didn't look at the size. I just took it for granted that they were 12". Now finding they
are 13" really made my day.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:10 pm

woody wrote:I still dont understand though why
Really weird.

I guess in a bygone era before my time, all tyre measurements were metric.

And I guess they started to do metric widths to give more variation, but no one has quite managed to shift those imperial rim sizes!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:46 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:
woody wrote:I still dont understand though why
Really weird.

I guess in a bygone era before my time, all tyre measurements were Imperial. (I fixed this HJ)

And I guess they started to do metric widths to give more variation, but no one has quite managed to shift those imperial rim sizes!

We have been here before with metros and granadas you just end up with silly numbers and old tyres were measured in inchs and they were say 5" which meant they were 5" wide and 5" tall where as the Woody is correct the second figure is a % of the width and all a result of decimalisation.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Sorry, my typing/brain errors are getting bad!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next