Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello, new to the forum

5 posters

Go down

Hello, new to the forum Empty Hello, new to the forum

Post by Dragonfly Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:55 pm

Been having a read through and thought i'd say hello.
Looking to get a small, micro van that can be uses as a day van / camping at the odd weekend away, and just pootling around, not really going far, during the week.

I started looking at Rascals, which is still a possibilty, but the thing that i like with the Hijets, is that there seems to be a better choice when it comes to rear seats. As for the odd festival, it would be 4 of us ( me, wife and two boys 10 and 6 ), having enough seats is quite important. It doesn't matter once we get somewhere as the boys like sleeping in tents.

We've previously owner two Subaru Sambas ( with the vw look ) and loved the fact that you had enough seats, but then could get a flat bed when you wanted. However we didn't really like the auto box, engine size, and price ( when buying, and when there was an issue ).

Ideally looking to spend around £1000, or lower Very Happy . MOT is important, as is body / mechanical condition, but don't mind one that needs a bit or work in the looks / cosmetic department - that just means i can add my own look to it Very Happy 

I'm in Cambridgeshire, near Peterborough, but don't mind a bit of travel if it's worth it.

Darren

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Hello, new to the forum Empty Re: Hello, new to the forum

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Rascal/Carry is old in the tooth now and you'll be fighting rust hard.

Hijets are pretty availible, and the 1.3 engine is a modern smooth running powerful little beast. A serious upgrade from any 660cc or 1 litre motor.

Good luck with the hunt, I'm sure you'll find a good one if you look properly.

There is a hijet buyers guide on one of the sub forum, stickied to the top.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:26 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Rascal/Carry is old in the tooth now and you'll be fighting rust hard..
Unlike a Hijet then.................Razz 

Welcome Smile

Buy the best you can afford.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:35 pm

welcome to the forum Smile 

i toyed with the idea of a rascal too but like Highly Jetted said, it was the age that put me off.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonfly Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. I quite like older vehicles ( drive a 1989 classic mini ), but I've also had older where rust was an issue - but saying that I've had rust on newer ones too.
At the moment I am thinking hijet instead of rascal as it seems to tick a few more boxes for what I'm after.
Currently keeping an eye on here and eBay.

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:29 pm

Finding replacement engines for the carry/rascal is getting tough it would seem too, as i've had a few people call me hunting for them.

After you drive a rascal, you'd think a 1.3 hijet is like a RS GT Turbo Sri mini van!!

Plus you don't have the dizzy cap n rotor arm wear, and carb continuous issues.

Instead you get headlights made of unobtainium, rusting fuel tanks but a forum full of mostly sound sort of people Razz 

My main buying point on a Hijet, is the rear inner arches. If they are proper sound in the corners then you know its a good one.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklord Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:35 am

Hello Dragonfly. Welcome to the forum.
I'm a Hi-Jet newbie. I too was looking at Bedford rascals, but to me 'F' Reg vans were going for silly money. Plus as HJ said, you've got a fight with the rust on your hands.
I found a Rascal close to me for sale, so I went for a look and a test drive. I'm glad I did. If your a lanky sod like me (6ft 1') get a Hi-Jet. They have a little bit more headroom. I can sort of stand up in the back of mine. The rascal has a lower roofline. My next step with my van is to swap the side loading door/doors for ones with windows in. As I plan to use it as a micro camper for the odd event here and there, so it'd be nice to see a bit more light in the back.
Darklord
Darklord
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonfly Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:49 am

There's some cool usernames on this forum - unless you really are a Dark Lord Smile
A micro camper is the route I'm planning on going down eventually, so a bit more height in the back would be handy. Seems to be another tick for a hijet.

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:34 am

Welcome to the Forum Dragonfly. Whereabouts in Peterborough do you live Dragonfly ?
My old Dragon comes from Whittlesey and a good mate of mine lives in Ramsey . She comes up to Whittlesey to see her mum quite often so if you do find one and need parts let me know, Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down