Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.3 EFI parts needed!

2 posters

Go down

1.3 EFI parts needed! Empty 1.3 EFI parts needed!

Post by nc30 Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Hello all,

Picked up a 1999 Hijet 1.3 the other day, as a non-runner. Two owners, 40k miles. Really clean and tidy! The rocker cover was already off, as were the HT leads. Popped a battery in, and it turned over with nice compression...

But here's where it got interesting...

The valves on cylinders 1 & 2 seemed to work perfectly, but there was no movement of valves on cylinders 3 & 4. Strange, I thought! I looked at the end of the camshaft, and discovered the sensor was missing, which was kind of handy as I could see the little slot in the end of it. Turned it over again, and the slot did not rotate. Surely the camshaft hadn't snapped in half? (The cam belt was not broken - it looked suspiciously new)

Removal of the rockers and bearing caps determined - It most certainly had. What a bang that must have made! It's broken right between valves 8 & 9, a really clean break, and looking at the surface of the break it is clear the shaft has got incredibly hot at that point. The bearing cap number 3 is absolutely wrecked. The rockers for cyl 2 & 3 are also really discoloured from heat.

So I whipped the head off and examined. The valves are all perfect, none are bent, and the pistons are all really clean. The bores are also immaculate, no scoring at all. That was a stroke of luck. Journal 3 is wrecked. The camshaft had worn about 2 or 3mm off the diameter before failing.

So this leaves me needing the following:

A 16v head, camshaft and cam sensor (preferably with valves and rockers)
A thermostat housing (mine was missing - presumably this van has overheated pretty severely!)

The oil is like marmite, poor little van.

So if anybody has a spare head for sale, please let me know!!

Cheers guys!

P.s I'll pop some pictures up of this snapped camshaft, and the discoloured rockers as soon as I can, it's quite impressive (I've never seen a broken camshaft before!!)
nc30
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

1.3 EFI parts needed! Empty Re: 1.3 EFI parts needed!

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:52 pm

I have seen this before andv heard of it a couple of times before.

I do have a head and the other bits you need.

But, is the bottom end worth using?!!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by nc30 Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Superb!!

I think the bottom end should be okay, there was no rubbish inside the cylinders, and the water jacket seemed really clean too. It definitely had compression, and no scoring or anything like that. I think (hope!) it should be alright. I'm keen to try the head, because if it works out, I'll have a nice little van and not had to do toooo much to it. Plus replacing the whole engine will be a fair amount more work I'd imagine (this is my first Hijet, so I'm new to this!).

I'm confident the van is sound electrically, it is signwritten for a business and the previous owner had a couple of them, so I imagine when it went bang they took it to a garage who saw the presumably snapped original cam belt, replaced it, couldn't get a spark, took the cam sensor off, found the snapped cam shaft and decided it was not worth repairing at that point. This is just speculation though. The guy I bought it off hadn't changed the logbook, he'd bought it as a non-runner but had LOTS of projects on the go, and wanted it gone.

Let me know a price for the parts, and how you prefer payment. Absolute worst-case scenario I will change the engine, but as I say I'm keen to try the head and see how I get on.

Thanks HighlyJetted!

Oh and also, best place for head gaskets? Ebay? Cheers
nc30
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down