Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imports from Japan

5 posters

Go down

Imports from Japan Empty Imports from Japan

Post by manoka Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Hello,

As I'm interested in buying and importing a micro van from Japan, I would appreciate any information about the costs for the necessary alterations to be able to drive it permanently in Europe.

Many thanks in advance!

manoka

manoka

Back to top Go down

Imports from Japan Empty Re: Imports from Japan

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Where in Europe do you live?

Over here in england all they need is a rear fog light and switch , the speedometer converting to MPH and in some cases the fuel filler neck needs a restrictor to fit British petrol filler guns. After these adaptations have been completed the vehicle need sending for an SVA test where it will get a UK registration number according to its age if it is fit for use.

If you live in europe firstly a japanese import will have the steering wheel on the wrong side. Then the headlights will have the wrong beam pattern so you'll need to change them - then whatever else is required by your laws.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by manoka Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:52 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Where in Europe do you live?
Thanks HighlyJetted!
I'm currently living in Portugal, but am likely to move to Spain very soon.
Any ideas about how much it costs to install a rear fog light and to change the beam pattern?

manoka

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Foglight - very little really, you just put a universal red light fitting on the back somewhere.

You might not need a fog light in spain/portugal - fog lights are a quirk of brittish motoring law.

Changing the headlights seriously depends on what van it is, and if you can get them. If its a vehicle that's common in left hand drive then you will get lights easily and maybe second hand for a bargain price. If they are rare then its a different ball game. I really don't have a clue about Spanish import registration law. Some countries do not allow the registration of wrong hand driven vehicles!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Spain does not permit RHD vans to be registered on Spanish plates.
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Perhaps you could import a Porter from Italy? That way it's pretty much all set up for European roads.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 am

My mum lives in Portugal, she ended up buying a Portuguese car as its very costly and lots of red tape to matriculate a foreign car, unless your Portuguese that's is!
You are. Allowed a foreign car in the country for some months of the year tho so if your going to Spain soon you may not need to do much
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 am

daisydon wrote:My mum lives in Portugal, she ended up buying a Portuguese car as its very costly and lots of red tape to matriculate a foreign car, unless your Portuguese that's is!
You are. Allowed a foreign car in the country for some months of the year tho so if your going to Spain soon you may not need to do much

Hi Daisy,In the EU you are legally allowed 6 months on on other country's plates. In Spain you can reregister a RHD car but not a van, lorry or motorhome.
It is only in the UK that foreigners can get round the rules easier the us brits. Very Happy Very Happy
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by manoka Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the interesting inputs!
Little Black Van wrote:Perhaps you could import a Porter from Italy? That way it's pretty much all set up for European roads.
This is not an option as I only want the EV Mitsubishi Minicab-MiEV, or something similar enough.
But I guess, if it's legal at all to leave Japan with a Japanese license plate and to drive all the way to Europe, at the end, if there is no other option I could at least sell it in the U.K.

manoka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down