Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no?

+6
rich the mechanic
PFM
Logi
waz
rjdutch
leopard_pagan
10 posters

Go down

keep the web site or not?

Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Vote_lcap0%Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Vote_lcap100%Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Empty Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no?

Post by leopard_pagan Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:32 am

got an email in from my web site domain/host for Microvanowners.co.uk is due for renewal 17th Jan 2012.

i know with all intentions to get the main site usable but not had the time + does anyone really use it?
Google test on the name with out spaces gives us 1st spot, Forum 3rd.
google test with spaces gets the forum 7th from top, web site is 3rd from top.

wondering if its worth the site hosting cost (£50) to keep it going or just keep the forum ticking along as we have.
the forum is free btw and is independent from the site and would NOT be affected.

what say you lot?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Empty Re: Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no?

Post by rjdutch Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:37 am

I've never used the website, mainly because most of it is under construction. I guess even if it was fully populated with information, the forum would still be a better resource. If it was my £50 I'd proabbly not renew the site!
rjdutch
rjdutch
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Empty Re: Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no?

Post by waz Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:32 pm

I did not know that there was a web site related to this forum so I would save the £50 as I find the forum sufficient.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Website? What website? Question
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:46 pm

I don't think I ever saw the site before today. Nice tip about bleeding, the one I cobbled together some years ago involved a 15mm lever valve...

The site could be very interesting and informative, but would take a lot of time and effort to achieve. There is so much useful information on this forum for owners - it just sometimes takes a little bit of finding. The beauty of the forum is that there are many contributors, not just a few (or one!) putting info on a website.

We could all perhaps contribute more by answering queries more swiftly - I've been meaning to measure the resistance of my heated rear screens for the past week, for instance.

As you say, the forum won't be affected, so not a great deal would be lost by letting the site go. Aonther could be started in the future if time allowed, perhaps.

£50 could also be spent on a pint for yourself and your 19 favourite posters! Very Happy

Most of all though I'd like to say thanks to you for setting up and managing the forum, and to everybody who contributes. Happy Christmas to one and all! santa

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:09 pm

I would say save the money and use a free site builder like moonfruit which if available would give an address like www.microvanowners.mft.com and at a later date buy the web name you want and they will attach the site to it for a small fee, In the mean time it can be built without any outlay also with moonfruit you can add other people to it and give them editing powers as needed, don't know who else offers the same service we use them and they came well recommended to us.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Just another free advertising idea is to create a page on facebook to use as a pointer to the forum not sure how it would work but maybe worth a look.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Empty How Many Left?

Post by rjdutch Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:02 pm

There should still be quite a bit of interest in this forum / the website. This link http://howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=daihatsu+hijet is for a site which accesses DVLA data. Apparently there are nearly more than 2000 Hi-Jets left in Britain trundling around and doing their wobbly thing!
Long may they all last!

Very Happy
rjdutch
rjdutch
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:22 pm

the domain name microvanowners.co.uk i can keep as it doesnt cost much to tick over in case we change minds at a later date & re-instate it.
its the hosting that costs the dosh, i'll email the company and cancel the hosting for now.

Facebook, there are several hijet groups out there, several i am a member of and posted the forum link several times Twisted Evil
as much as i use FB (lots) a FB group can kill the forum as its easier to post there.. why post again in the forum... so reluctant to start another group.
i also posted it on the main Daihatsu owners forum! lol.. to which i must say that we do get far faster replies to posts that they ever did & is why i created this forum.
This forum is also on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Hijet
it took several re-posts as some git kept on removing it.. but now they have left it alone.

BTW the tips on the web site are also posted here.. in the workshop section... if they arent, i can re-post/sticky them
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Re @r5ebook, not everyone is on it. No Some of us elderly gents struggle with the interweb Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:40 pm

FB was only a thought but try http://www.moonfruit.com/ you can use a current web name I think if you own it.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Please, don't go down the FB route. I am not on it and have no intentions of doing so.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 am

Logi wrote:Re @r5ebook, not everyone is on it. No Some of us elderly gents struggle with the interweb Wink

Your so right there confused

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:06 am

waz wrote:Please, don't go down the FB route. I am not on it and have no intentions of doing so.
I'll second that.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rjdutch Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:23 am

Logi wrote:Re @r5ebook, not everyone is on it. No Some of us elderly gents struggle with the interweb Wink

I guess Hi-Jet Twitter is out? Wink
rjdutch
rjdutch
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:43 pm

twit-twa-wot?
nah.
nah keep the forum, i come back to threads on stuff myself.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Empty the web site

Post by bones 851 Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:12 pm

i,ve been a member since l/p initiated this site, like the good lady states other sites have or seem to have a very poor response time to replys, i can access the forms without any trouble and often do for help, advice and a plain good laugh...., im not very computer friendly as i had to ask l/p to upload my initial photos of the jet way back, i dont mind losing this and that but hopefully we can remain within this domain without going elsewhere, twatter , @rsebook, blah blah ,

Merry christmas and a happy new year to all, oh and happy motoring
BONES851...... santa
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 am

emailed the hosting co to cancel the hosting for the web site last night. dont see them having an issue with that.
dont forget that so long as you have the forum bookmarked, things wont be affected.
i have all the how to's saved on my server so nothings lost. i will get them posted in the workshop section. maybe create a new section just for the how to's.

the other small thing... i run my own server with a static IP, to those who know.. i could host my own web sites.. an area i havnt dabbled in yet. so if the web site can be made a go, we still have other options.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Web site renewal due soon.. yes or no? Empty Another HiJetter who didn't know there was a website.

Post by pww Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:26 am

The Forum is a great resource (many thanks) but a dedicated website takes a lot of time as well as all the other overheads. I agree that you should convert the £50 into some form of alcohol and enjoy. Cheers!

pww
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm

as i dont drink... £50 beans would be a radiator for my streetfighter project or 3-4 weeks fuel for the other bike.. Very Happy
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Ditch it, i've just put a page on my site advertising this forum, and it rank pretty damn well Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:09 am

What is your site addy highjetted?

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:10 am

forget the above question, just found it

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:56 am

got the conformation that the web site side is cancelled. Smile
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down