Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After hours of searching... I see coilovers

5 posters

Go down

After hours of searching...  I see coilovers Empty After hours of searching... I see coilovers

Post by 8bit-ash Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Finally after trying different searches, google chrome translations, and link upon link i've found somewhere that actually sells Hijet coilovers. Well or at least did sell them, don't know if they do anymore.
They're also in Japan and probably very pricey.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.aero-over.com/cathand/detail-423376.html

Is there anyone who knows anyone that could make me a set for a reasonable price.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

After hours of searching...  I see coilovers Empty Re: After hours of searching... I see coilovers

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:55 pm

As you already have coil over oil shocks anyway I assume you want adjustable ones? I'll be back in a minute.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

After hours of searching...  I see coilovers Empty Re: After hours of searching... I see coilovers

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Right can find any but I remember an article in classic ford mag a while back you can get sleeves to go over your standard shock bodies, you remove the lower spring pan and then you weld the top on and slip a spring over the top but with out the adjustment on the damping you can't go far from stock anyway unless you know how to play with the internals. now if you were going to do a rear coil over conversion then I can help.

Last edited by rich the mechanic on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:03 pm

yeah the adjustable downward type. Seen those thread kits you get, thinking I might prepare a set made from a butchered set of standard dampers and some other similar corsa or polo etc coilovers. Need to find the correct springs and shorter damper inserts.

linky for someone who has done it to an acty -

http://www.ratdat.com/?p=1256

And a rascal for good measure -

After hours of searching...  I see coilovers Rrgathering_002
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Ah now Rich, what do you know about rear coilover conversions? I might be interested in something like that if it would improve progress over speed humps. (Not to mention improve comfort for my back!)
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 pm

yeah i'd be interested in what you know about that too.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Right the easy bit of the conversion is to replace the dampers with coil over bike type shocks the rest is not so easy trailing arms would need to be fabricated still not difficult and a watts linkage or panhard rod still not to hard but a spring rate for the leafs would need to be found and then it's a case of a bit of trial and error to get the rate how you need it (can be expensive). Now the only bit that I'm not sure of is the LHS damper is in front of the axle and the RHS is behind so may affect how it works.

After hours of searching...  I see coilovers 29880010

and look whatI found a pic of this time.

After hours of searching...  I see coilovers Coil_o10
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi 8Bit chap is asking the same question about coilsprings on the American site. Try this link http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=12559

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:48 am

I'd personally not use the standard shock mounts for coil springs.....

I'd weld a couple of new brackets onto the axles......

as for the axle location bars/anti tramp bars/etc......

well if you want to learn about them, look into SOA (spring over axle conversions) on 4x4s....
or 1/4 elliptical spring setups....

I was considering a SOA conversion on my Landy......

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:48 pm

I have been thinking about this sort of conversion on the van and as coil springs are usually linear on cars the setup for a van would be a huge compromise as even if you got progressive wound springs you still couldn't get one setup you would still need to adjust them for between empty and fully loaded so you can just change the leafs for a trailing arm and bung on some airbags a mount on the chassis and a comp and you are pretty much done.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Wouldn't load levelling dampers resolve that problem?

In any case I thought the Extol had coil springs; that is really just a tarted up Hijet. Couldn't that setup be copied over to the Hijet?
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm

no, what Rich means, is coil springs are generally configured with a single spring rate....

so it extends/compresses at the same rate....

so a spring designed to carry heavy loads (say the maximum permitted load of the hijet), wont offer a comfortable ride when empty....
vice versa, a spring designed for light loads, will wallow and roll around when loaded.....

leaf springs arent as bad as everyone makes out especially so called 'vehicle handling experts'.....

leaf springs can offer a better ride than a coil spring IF setup correctly.....

due to the design, the more load on a leaf spring, the hard the spring rate becomes.....

because of this, a leaf spring can offer a better, more stable ride across the entire spring range without any adjustments, or expensive equipment.....

the downside to leaf springs, is they generally arent as 'efficient' at absorbing small bumps (hence why a leaf sprung vehicle tends to feel 'bouncier')

BUT, there are methods you can use to improve a leaf spring....
take the spring pack apart, and then keep the leaves seperate, by using some rubber or poly spacer blocks....

depending on the thickness of the spacers, you might need to extend the spring pack clamps, to hold the pack together.
also, painting the leaves with a 'slippery' paint will help reduce friction.

with the spaced leaves, and slippery paint, the leaves themselves will move MUCH more easily, improving the ride quality.....

if you wanted to lower the van, you could leave on of the leaves out of the pack (then use the spacers to make up the missing spring thickness, so you might be able to use the standard spring pack clamps)

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:19 pm

difflock123 wrote:

if you wanted to lower the van, you could leave on of the leaves out of the pack (then use the spacers to make up the missing spring thickness, so you might be able to use the standard spring pack clamps)

I've done this and the ride was a lot nicer, lowered a couple of cm too.

I've since reversed the eye's oldskool hotrodder style and the rides ok till you hit the cut down bumpstops.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down