Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overdue intro

3 posters

Go down

Overdue intro Empty Overdue intro

Post by higginm6@gmail.com Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:19 am

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to all who have answered my posts in the past and for just posting in general. This is an invaluable site as I'm sure most of you know.

I purchased a very clean largely undriven 2006 Hijet / Porter van about two years in Dublin, Ire - a month before the first covid lockdown. I got to insulate it during this period which seems to have worked out. It was a bit of DIY job using scrap material but I'm happy enough. I'm now based in West Ireland, close to Limerick.

The vehicle itself is pretty sound, I think. It was suped up with alloys, black lights!, tinted rear window, alarm & bluetooth tech prior to purchase so that was kinda nice although the previous owner did drill holes in the roof to cater for a roof rack which I don't think was a good idea.

I'm a first time driver so it's great size in order to keep costs down. It's been passing the CVRT pretty well, some bulbs going, leaking brakes, headlamp discolouration but nothing too serious. I've been doing a lot of the repairs myself with a combination of a couple of manuals and all your help and that's worked out pretty well providing I have enough time to learn about vehicles in general and order incorrect parts. It's a bit of learning curve.

I haven't seen any others on the road in Ireland. There's a few Suzuki Carrys about but that's about it. I learned the Hijet was nicknamed 'Hovis' 20 years ago after the wee loaf of bread, I found that quite amusing. Dublin City Council used to have a fleet of them in the early 2000s so I do get stopped a bit with people reminiscing and also enquiring whether I'ld sell it!

It's an incredible vehicle for city driving and it's quite astounding how much stuff I can actually get into it! Mary Poppins-esque

I intend to take it on a trip to Europe for the winter. There's a boat from Ire-Spain which is handy!

Overdue intro Img_3210
Overdue intro Img_1010
Overdue intro Img_2610

Thanks!

higginm6@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Overdue intro Empty Re: Overdue intro

Post by PFM Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:40 pm

Welcome! We holiday in Ireland most years and I'd agree, Hijets/Porters are very thin on the ground there. If your tour includes Italy you should find more, possibly a time to stock up on spares.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:29 am

Good to hear from you Andrew keep on posting.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down