Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet

3 posters

Go down

Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet Empty Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet

Post by Jetcamper Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:31 pm

The brakes on my Hijet have always felt quite ....erm, sort of mushy and don't seem to have a definitive spot where they feel hard. I have had the fluid changed and I made sure it was Dot 3, but they always feel a bit like they need bleeding. I assume it must be normal.

Jetcamper

Back to top Go down

Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet Empty Re: Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:00 pm

It is usually because garages haven't got a clue how to bleed the Brake System with the LSPV valve above the rear axle.

It is exactly the same with bleeding the Cooling System - most of them are utterly clueless on how to bleed the system properly.

I have just got my MPV back on the road last Wednesday and put a much stronger spring on the LSPV and a bracket extension too, to raise the spring pressure more. With new discs and pads too it has never been better in the 5 years and 30,000 miles I have owned it for. Almost as good as ABS Brakes now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetcamper Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Ahh...I know about bleeding the cooling system but I didn't know about the brakes. How do I tackle that? I assume that valve is to stop the rear wheels locking up before the front.

Jetcamper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:13 pm

The first job is to jack the back axle up and unbolt the Push-rod and Spring from the axle bracket. Then tie the LSPV Operating Arm upwards so that it cannot move.

I always start the bleeding process at the Offside Front wheel. Then the Nearside Front. Next the bleed valve on the LSPV valve and finally the one on the Nearside Rear Wheel which bleeds both of the rear brakes.

I use a homemade Bleeding tube from Daihatsu Vacuum hose off of an Inlet Manifold. I push a 6mm ( 10mm head) set bolt into the end of the rubber pipe and cut a slit in the pipe close to the bolt. 15mm slit is fine. This acts as a one way valve. Put the end of the hose and bolt into a jam jar and push gently on the brake pedal. It is easier if you get someone to depress the brake pedal while you watch the fluid and air coming out of the Homemade Bleeding Tube. Once you have just fluid coming out of the first nipple, move on to the next one. Go gently with the little nipple on the LSPV though. Snap that and you are in trouble.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetcamper Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 am

Great, I'll do that later when I get some time free and when my mates ramp is free - I can't go crawling around at my age, bend my knees and I can't straighten them.

Jetcamper

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:56 am

That’s a great little tip about the pipe and putting a slit in it to act as a one way valve, fantastic cheap tip that one. Nice explanation as well as well.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 am

Well I have always been an inventive Cheapskate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 pm

This is what I have done to uprate the LSPV Lever arm pressure on the back brakes. I already had a brand new Coil Spring to help with the pressure on the arm. I nicked two brackets off of a couple of 12v Hi-Jet Horns. The centres of the holes is 65mm. I drilled a hole 15mm above one of the existing mounting holes and bolted two double brackets together with a small bolt and nut - small enough to slide in the slotted bracket on the axle. So you have got another 30mm that you can slide the bracket up even further if you need it. I have have tried this at various lengths with or without a load in the back.
I am putting Heavy Duty 4 leaf Porter Electric Pickup Springs on my MPV to stiffen up the rear end and I have already put some heavy duty Struts on a few weeks ago and some 9 coil springs rather than the normal 8 coil ones.
Just with the front ones done it is noticeably better handling.
I am going to put a couple of pictures up of the mod I have done to the LSPV Push Rod extension bracket. Also the homemade bleeding tube.

Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet Dsc_5210
Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet Dsc_5211
Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet Dsc_5212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:54 pm

Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet Dsc_5213
Brakes on a 1.3 Hijet Dsc_5214

My Mobile Bear Traps and a Hi-Jet Horn and the brackets I used to raise the spring height and tension.

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 am

Yes, follow Woodies bleeding sequence and pump plenty of fresh fluid through. I improved the LSPV lever arm pressure by adding another coil spring that fits inside the original one. Also make sure the pivot is free as they tend to seize up because no one greases them. When taking for the MoT some extra weight in the back also helps. My MoT garage has plenty of experience with LSPV problems - they are not exclusive to HiJets/Porters. The first time I took it there was little back brake efficiency although they could see I'd serviced the LSPV lever arm and pivot. The tester got his mate to sit in the back over the rear axle and the efficiency increased plenty enough to get a pass. I've got to say I'm really impressed with the brakes on my Porter, they are excellent.
biofos
biofos
Chatterbox

http://www.biofos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down