Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion)

3 posters

Go down

Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) Empty Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion)

Post by Raggy Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Get a coffee as this post may be a long one! My latest project (started last November) was to install electric windows in Skylark. Some may ask Why? When it’s such a small van you can reach the opposite side, well trouble is it’s not quite safe doing it whilst driving when you want a bit more ventilation. So after looking about for genuine Hijet electric windows I decided that they were harder to come by than bull bars! The next choice was to get one of the conversion kits, videos looked good and I took the plunge.
Fitting them (only attempted the drivers side) was relatively straight forward but I could never get it to work reliably. Sometimes it would work, other times it would jam. It wasn’t the runners etc more like there was too much inefficiency in the long drive from the motor to the window winder spindle and also where it could be fitted. To cut a long story short I abandoned them but I have re used the wiring harness and switches but these can be bought cheaply elsewhere i.e eBay.
After a bit of thinking, thought I would go to a system that did work, the standard way of opening a window, the motor directly driving the mechanism. A stab in the dark was an eBay purchase of two Daihatsu Sirion electric window winder mechanisms including motors for £15.
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) F6795f10

The next bit was to see if they fitted, they were not unfortunately a straight fit. The main arms of the mechanism are the same but the slider that controls keeping the window glass is longer. The other difference is that the toothed gear is fitted at a different angle.
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) A9a43310
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) 924f6110

Fortunately if you drill out the spot welds that hold it on it can be turned around and it becomes the correct orientation, re weld it back on and job done.
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) 451eb910

A tab on the bottom runner needs removing otherwise it catches on the door as it gets to the top. The winder/motor mechanism fits existing holes in the door but to fit the longer slide bar two new holes need to be drilled as shown. The other thing you would need to do is drill a new hole to match to existing spacing of the bolts that fix the window to the runner.
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) 5a4b6e10
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) 6ab49d10

Now all fitted and tested it’s the electrics, all fairly straight forward except it needs a 30A fused supply which is OK if you want a permanent supply but I only want them to work with ignition on so a relay had to be fitted which was triggered by a 12v switched supply.
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) C5940210
The switches from the kit were supposed to be fitted to the door panel but they didn’t look good and looked very ‘add on’. I took the choice to modify the wire harness and fit the switches in the handbrake console instead of the silly coin tray. Much better and easy to access. Not quite finished as I need to spray the modified console and actually fit the switches, think I may need to move something next to the handbrake but not looked yet.
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) 9cc75a10

Overall I am really happy with how it turned out. Took a long time to do but that was because there was a lot of trial and error fitting etc.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) Empty Re: Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion)

Post by kernowjon01 Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:35 pm

cheers Wow thank you for such a good description - I have to admit after reading what was involved I do not think this is a job I would want to undertake. But I take my hat off to you, that you will take on a task like this.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) Empty Re: Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion)

Post by Raggy Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Let’s just say...I like a challenge! Next project is a challenge but more of that another time
Ups and Downs with Skylark (electric window conversion) A2274910
Final pic to show it finished.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:54 pm

3 window switches?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:55 pm

Yup, driver can do passenger and passenger can do their own without fiddling about other side of handbrake, suppose could have got away with two but as thats how the original loom for them was set out I just kept it but changed the length as they were originally meant to be installed in pods mounted on the door cards, didn’t like that as they looked just add on rather than an original option.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Ah, I understand. Looks good enough to be original (of course it is, you did it!) - shame about the snag in the paint though. So what's the next challenge?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:38 pm

Yes paint snag was a ....snag, was great till I had to ‘generate’ some clearance beneath it for the switch! Caught the edge and cracked it. Will probably fix it shortly. The next project is.... Very Happy Question
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down