Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey imports

2 posters

Go down

Grey imports Empty Grey imports

Post by 602 Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:58 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of Grey Imports from Japan? Algy's Autos seem to say they have a good reputation for supplying rust free vehicles, and will supply to your order. Google ALGYS AUTOS (cos I can't post a link yet) ... or maybe you know them already.

They are not listing Hijets ... maybe there are none left in Japan, as their malevolent MOT rules make vehicles unviable after three weeks from new. They ARE listing micro trucks, starting at about £3,000. Presumably older vehicles would be cheaper ... if still available.

My query is academic. We could afford to pay that price, but it would probably involve a "Your dinner is in the dog!" type discussion with SWMBO. She says we do not need three cars. (Of course we do... we have parking space for five, so it's virtually mandatory). So somehow I have to justify the need for a third car. Perhaps I should ask motorcycle dealers to send me some brochures ... concentrate her mind?  Twisted Evil

Just brooding.

Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Grey imports Empty Re: Grey imports

Post by bushwhacker Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:13 pm

They seem to be saying that they will get anything you ask for, so all you need to do is ask! It's probably that people don't often ask for a Hijet.

There ought to be plenty available as they are still available new there but they will all be 660cc as that is the maximum allowed in Japan.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 602 Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Bushwhacker,

660cc? I can remember driving down Handscross Hill on the old A23, while my passenger tapped on the window of the car alongside.

"What?"

"How fast are we going?"

"Seventy!"

"Thankyou!" ... and I cranked the ignition and throttle levers (on the steering column round a bit more, left the other car behind. I was driving a 1932 Austin 7 (£10) ... a car on which brakes were not even an optional extra. Stupidly fast, highly regarded by all my mates ... in 1957.

I also drove my best mate's FIAT 500 Topolino (£15), but not enough for it to form an impression. He was shot dead in Tooting, 1966-ish.

Also owned a Citroen Dyanne that was barely adequate (possibly something like 450cc?) and a three 2CV, one of which would indicate 80mph ... very few cars overtook it.

But then, I also owned Robin Rew's racing barge, Reliant Scimitar GTE LBM536G, which pulled 30mph per 1000rpm, and red-lined at 6500rpm. I'll let you do the math. SWMBO commented that "if SHE joined the slip road at 130mph .... " I eventually decided that it was "jail bait", and sold it.

At my age, Their Worships like to hit my generation with DTTP (Disqualified till test passed) which effectively reduces you to a provisional licence (with teeth). So I'm happy to poodle along in a fifty year old Land Rover.

660cc sounds good, if it means a low VED band (SWMBO is paying £30 on 1200cc).

Thinking about that, if a micro mini-bus is registered as a car, and built after 2002, it should also pay peanuts for VED. ??? Vans and pick-ups will be taxed at the blanket Goods Vehicle rates, up to 1600cc, or over 1600cc. I might be out of date on those.

I was browsing Ebay ... one project currently at £155. I noticed it seemed to have sliding rear doors on both sides. Is that normal?

Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:12 pm

You can get turbocharged ones from Japan but still 660cc, this will probably be about the same power as a 993cc one here.

Two sliding doors are normal.

An MPV of the appropriate age will be charged commercial vehicle road tax.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:33 pm

As BW says any Hi-Jets registered 2002 onwards will pay a lot higher Road Tax as they can only be classed as Light Commercial as they didnt comply with the Air Bag regulations that a car needed. You will need to buy a 1998 to 2001/2 to enjoy the lower road tax rates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Grey imports Img-2018
Grey imports Img-2019
Grey imports 20120710
Grey imports 20120711
Grey imports Img-2020

Slightly different 2CV. Touch of Barry McGuire and The New Christian Minstrels " Three Wheels On My Wagon". This Hi-Jet is 23years old and is 660cc. Currently for sale at £4,000.

Back to top Go down

Post by 602 Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:33 am

<<< An MPV of the appropriate age will be charged commercial vehicle road tax. >>>

<<< As BW says any Hi-Jets registered 2002 onwards will pay a lot higher Road Tax as they can only be classed as Light Commercial as they didnt comply with the Air Bag regulations that a car needed. >>>

Hi Both,

I didn't realise that commercial vehicles were exempt from air bags. But then, I didn't know they were mandatory on passenger vehicles. Do kit-cars require air bags for their SVA? there is no mention of them in my SVA guide.

Six sear belts would be a different matter. Hmm! Fit a roll-over cage with seat belt bracket for four rear passengers?

Imported vehicles over ten years old are exempt from SVA. I would expect a six seater to be classed as a car. Mini-buses start at 8 seats.

There is something in the rules about the ratio between "distance between steering wheel and back of rear-most seat" and "distance between back of rear-most seat and back of truck" being the deciding factor ... Is it a car or is it a goods vehicle?

Whatever, I suspect I'm on a hiding to nothing on this, though I have emailed Algy's Autos asking for a ball-park figure for a late 1990s Hijet. You can't have too muck knowledge.

Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down