Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Adventures of Skylark

4 posters

Go down

The Adventures of Skylark Empty The Adventures of Skylark

Post by Raggy Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Seeing as I have bored you all with the renovation of Skylark I thought I would now attempt to do the same with a record of its first major trip and tbe holiday that was the target of the renovation originally.
The destination is Logi country....Scotland! Or more precisely near Lochgilphed on the west coast. So far its been about 4.5hours with a stop for lunch and now stopping overnight in Moffat north of Carlisle. Skylark has performed admirably, avg 55mph all the way without a problem at speed or in ques which there have been a few. Raised a few smiles along the way when people see it.
The Adventures of Skylark Imag0615
She sits just nice between the BMWs parked up Very Happy
I'll post updates as we travel
44.23mpg so far
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

The Adventures of Skylark Empty Re: The Adventures of Skylark

Post by tornas Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Very Happy

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by obelisk Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Love..my Buzz has a white roof too...Smile

obelisk
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:58 am

Better hope it's waterproof, not the best weather we've had lately. I missed this, or I'd have said to go see the Spitfire lying in someone's front garden
( Supamarine, not Triumph)
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:05 am

I'll update this with a few phots etc as soon as I get some reliable internet connection! Currently waiting to catch the ferry to Isle of Islay ( where my wife grew up and her dad was a distillary manager) for the day, Skylark staying in the car park. So car so good with Skylark, handled every type of road put her way anx yes Logi, all sorts of damp weather...no leaks so far!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:06 am

Islay eh, if you dock in Port Askaig look right as you come in, the next bay has a couple of wee cottages, tis where my family is from a looooong time ago.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:08 am

You may get WiFi on the ferry, but Calmac are living in the dark ages.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:16 am

plans dashed Logi, ferry is in dry dock having repairs so next is at 1pm, no use for a day trip so currently in Tarbet coffee shop watching the rain trying to catch what internet signal we can!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Stay over? Head back via Colonsay to oban?
Or do the Bridge Over The Atlantic, ( look it up Wink)
How far up are you going?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:09 pm

The Adventures of Skylark Imag0617
Lunch at Loch Gilphead, staying in a cottage on a friends farm so plan to go back on holiday to Islay again but with van next time. Been to Islay for holiday a few times before, this was just a quick visit for old times sake. Sunshine is out!...ready for next shower!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:37 pm

Well not quite the regular updates as I had hoped due to the variability of the internet connection I could get out in the wilds i.e. all depended o  the direction of the wind! Anyway I'll post up a few pics and a few words for those who have nothing else better to do than read my ramblings.

Getting to Scotland, in fact the outer edges is never quite as quick as you expected as there are no direct routes anywhere. You can't go direct, you have to go down the side of one loch, then around the other side then back down again to get somewhere you could see across the water not half an hour ago.
Total mileage for the trip ended up at a round 1000 miles averaging 44mpg over the whole trip.
If you fancy a trip to Scotland then I can recommend the west coast, the roads are just perfect for a hijet, narrow, twisty, off camber corners, up, down, you name it. Try the  coastal road to Oban, brilliant!
Anyway, here are a few pics to give you a flavour.
Didnt camp on this trip as we were staying at a friends farm in the wilds but next trip could be camping.
As far as Skylark goes she performed beautifully, motorway and country roads,managed everything that was thrown at her. Only two issues, steeling column cover fell off on first evening (no idea where that screw went) and I manage to drain the battery by leaving the lights on while we went for a walk...ooops! AA to the rescue, good job we were somewhere with phone reception at the time!
The Adventures of Skylark Imag0621
At the border
The Adventures of Skylark Imag0623
The Adventures of Skylark Imag0622
I do actually fit comfortably in the van and yes Woody I do have a license to display those legs in public!
The Adventures of Skylark Imag0620
The long 'main' road ahead.
The Adventures of Skylark Imag0618
Coffee time.
The Adventures of Skylark Imag0619
Van makes a good place to have a nap!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:50 pm

Great pics, shame you didn't get the weather(it's sometimes not shit up here, honest...)
Ideal wee van for the west coast, if anyone's planning a trip give me a shout, i know some non touristy spots well worth visiting
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:35 pm

Yes weather wasn't the best but we did have some sunshine honest, and it didnt stop us getting out and about. The midges stayed away till the very last moment when we were saying ourgoodbyes and the little blighters descended on us...grrrr...bit everywhere, even had a few try to make it back in the van with us! Didnt realise hw small they were...but so deadly!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down