Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overheating, losing coolant but not sure why...

2 posters

Go down

Overheating, losing coolant but not sure why... Empty Overheating, losing coolant but not sure why...

Post by maralions Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:10 am

Hi everyone,

So the new engine is in, running very nice with no oil problems so far. Fingers crossed.

However, now I am having overheating problems on stop start/traffic journeys. I have done the following:

- checked thermostat - working fine
- replaced both radiator caps with sprung ones (not the normal type)
- bled the system (and do this every time it needs more coolant) using the funnel and pipe process with the bleed nipple under the driver seat, squeezing hoses, etc.
- run up to temp both before and after a drive to check for leaks, none seen
- flushed radiator, top and bottom pipe run hot

I can't figure out where I'm losing coolant. There's no gunk in the filler cap now. The only thing I can think of is that the front radiator cap needs to be a normal one and not a sprung one - could that be the problem?

Any ideas? Shocked scratch elephant

maralions
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Overheating, losing coolant but not sure why... Empty Re: Overheating, losing coolant but not sure why...

Post by Logi Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:19 am

Big debate about this, my 2p worth is don't use a sprung one there. Others may disagree. Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Overheating, losing coolant but not sure why... Empty Re: Overheating, losing coolant but not sure why...

Post by maralions Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:55 pm

For the £2 a new one costs it's probably worth replacing.

Any other ideas?

maralions
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by maralions Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:15 am

Right well I found the problem, the bleed nipple was bust. Of course I couldn't see the leak until the other half had a look after a ride and it was right there... I think the van did it on purpose to make me look stupid. Anyway it's fixed now, and I can confidently say that it's running the way it should. Sounds great, no smoke, no gunk, no overheating. Like a Hijet dream! After a LOT of effort (and help!). So thanks everyone!

maralions
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:04 am

cheers
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:42 am

The sweet smell of success -  or the smell of hot anti-freeeze in your case. Well done  to both of you for all your perseverance. I was 100% happy that the engine was a good one. 

I just got the Invoice from Hampshire Freight Saturday morning for sending the engine up to you.  I had better get that promptly  paid today in case I need them again.  Although it is now unlikely that I will carry on with the Hi-Jet business when I can hopefully can get back to the Garage. I haven't been there since the Stroke. 
My wife and son have been picking up the letters and checking the Security Cameras  for unwanted visitors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down