Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help please! Leaking inlet manifold

Go down

Help please! Leaking inlet manifold Empty Help please! Leaking inlet manifold

Post by Newby Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi everyone
I have been lurking for a few weeks and have just been to look at my 1st hijet which I am thinking of buying. I used the excellent guide on the site and was all set to let the engine warm up and see if it overheated, when I noticed an alarming amount of fuel dripping out of the front inlet manifold (the one you can see from the drivers seat). Wasn't happy to make an offer not knowing what the problem is or how costly it is to fix, plus I was very concerned safety wise it might catch fire. I've taken a picture of the issue, can anyone please advise what this is likely to cost and how easy it is to fix?
Can't upload pics to site from my mobile so will post that later.
Thanks

Newby

Back to top Go down

Help please! Leaking inlet manifold Empty Re: Help please! Leaking inlet manifold

Post by Newby Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:54 pm

Help please! Leaking inlet manifold Hijet211

It is leaking out of the top of the yellow bit in the middle of the picture (sorry for the non-technical terms)

Newby

Back to top Go down

Help please! Leaking inlet manifold Empty Re: Help please! Leaking inlet manifold

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:17 am

That is the Fuel rail. The"yellow bit in the middle" as you so eloquently put it is a Fuel Injector. Simply put, there is a rubber seal on the top of the Injector. You are going to have to strip the fuel rail off and replace all four seals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Newby Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:58 am

Thanks for the reply, as you've not doubt guessed I don't know much about engines. Would you be able to advise if this is something easy to fix/costly? And where I can find out exactly what seals I'd need?

Newby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:30 am

You are pushing your luck now don't you think?? Shocked
Got a busy day today. Going over to the Mainland later to pick up a Hi-Jet amongst other things. I will get back on here this evening.
I wouldn't have thought that the seals were a kings ransom. In fact, thinking about it I have a large box of new assorted O rings. I will have to take a Fuel Injector Rail off and have a look at the seal size.
In the unlikely case of the Injector leaking, you won't want to be buying one of those new for sure. I have got plenty of them so that's not a problem. In fact I have got loads of Hijet spares to say the least. But not enough Headlights. Can never have too many Headlights. They are one of the Hi-Jet's many Achilles Heel's. Hopefully the ones on this one you are proposing to buy are ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Newby Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks Woodie, much appreciated. I know you are one of the resident experts ☺ I just don't want to end up with an expensive bill and realise I've been sold a dud. Given it is leaking fuel at a fair rate I'm leaning towards asking the seller to fix it as I wouldn't feel safe driving it with fuel leaking out and have a longish journey to get it home!

Newby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:41 am

You definitely don't want to drive it, or home will be in the nearest scrapyard.
Only option is to get the owner to get it fixed and then drive it and see what it is like before making any rash, soon regretted decisions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down