Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bubble wrap

2 posters

Go down

Bubble wrap Empty Bubble wrap

Post by chinfuk Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:53 pm

I have been given a huge roll of bubble wrap (just standard bubble wrap, not the foil stuff) and was thinking of glueing it to the metal on the inside of the doors and where ever else I can hide it. Is this a stupid thing to do? Will it just make my van rot much quicker? Any other cheapskates done this. Cheers
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Bubble wrap Empty Re: Bubble wrap

Post by elfin girl Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Good question, I have a huge roll of it too and was wondering the same. However the question of insulation comes up a lot on the Facebook motor home groups and they frown apon it! Seems the foil stuff then some other non rotting insulation before boarding seems to be the preffered method. But then we don't have as much space for a lot of insulation.
The person who had mine before me has put expanding foam in a lot of the gaps. I've no idea if it's any improvement though as don't know what it would be like without it
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:18 am

I've heard about expanding foam being used in cars with massive stereos to stop rattles and improve the bass but I guess but it must also help with heat insulation :-) is it in the pillars and all the vertical cavities between the windows (what ever they are called) I might try that too because they are effectively heat sinks surely?

I'm thinking if they are glued on well enough so that no moisture can get in between the bubble wrap and metal and sit there it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe stick a space blanket over that too ☺

I also read sheep's wool being used but this would definitely hold moisture so I'm not sure if it's even an issue, maybe it's more to do with fire hazard or something. Got some old foam camping mats too thinking about it, that must be even better but no doubt also frowned upon too :-/

Thanks for the reply
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:37 am

I know we don't have the ribs and gaps to fill like most vans,

is yours a panel van?
I've seen Bubble wrap cut to the size of windows in green houses and stuck on to increase insulation in winter, might be a good idea for a van too :-)
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:04 pm

Yep, I have a panel van, I'm not sure how far the expanding foam goes, I only know it's there because the door card on sliding door keeps popping of and its got foam in there!
And yes the wool is also "frowned apon" in the motor home groups, they say it holds moisture causing problems, although there are others that say they have it and it's fine, a lot of the people who have had problems with it live in them full time
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down