Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2002 hijet pickup/rascal romahome

3 posters

Go down

2002 hijet pickup/rascal romahome Empty 2002 hijet pickup/rascal romahome

Post by timinpoole Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:27 am

Hi all, I've recently bought an old rascal/supercarry romahome and a 2002 hijet pickup after being told they were 100% compatible. After attempting to put the romahome on the bed of the pickup it quickly became clear that the bed of the truck was about a foot too long. Has anybody on here tried this before is there a fix for this or should i just start again? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Cheers Tim.

timinpoole

Back to top Go down

2002 hijet pickup/rascal romahome Empty Re: 2002 hijet pickup/rascal romahome

Post by Scarface GTti Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:44 am

Woody is the man to ask about anything Romahome.

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:57 pm

I wonder if it's a Big Deck pick-up?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarface GTti Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:45 pm

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by timinpoole Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:46 am

doh! ive bought the wrong one!! what a doughnut i didn't realise there different ones. Guess I'm going to have a look for another one and sell this one.

timinpoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarface GTti Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Tim, the beds are interchangeable I believe. At the end of the back chassis on the passenger side is the plug for the rear electrics. Unplug this and disconnect the handbrake cables and a few clips and the back lifts off. Big Decks are hard to come by so i'd think it more than plausible that someone may carry out a swap of decks. Failing that Woody is breaking a pickup or two so you may be able to purchase a standard deck and sell you Big one.

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarface GTti Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:10 pm

https://plus.google.com/photos?pid=6126784125341255234&oid=104609106440562923935

Theres some bolts in the white strip at the base of the rear of my cap. Then there are 6 bolts in the chassis, as you follow down the chassis with your eye from the cab you'll see two raised towers and then there is a bolt at the very end of the chassis. I took mine off in 10 minutes.

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Big Deck is 10" longer and 2" wider. If you want to do a swap I am just across the water in the Isle of Wight and can help you do the swopover. Email me your mobile number or landline number to:
hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com. Once I have your number in my contacts then you can reach me. All calls except family, friends and Forum members are blocked as I am now supposed to be retired. But I am there for 99% of Forum members so not a problem.
Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:18 am

If you have been told that it's a straight swop over the Romahome body then that is not quite the case.
Once you have the right bed on the back you
will have to ditch the gearbox cover in the bed and cut bolt lugs and location chanel off.
Next the mounting blocks will have to come off and be relocated and drilled and bolted through.
Next you will have to buy some perspex and cut it to shape of the bulkhead aperture/window and make a frame from double glazing trim and screw or rivet and glue it in place so that it seals the Romahome body up and stops wind and rain getting in.
The aperture is much bigger than the Daihatsu rear window so that has to left in place so there is no access between the Cab and the Romahome body.

Has it got fixed Windows, Oblong opening windows or opening Diamond shape ones??

If you look at rear door frame by the top hinge of the upper door it will have the date of manufacturing stamped there.
Any help or advice or parts email me as I have said in previous post.
hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down