Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Betty' is revving way too much and not settling down (can I fix her myself?)

2 posters

Go down

'Betty' is revving way too much and not settling down (can I fix her myself?) Empty 'Betty' is revving way too much and not settling down (can I fix her myself?)

Post by tara100 Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello all

Hope you are all coping with the chilly weather (I haven't posted for a while)

I need some advice please......Since the change in the weather, Betty has been a bit naughty - She is revving like crazy on starting up and doesn't really drop the revs very much even when she is warm and I have driven 10-15 miles and more.

I saw mention on another thread about the 'idle speed screw' and wondered if this could fix her problem? I'm getting through a lot more petrol and as Betty is running rich, it can't be doing her much good Sad
Is this screw easy to find, and is it something I could fiddle with? (I'm loathe to pay a garage if I could do the job myself easily)

Can you help please?

Many thanks
Tara
tara100
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

'Betty' is revving way too much and not settling down (can I fix her myself?) Empty Re: 'Betty' is revving way too much and not settling down (can I fix her myself?)

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi what model have you got? it sounds like a stuck cold idle if you have a carb model it could be a sticky cable or wax stat id its a EFI then it could be a sensor problem or unpluged connection.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

'Betty' is revving way too much and not settling down (can I fix her myself?) Empty Re: 'Betty' is revving way too much and not settling down (can I fix her myself?)

Post by tara100 Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Rich

She's a 2003 EFI model.......It sounds like I can't have a tinker then?

Tara
tara100
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 pm

don't be silly course you can first go round the motor and make sure there are no hoses or leads that are no longer attached to where they should be you are looking for clean bits and things hanging loose then if that doesn't cure it take plugs apart one by one and check they are clean and corrosion free, don't forget half of them are on the back of the head under the cowl behind the front seats if you still haven't solved it we'll look at the next bit. Also check that no hoses or wires have become trapped, pinched or cut off while you are in the engine bay. good luck.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:20 pm

Also check that no hoses or wires have become trapped, pinched or cut off while you are in the engine bay. good luck.

I'm gonna need luck and plenty of it, but I'll have a go Laughing
I think it's going to be hissing down all day tomorrow, and then my next chance to have a peek is at the weekend, but I'll post back soon.

Thanks again Rich I love you
tara100
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down