Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heating doesn't work and engine light

4 posters

Go down

Heating doesn't work and engine light Empty Heating doesn't work and engine light

Post by JohanNL Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Having the van for a few days now; 1.3 EFI engine.
Runs very nice as far as I can tell.
The temperature gauge is always a bit below half way, so not pointing upwards completely, but a bit before that, I'm guessing that's ok.
Today, for the first time (didn't even test it during test drive) I turned on the heating, so I put the lever to the left, and turned on the blower a bit.
As the engine was warm already I expected some heat, but only cold air came in..
To make things "worse" after a few kilometres even the "check engine" light came on..
Van ran very good still, so I simply stopped, turned off the ignition and started it again.
Later I tried it again, and it really only shows up when I turn on the heating inside.

Anyone having/had similar problems?

JohanNL
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Heating doesn't work and engine light Empty Re: Heating doesn't work and engine light

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:21 am

Which setting did you have the blower on? as in windscreen, face, feet etc? some settings only direct cold air into the cab. Make sure its on the windscreen setting and it should be warm.

If its still cold you have an airlock or other problem with your cooling system.

As for the engine light, you need to read the code to determine what is causing that. What year is your van? As there are 2 different ways to read the code depending on the age of the van.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Heating doesn't work and engine light Empty Re: Heating doesn't work and engine light

Post by JohanNL Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 am

Only tried the "face" setting, I Will try the others in a few hours.. The van is from 98

JohanNL
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:29 am

I think the face setting is cold air only so fingers crossed nothing to worry about Smile

HighlyJetted has done a guide for reading the fault codes on your van on his website:

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/hijet-diagnostic-engine-warning-light-flash-codes/
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanNL Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 am

Fingers crossed indeed.
A bit past noon we will know.

And thanks for the link!

JohanNL
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 am

No problem, there is lots of good info on his site Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Vents are cold, feet & screen should be hot. Dunno why the vents are cold only, but they are. Doubt eml is connected to heat issue though.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanNL Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Indeed, as you described.. I didn't try having the temperature to hot, and the choice on vents yet though.. That's where it went "wrong" last time..
In a few hours we will know that, gonna try all the combinations with that panel..
But indeed, might as wel be that it's not connected to the engine management light showing up..
Thanks already though!
In the evening I will try the flash code guide.. Smile

JohanNL
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanNL Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 pm

The check-engine light didn't show up anymore for a while, until today..
It went on after a few hundred meters of driving, and stayed on until I shut down the car.
Because the engine was running well and didn't hear any weird sounds or so, I kept on driving.

Few minutes ago I tried the flashcodes, and this came out:
•52 – Vehicle speed sensor signal – open or shorted

Gonna search the forum for solutions now..

Indeed today I noticed that the km/h arrow starts from 10, so it doesn't drop to a 0 km/h..

Does anyone know at what speed to shift gears normally btw?
Because I really have no clue..
I'm used to driving big cars with 6 cylinder engines which where very silent, and now I got into a 4 cylinder, very noisy engine.
I'm thinking of sound-isolating the engine hoods from the inside of the engine-bay to lower sound, but in the meantime, I think I shift gears way too early..

Last question has nothing to do with heating or lights showing up, but opening a new post for it seemed a bit over-done..

Thanks again!

JohanNL
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:10 pm

The speedo stopping at 10 is normal. However the VSS is built into the clocks on these, i would check the wiring first though just in case.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanNL Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Good that that's normal Smile
Is it normal because they didn't build em that well, or why is it?
I mean, I'm gonna take out and do stuff with the dash and everything later, so maybe I could "fix" it..
Wow, ehm ok, what to check, and where? Razz
I found some 3pin connectors btw, underneath the middle of the dash..
Anyone know what they are for?
Heating doesn't work and engine light Wp_20119
Heating doesn't work and engine light Wp_20120

JohanNL
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Vss errors are very common, normally the reed switch it going duff in the clocks. I tend to ignore it as long as the speedo works.

My daily runner hijet does it occasionally, light will come on, read the vss code, reset it, then doesnt come back for 6 months.

If its really persistant then change the clocks.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanNL Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 pm

How to reset the codes btw?
I think I didn't read that part in the provided link.

JohanNL
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Disconnect the battery!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanNL Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:53 pm

That easy? NICE! Very Happy
My previous cars were too computery it seems.. They all needed some half-hour procedures, or an expensive trip to the (st/d)ealer..

Tomorrow I will unplug the battery and start taking out the dash from the spare-part van, and open the clockwork to see how that's put together and how it works Smile

JohanNL
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down