Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding door handles

3 posters

Go down

Sliding door handles  Empty Sliding door handles

Post by ToaseMan Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Hello all
About a month or so ago i went to open up one of the doors on the old Hi-jet van, Only to find the bloody thing snap and fall apart in my hand!
I know you can replace them for about £20?, But when reading reviews on these vans i hear its quite a common problem.
So plan might be to just do away with the normal hi-jet handles and fit some off a different van/(Or car if it would fit).
Would any of you happen to know of any door handles that would be a fairly easy fit to the van, that are quite easy to get hold of?
Or is it just too much hassle and better off just leaving the normal hi-jet handles on?
ToaseMan
ToaseMan
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Sliding door handles  Empty Re: Sliding door handles

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Nope, not found anything suitable yet, you'd be lucky too!

Normally its half to do with the sliding doors not sliding very well. So fix the bearing.

Also those copy handles on ebay need adjustments to make them fit, they are not actually for the S85 hijets as advertised, they are for the earlier 1970's 1980's hijets. As such the plastic is not moulded right. Some people pack them off with washers to give them space, but this makes them more likely to break sooner. If you file some plastic off the back you can make them fit perfectly.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ToaseMan Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Nope, not found anything suitable yet, you'd be lucky too!

Normally its half to do with the sliding doors not sliding very well. So fix the bearing.
Ah ok...humm might slap some grease on tomorrow night and compare it to the working hi-jet. Could just be it needs some grease, van is been used as a shed, And if i remember rightly the last owner only used it now and again to go to carboots.
So i guess its quite out of the picture to replace with a different type of handle, Unless i wanted to take on a bit of work, which then could be more hassle than its worth.
Worst bit is, the other hi-jet has a bust door with a perfectly good handle that is not be used, Just its the wrong side!
ToaseMan
ToaseMan
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Don't just grease them, have a look at the bearing that runs on the stainless runner.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ToaseMan Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Right. fianly got the energy to go and inspect the door bearings on both vans. and here is my findings (Not really taken a look at the bottom runner that goes under the vans floor) (Diesel van 1997, EFI 1998? (facelift version anyway))

Diesel van O/S(side with broken handle)
Top runner bearing appears to be moving free enough, spinning happily when door is in motion
Outside stainless runner, Running free enough in both directions
Diesel van N/S
Top runner- Front roller only moving when door is shutting, back roller not moving at all
Out side stainless runner- front roller not moving, Middle bearing moving in both directions, Back roller not moving
EFI Hi-jet O/S
Top runner- Both rollers not moving
Out side stainless runner- front roller works both ways. Middle roller missing. back roller only works one way

So i recon the handle most likely went as the door was hardly ever used, so stiff when first opening.
As for my findings on the EFI Hi-jet how badly would you say it needs attending too.
How much is a new set of door bearings? How big a job is it? How important is it?. Just to note door the O/S door is used the most.
ToaseMan
ToaseMan
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehn Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi Toaseman
Just ordered some from this seller, just go on ebay and put in the item number.
eBay item number:
Cheers

mikehn
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down