Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hot weather

5 posters

Go down

hot weather Empty hot weather

Post by singledad Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:31 pm

how is everones hijet copeing in the heat?, took mine out for most of the day yesterday in lots of trafic jams and needle stayed about halfway maybe a mill over on one acasion but all good,later we went in land to have a cuppa and rest went up steep hill on unmade road so first gear then gauge went to 3/4 b4 fan cut in! is this normal

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

hot weather Empty Re: hot weather

Post by xxemaphorr Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:04 pm

sounds like normal behaviour- that's about what mine does and Ive never had any overheating problems (touches nearby wood)
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Mine just runs at the same spot all the time (just below half way marker).

Even when I thrash it about with loads of weight it in rarely goes just above half.

I never sit in traffic though as I don't live near a city or do a peak time commute.

If you work an engine hard with out moving very quickly it will get hot. So hit that unmade road next time at 30mph in 2nd or 3rd and bounce your way up it!!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:03 pm

I used to do a 40 mile round trip commute to Lincoln and back for 4 years in some very busy traffic and I think my radiator fan has only ever been needed once or twice. It's actually quite an efficient little coolant system (when its working right!)
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:07 pm

xxemaphorr wrote:I used to do a 40 mile round trip commute to Lincoln and back for 4 years in some very busy traffic and I think my radiator fan has only ever been needed once or twice. It's actually quite an efficient little coolant system (when its working right!)

I'm glad you think that - I've said it a couple of time on various places and been laughed at.

It's simple and effective - just has a problem with not being able to cope if there is a small leak that causes air pockets that never self vent.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm

I must admit I was a little daunted about working on the hijet coolant system as everything else I've ever done just bleeds itself. But I went the whole hog and replaced everything; pump, thermostat, caps, all the hoses, clamps for jubilees, radiator flush and stripped and cleaned the metal pipes (which are fun getting in and out!) and used the zerocol red with de-ionised water, followed HJ's method (with a watering can on a ladder for a header) and so far its been absolutely perfect! very pleased
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Mine's been closer to the hot bit than I've been happy with, going to change the thermostat, see what happens.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:12 pm

i think mine has a lower setting thermostat/fan sensor coz some mornings/afternoons the fan comes on before the engine starts after being sat for 8hrs.. not complaining mind..
as soon as i see slow traffic/jams i turn the hot lowers on/windows down.. it all helps the dreaded warped head away.. been there done that few years ago with another van. lessons learnt that i use now.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:54 pm

i think my fan is cutting in rather late is there a part that can be replace to sort this

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm

I tried getting hold of a new fan sensor when I was renewing my system. Is it a spare part only job? Surely it would either work or not? Engine temp sensor that supplies the gauge maybe?
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:42 pm

If you can't buy one then use one of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Thermostat-Tempature-Control-Kit-Radiator-Cooling-Fans-/390621107985?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af2d51711

I fitted one to a landrover a few months back and they work ace.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down