Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hijet Camper Predicament...

4 posters

Go down

Hijet Camper Predicament... Empty Hijet Camper Predicament...

Post by gill... Thu May 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Hello,
I'm new here but thought it'd be the best place to share my predicament...
I have a lovely, amazing little silver Daihatsu Hijet that I've had for just over a year and has got me totally sold on little mini vans. It's kitted out professionally as a camper with a pop up roof and I've had a fantastic year in her. She passed the MOT in February but since then I've had issues with the battery- needing charging every week or so...I thought it might be a problem with the split charge (I don't use the leisure battery, and have already checked alternators etc) so pulled out some wires to no avail- battery still keeps dying. So at the moment I'm looking at having to make her SORN in the next few weeks which breaks my heart.
I am wondering about maybe letting Sylvie move on....and perhaps look at getting a slightly newer Piaggio Porter (does any one know if these are literally just newer Hijets..?) but that leaves me with the coolest van ever with possibly no loving home, and I can't do the whole scrapping thing- I still think she's got loads of life left in her if someone with a bit more knowledge and "tinkering" capabilities than me would find her a good project...?
I was thinking of turning her into a Super Shed at the bottom of the garden but if she can live on the road again I'd be much happier...
Has any one had similar issues or have any suggestions..? I'd be grateful for any advice-
Thanks,
Gill

gill...

Back to top Go down

Hijet Camper Predicament... Empty Re: Hijet Camper Predicament...

Post by HighlyJetted Thu May 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Either the battery is knackard or there is a current leak somewhere.

If the battery is older than 3 or 4 years or so, it's more than likely past its life span

But at the same time, if there is a circuit somewhere eating the battery then a new battery will be knackard after a few months of constant discharge.

A way to tell, would be to charge the battery, use the van once, then disconnect the battery and see if it still starts a week or two later. If it does you know the fault isn't the battery.

A half decent auto electrician will be able to work out where the current leakage is.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gill... Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Hello,
Thanks for your reply- I got a new battery about 8 months ago so I think it is a circuit leak somwhere. I might try and look for a mobile electrician as I stopped my insurance so cannot drive her at the moment...
Out of interest do you know anything about piaggio porters? Whether they are literally just newer hijets? I'm wondering about going for a slightly newer van to try and reduce reliability problems- or whether to keep trying with Sylvie...I have a car that I'm using at the moment and it is too expensive to keep them both going- ideally I would like to just have one van that is reliable enough. So ye- lot's of umming and ahhing at the moment...

gill...

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Fri May 17, 2013 6:04 pm

the new porters are higher on road tax. thats the main reason i wont get one.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri May 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Same van pretty much from what I can find, after all they all say Piaggio under the drivers seat.

Never messed with one in the flesh.

I think the really late ones, that are just a couple of years old have way more complicated engine management systems - like all cars - to meet emissions requirements.

If your current van isn't rotten or butchered, I'd be temped to keep it.

If you live up near me in Crewe, I would come and find your current leakage issue.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gill... Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Ah thank you so much for that- sorry for the delayed reply I've been away...I'm down in Cardiff but thank you for the offer! Ye it's in fab nick apart from that so ye- might try and get an electrician to take a look- fix the battery/split charge issue once and for all...thanks for your help everyone Smile

gill...

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 pm

If its in good nick otherwise, deffo a keeper.
Easy way to test the battery if its not turning the engine( if its not sealed)
Take the caps off, try to turn the engine over, look in the battery. If any cells are bubbling its goosed.
Obviously unless you have 8 foot arms you will need assistance Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down