Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It has died AGAIN !!!!! No spark no fuel !!!

4 posters

Go down

It has died AGAIN !!!!! No spark no fuel !!! Empty It has died AGAIN !!!!! No spark no fuel !!!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:36 pm

In the words of Victor Meldrew -- " I don't believe it !" It has been on the button every time for two weeks now. I have just gone out to start it and it is spinning over like a crocodile in a death roll --- but will not fire up.

Out of curiosity I have checked out all three of the camshaft sensors I have had on there and all three are reading 192 to 198 ohms with slight variations as you turn it to the next quadrant so one assumes that it has got to be a dodgy conection on the sensor connector or the connector wire ( which is rock hard due to prolonged heat one assumes ) so perhaps that wire is suspect . Wires could be broken in the plastic sheathing I suppose.

I have checked out the battery wire on this truck the same as you suggested HJ regarding the MPV I bought. It looks in good condition and goes into a grey two pin tubular connector. Taking it apart, both connections are clean ,bright and shiny so I am blowed if I know what to make of it.

Too cold and dark now so will be grovelling underneath in the morning. Failing that change my Motor Trade policy to Fully Comp and set fire to the damn thing. affraid

Back to top Go down

It has died AGAIN !!!!! No spark no fuel !!! Empty Re: It has died AGAIN !!!!! No spark no fuel !!!

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:16 pm

woody50 wrote:all three are reading 192 to 198 ohms with slight variations as you turn it to the next quadrant

That is quite normal as they operate with a magnet and a coil - they are a type of hall effect /inductor sensor. Depending on how the magnet sits, it will slightly alter the resistance.

But I thought they were supposed to test out at 220 ohm - I've only tested early model ones though.

Does this vehicle has the 4 x coil packs or and obd2 connector under the dash board? (I can't tell you what they should test at off the top of my head as they may be different.)

But to give you some questions that will lead to the answer.....

If you put a long screw driver on the injectors and put your ear on it... can you hear them firing when you turn the key to start?

If you take a spark plug out are you getting a spark?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

It has died AGAIN !!!!! No spark no fuel !!! Empty Re: It has died AGAIN !!!!! No spark no fuel !!!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Yes HJ, ( its 2002) so 4 coil and the conector under the dash which was how it was diagnosed the first time it died a month ago.

Regarding the 20ohms difference do you think that would cause a problem? I don't know about this sort of thing. I assumed that if they were faulty that there would be no reading at all-- but that's just my logical mind.

I will check out for a spark in the morning. Presumably if there's a spark the injectors should be working too as I believe the are both operated by the cam sensor---- but I will check them out too -- I have got a nice new CLEAN pry-bar - ( that doesn't look right ) that I can poke in my ear.

Really is a wierd re-occurring problem this.

Have got a full load of junk for the tip on board too. Methinks I will have to break out the Red Beast --Old Faithfull agin if I cant sort it quickly. Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Tell me HJ, does your young lady ever get to see you other than perhaps a Sunday ? I started my little Garage 33years ago part-time just to get some peace away from the wife. And its still working !!!!!!! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Well by my ways....

If your not getting any spark, or any squirt/ticking:-
Then something is going wrong with the way the ECU see's the engine turning - e.g. cam sensor /crank sensor sort of issues, maybe the ecu itself is dead, or the main relay - so further diagnostic work in that area

If its squirting/ticking but no spark:-
Igniter unit, coil pack, wiring issue - so further diagnostic work in that area

If it's sparking but no squirt/ticking:-
Doubt this would happen! But wiring issue/ ecu fault. - so further diagnostic work in that area

If it's sparking and you can hear the injectors ticking:-
You may have no fuel pressure so bad pump, relay, wiring etc - so further diagnostic work in that area

As I work from home I see her daily, she is a damn good example of woman; very tolerant, calm, understanding, patient, un-demanding - and she is currently cooking some great smelling chocolate brownies cheers Found a good one, unlike many of my friends, who seem to get held to ransom by their women, even though the women are kept. I just don't get it really Laughing
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Me too. Found a good-un second time around 7 years ago. Definitely a good cook, tolerant most of the time, damn hardworkjng and very tidy around the house-- which is the one thing I do get into trouble for -- clothes left lying about in the bedroom. Ho-hum !!!

Thanks very much for your diagnostic pointers. Will be out under it at first light. Hope I get lucky quickly. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 pm

I'll be about all day tomorrow, I'll wake around 10am 11am, so I'll log in and see what you've got to say. There is only one 8 o'clock in my world.

I have a chair in my office, other people use a wardrobe and a washing basket... not me!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by robline Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:27 am

lads my womans cam sharft is running at 150 ohm is that normal ( overly hormonal moans) ? she dont make brownies though
robline
robline
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 am

You need to slap her a bit harder to reduce the ohm count. You get a better measurement if you lock her in a wardrobe.

The brownies got a little bit burnt but they were still great Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45 am

My wife keeps our "Ohm" neat and tidy . At 5'9" tall and only 3" shorter than me --- not too much of a good idea trying to stick her in the wardrobe--- especially as she was a Redcap in the Army ( Millitary Police ).

Still my nickname has been for the last 25 years The Incredible Hulk as I could lift a 2000 Ford Sierra engine out with one hand and that is the honest truth.

Last week I had a woodburner delivered by B&Q to a job I am doing and the two guys were straining to lift it up. It was at waist height on the tail lift so I pulled it to me and carried it to the ( now defunct Hijet ) and put it in the back.
The look on their faces was a picture. The weight of it ? 108 kilos . Not bad for an OAP eh?

Mind you my back has been killing me since . Serves me right for showing off.

Oh gosh I have got to brave the cold now and go and see what is to be done with my Hi-Jet. Stick two broom handles up the exhaust and use it as a wheelbarrow I reckon, damn thing.

Update you all later with the latest antics from the Isle of Wight.

If any of you are coming down here on holiday this year, make sure you let me know and come and visit my little domain.

Back to top Go down

It has died AGAIN !!!!! No spark no fuel !!! Empty Be gentle - first post on here !

Post by ozbird1 Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 am

My 1997 hijet has the same problem - been a great starter since I bought her 2 years ago.

I jump started my car from her, and took out the leisure battery - when I put it back the main battery was dead which has now been replaced.

When you turn the ignition key there's no humming sound but she does try to start up and ........almost goes.
I have replaced the spark plugs and the ECU.

I just drive my van and haven't got a clue where to start looking for the sensors etc - can anyone help ?

Cheers
No

ozbird1

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 pm

ozbird1 wrote:

When you turn the ignition key there's no humming sound but she does try to start up and ........almost goes.
I have replaced the spark plugs and the ECU.

Sounds like the fuel pump isn't running so check the fuses and then if not trace the wires to the top of the fuel tank and check that the pump is getting power we have had a few people on here that the wires have rotted off the top of the pump.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Ozbird, start your own post, we can work through this.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by ozbird1 Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Will do highlyjetted and thanks Rich

Someone looking at it for me again tomorrow so will pass on above.

ozbird1

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:50 pm

I did write a lengthy reply but it looks like I didn't post it! duhhh

You van is different from woodys as his is a late model ODB2 model.

Does your engine warning like come on when you turn the ignition key on?

Do you just get it turning over or does it try and cough pop and splutter like there is actually some combustion?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:48 pm

WELL THEN???!

WHAT'S THE CRACK JACK? Razz

What you waiting for, old age cheers
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down