Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headlights on and on

4 posters

Go down

Headlights on and on Empty Headlights on and on

Post by jonwood Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Probably more electrical woes heading my way but here goes. Remember the cover came off my indicator light? Yeah well, haven't got the replacement yet and it's spent two weeks driving in the rain. Anyway, battery has steadily seemed less enthusiastic each time I come to start and now has required a bit of a charge before it wants to start. So, charged battery in situ after disconnecting the leads. Reconnected and to my delight, she started first time. To my surprise, the side lights came on even though they are switched off in the cab (more brightly on the drivers side to be fair) and the dashboard tells me I'm on full beam. I'm thinking that I should take a hairdryer to indicator bulb before I go anywhere else, or does anyone think that I've messed up the 'wires of medusa' that sit in the crack of mount doom in the boot when I disconnected the battery? Anyone else had headlights being silly?
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Headlights on and on Empty Re: Headlights on and on

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:18 pm

currently the left hand headlight will not light up when the lights are turned on and shows as high beam on but a quick clump with the palm of my hand on the lens and the loose connection sorts it's self out and it's sorted till I use high beam or turn them on next I need to tighten up the block terminals but it is inside the light not the boot.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Check the headlamp connectors, they're prone to corrosion & falling to bits.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 pm

This is probably a few things happening at the same time.

Depends how un-molested the wiring is, if things have been altered in the past I can't really say much. But the switch mechanism in the steering stalks are dodgy and if the little spring/ball bearing goes dodgy then you could end up with odd things like this maybe.

Seeing as your van had a respray, someone must have done some stripping and rebuilding in its past.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Ok, so all the vipers nest all looked fine but I didn't go near any of the stuff that looked taped up (there is a leisure battery in the back to complicate matters but I've had them both on charge now). So did as you suggested and went to the headlamp connectors. I ended up disconnecting the tilt servos as this seemed to be a problem, then literally 'swapping' over the headlight fuses. Seem confused?

So with both headlights connected, they both gave me sidelights when all was turned off and I got a headlight on just one side even with both fuses in. Swap over the fuses and the headlight would swap sides. So I thought the fuse was the problem so I put a 5A fuse in it from my battery charger as a temporary fix. Got sidelights and headlights on both sides now but I've got no tilting thing on them (not really that big a deal) and which ever side has the 10A fuse is brighter than the other headlight.
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Sounds like a rats nest mate! Good luck
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Ha ha, thought so. Was all fine until the other night. There'll be a silly short somewhere. I'll find it. ^_^
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Sounds like an earthing fault. Look closely at the connectors. Im betting they are corroded. Pull the wires, bet one comes out. New ones are a couple of quid from accessory shops. You also need the headlamp levellers to work for the mot now.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Phooey. Right, it'll do for tomorrow. She'll have an appointment with the doctor this week. ;-)
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum