Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter Motor intermittant

+3
chinfuk
HighlyJetted
PFM
7 posters

Go down

Starter Motor intermittant Empty Starter Motor intermittant

Post by PFM Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Posting this in case anyone else has similar problems (also as a reminder to self if it happens again!)

Whilst my 1995 S85 was off the road for MOT, the starter on the 1998 one finally gave up the struggle. (Both vans out at once, not been a good few days!) For some weeks you might have to turn the key between 2 and 6 times before it sprang into life, on the other times it sounded like a flat battery (which it wasn't).

To remove starter, disconnect battery and undo 12mm nut holding big cable to solenoid (worth giving the a spray of plus-gas or similar in advance). Remove 2x 12mm bolts holding starter to bell-housing and rock gently to loosen. Careful as you lower it, as there's a lead to the solenoid you can't see until this stage, which is on a push-on slide tab.

On the end of the starter (well, this type anyway) there are 2x 8mm nuts and 2x cross-head screws. Undo the screws first (I learned the hard way!) - they will be tight so make sure you have a driver that fits them well. I had to use heat on one of them. Undoing the 2 nuts allows the cover to come off, exposing the 4 brushes. I found that 2 opposite brushes had worn unevenly (one much more than the other) but after dismantling, freeing stuck brushes and cleaning them and the commutator, I was able to put it back and adjust the bush-carrying plate to try and compensate for the wear.

Reassembled, refitted, so far so good - starts every time. Am taking bets on how long it will last...any takers?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Starter Motor intermittant Empty Re: Starter Motor intermittant

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Bet it out lives the van man!

Most things in life just need some attention and maintenance , big trouble normally start when people live with a problem but never sort it.

I think this is the overheating issue too. People just live with a little fault, which turns into running the engine dry where it cooks the gasket away. No fan over ride switch or radweld solves the issue, it just props up a failing system badly causing more serious remedial work.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for writing this, mine used to do the same but seemed to 'fix itself' the problem started again the other day, sometimes it feels like a dead battery so.etimes like a new car, going to try and clean it up and see if it works. Many thanks, not sure how many times I've said this but I love this site
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by altis Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:38 pm

When I had a similar problem it turned out to be the earth connection between the engine block and the chassis. Also check the connection from the battery to the chassis.

Use a voltmeter to measure across the suspect connection while you turn the key. Anything over, say half a volt, and you've found your problem.

altis

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:09 am

That's some sound advice thanks, I will be doing these tests before dismantling van Smile

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

Cheers
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:37 pm

chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 pm

After all my voltage drop tests showed nothing, having the battery load tested with flying colours, cleaned the starter motor, tried to get better earths in various places, it all turned out to be the dam battery! It was a tiny little battery that my local shop assured me was the correct one. After looking on here I discovered an 063 battery is the golden ticket. Now my van starts like new! Smile Thanks
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:31 am

I have a similar issue, but after replacing battery(079)starter motor, earth leads, I still have the issue of not starting, from time to time. Turn the key just hear a click. Mess around key in, key out and will start after about 10mins af trying ? anyone any ideas

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:04 am

New or s/hand starter motor?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:36 am

new unit, same issue as the replaced unit.

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:44 pm

When you get the click on turning the key, do the lights on the dash go very dim? If so, the starter is probably receiving power and engaging, but with insufficient power to turn the flywheel. If lights don't dim, the starter isn't getting power to the solenoid contacts, or not passing it on. I suspect a wiring fault, possibly bad connection or a wire breaking up. Or new starter cold be dodgy, of course.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:59 am

Hah, I get this problem but it's the ignition barrel/connection. Now I know the trick of it (don't turn the key too far) it works fine.

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Will try that, as will start when messing about, key in ,key out retry etc. sometimes even turning the around helps. very odd. Dont think the lights dim. Have check earths and wire etc. but not at the ignition end,barrel. Will have a look next time got the covers off to repair something.

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:33 pm

There can be an issue with the key not turning, caused by a little pin that works loose. Can be resolved by using a punch and hammer, the pin is visible from above the lock when the plastic cowl is off.

I had one that eventually gave up and wouldn't work so I took the switch off the end of the barrel and used a stubby flat-blade screwdriver to start the van. IIRC, turning this too far meant it wouldn't start, probably same issue as gogop mentioned above.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Lights go dim. new battery, same fault. Starter clicks, but doesnt turn over until about 10 or so goes, or more. Dodgy new starter ? funny thing is when I got the van, it looked like someone had been messing with the solenoid or replaced it on the old starter!! I put new starter on and cured it for a couple of months, but now the same fault back as the old starter, which is why I replaced it. Is there a relay anywhere which might be at fault ? cant see one. Had this fault on a SEAT but it was the relay.

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 am

In that case, I'd be checking (or re-checking) wiring connections next, especially the earth connections. If you connect a jump lead to the starter body and battery earth and it leaps into life, you're on the right track.

As someone was dicking about with the solenoid before, I suspect this is a long-term problem that will annoy you until you get to the bottom of it!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:00 am

Just another thought, although I'm not certain the symptoms are exactly the same - have you checked the small wire from the battery +ve where it exits the battery box? They often corrode inside the plastic sheath and I've had to replace 6" or so on a couple of my vans in the past. Others have also experienced this.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:08 pm

Update, fitted new starter and has been fine for 6 weeks. Then same fault occurred. I took the dash out to fit heater resistor. Whilst there had a fiddle/wiggle with wires on back of of ignition switch. Refitted dash and re-checked connections on battery.Now starting ok again. Was it the switch or battery terminals?? hopefully wont have another problem!!!

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Spoke too soon, problem back again !!!!!

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Doh!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Maybe a dodgy solder joint on one of the wires to the switch? The switch can be removed from the steering lock if it helps.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:52 pm

removed the ignition switch, took apart, cleaned etc, wires look ok , but contact point a little worn. The starter clicks when key turned, lights dim. have cleaned and checked earths and battery connections, MOT due in August , if it passes I will persevere, headlights will be the next issue!!!!!

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down