Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hi all from rotherham lad!

+2
rich the mechanic
hopo
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hi all from rotherham lad! Empty hi all from rotherham lad!

Post by hopo Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:13 pm

hi all Wink
bought a Piaggio Porter 2001 model .. 1.4D ..Very noisey for a densil so i took it for timing to be doneonly to find noise coming from a bent crank! Shocked ..
Done a bit of searching and found that a few charade engines are good donorsfor my little cherub..
i was woundering if i could put the 1.2d hijet engine in replacment and would i need to replace ECU thanks all in need for her to be running again bounce

hopo

Back to top Go down

hi all from rotherham lad! Empty Re: hi all from rotherham lad!

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:38 pm

Hiya so far I haven't heard much good about the 1.2D mostly been about fitting a petrl instead.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:52 am

I would have the the engine management would be different. I know nothing about them though.

The petrols are much much better. Many diesels end up as scrap just because of not being able to get hold of engine parts. They seem to go wrong alot!

I have a 1.3 petrol outside that I could take the whole wiring loom, ecu, dash, etc, etc off. I don't have an engine, but I do have the gearbox.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:12 pm

so what would be best for me to do with this van? convert to petrol? replace camshaft on 1.4d or replace with 1.2d!..
i dont want to get rid as shes in great shape .. been searching for other engines that fit with google and they only looks like charde fits

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Sportrak 1600 engine fits.

I've put one in my hijet in the garage. You'll need lots of bits of the 1.3 hijet engine to make it fit, same goes for a charade engine. Because they have installed the hijet engine in a tilted over angle, they have a weird sump, inlet manifold, mounts etc etc.

I've yet to actually start and drive my sportrak engined hijet, but it all bolts up together fine. Not sure what's going to happen regarding the ecu/tuning. I've put bigger injectors in it, which may or may not help! We shall see one day when I get round to replumbing the brake lines and a few other jobs.

I have a complete 1.3 engine and gearbox and ecu etc, basically a whole van minus some bits like lights, fuel tank, bumpers etc have been taken. The engine runs, problem is it sounds a bit rattley! Thus why I said I don't have an engine. Maybe it needs the tappets doing? Maybe it needs a crank regrind and new bearings? Who knows till you take it apart. Sounds more like bottom end rattle to me. Sounds rattley from cold, but after a minute or two it shuts up.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Welcome, RL. I'd take it back to the dealer....oh, you bought it privately? I'd have thought a s/h crank or engine if you can find either would be the easiest way.
HTF did it get bent anyway? Maybe there's a bigger issue there, and are you 100% sure that diagnosis is correct?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Welcome, i'm with PFM here, bent crank???
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Have to agree too, cranks tend to snap or just be worn.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm

i bought the van about 50 miles away from us we drove it back on trade plates .. lad who drove it kept saying there was a loud knocking noise alway back home and everytime it went into 4th it would die down!.. we took it to a local garage who kept it all day and said it could be the time'in. he played with it all day and said theres no change its still knocking.. i brought her home to find she smokes alot more from when the garage messed with it but sounds a little more quiet but still knocks! ive put this down to garage bloke messing with timing why she smokes more ? he said to me it sounds like cranks bent and needs regrinding or 1 of the shells are shot?? (havent a clue).. i really love this van and want to get her back on road has a day van/camper for fishing for me and my boy... i dont want to mess about and swap to petrol as it would be a head ache swaping everything over fuel lines and tank ect.. id rather just swap diesel engines and ecu .. But kind of liking the motor bike engine idea pmsl Laughing

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I believe the 1.4 and 1.2 diesels are two different sizes of the same engine. So the smaller one should fit but I am unsure as to where to get confirmation.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:51 pm

would the 1.4d head fit on the 1.2d and work? sorry for being a pest folk just looking at all aspects before going in with spanners Wink
is there a sportrak diesel that fits!

just found out that my piaggio even though looks the same as a hijet is totally a different bus other than the looks Idea

so will diat engines fit my bus? or was the piaggio porter 1.4 diesel fitted in any other car/van.. when you search with google piaggio/hijet buses are a nightmare engine wise Exclamation overheating/water probs and head gaskets going..

Looks like iam def dropping the pag lump out now and searching for a robust donor as i dont want to spend a load on this engine for it not to last !

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Sounds to me like you just need to take the engine apart that you've got. You'll probably find it needs the crank grinding and some over sized shells putting in it. But my gut instinct says forget everything this garage has told you as they have just plucked random things out of the imagination which could be potential faults.

Making mish mash engines is all well and good with the spanners, but its getting them to run right afterwards due to the tuning of the ecu etc. Let alone just trying to get all the bits together that work. Non of the sportrak dervs are the same engine series.

I know the 1.2 derv engine is a lombardini engine. But that's the end of my knowelege really. I don't know if they are efi common rail or mechanical injection. And from the sounds of the "messing with the timing" that the garage has done I'd have a hunch its a mechanical pump - that has an ecu that adjusts stuff in the pump - but I'm totally guessing here now.

The 1.4 derv is a very rare beast indeed, finding one for the engine or parts would be a tough job in the first place. While there are quite a few (in hijet terms) 1.2 dervs to get bits off.

You turning up here hopo makes me want to buy a derv hijet to take apart and learn all about how they work! You tempting devil you!!! Twisted Evil
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:56 pm

If you're planning on keeping it it'll be best to fix your own engine, expensive but you'll know it'll work. Other engines are an unknown quantity, and as you've noticed a lot are shite, fix yours and have peace of mind.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:59 pm

You turning up here hopo makes me want to buy a derv hijet to take apart and learn all about how they work! You tempting devil you!!! Twisted Evil [/quote]

hAHAH lol .. I think its mad they put a 1.4d in my pag that is absolute shite just been looking at engine specs and the little 1.2d looks to be the better ! i wounder if the 1.2d bottom end would marry the 1.4d ..
ive got the chance to buy a full 1.2d with head gasket popped .. so while i have the 1.4d out of pag next weekend il have my pal have a look lol
if the 1.4d is knackered then il be putting 1.2d in its place your more than welcome to pick her up if you want it ;0)

Derv all the way Smile especially when i get bio for nothing Wink

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:49 pm

The engine code for the 1.4 is LDW1404

While the 1.2 engine code is LDW1204P

We already have the manual online for the 1.2 derv which you've found.

This is a link to a parts catalogue that lists all the bits for both the LDW1404 and the LDW1204P so you could compare part numbers for bits:-
http://issuu.com/finimpianti/docs/13-catalogo_lombardini_gruppo_focs/28?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Flight%2Flayout.xml&showFlipBtn=true

Maybe they are of the same breed? It turns out they are! Both engines fall into the lombardini's engine breed they call LDW FOCS and if you follow this link you will get the full lombardini engine workshop manual which covers both engines:-
http://service.lombardinigroup.it/documents/Manuali%20Officina/English/Work%20Shop%20Manual%20FOCS%20matr%201-5302-351.pdf

Maybe you've found some of this out already with your searching, if not good luck and I hope its of use Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:56 am

thats brill pal not found these 2 printed them both off took me all night lol..
just waiting for weather to ease up a bit and then gonna drop the lump out .. just hope i can find the problem with her silent

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 pm

How did you go on with your bent cherry knocker in the end?

Any progress?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:36 am

Seeing as this is such a useful topic I have made a page on www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk which is focused on these derv engines. http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/hijet-piaggio-porter-lombardini-1-2-1-4-diesel-engines/

More information and experiences would be great and will be added to the site!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

hi all from rotherham lad! Empty Iam back!

Post by hopo Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Howdy all Iam back i bet you thought id scrapped her !
Nope!
shes still here lol ...
Ive had a old bloke do timing for me and hes cured the Knocking.. But A capital BUT shes still smoking! Bad too ..
Its kind of a Greyish blue smoke .. smells of un burnt fuel! ive checked water/oil est.. everything seams fine .. also compression is ok so it cant be Head Gasket... She drives well other than the fog! lol ive googled and theers a bloke on daihatsu uk with same van same problem and someone mentions a "spring on fuel govenor" were can i find this and would this cause this much smoke ? cheersfolk and i promice iam not giving up on her yet Smile

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Normally in the derv pump on most mechanical derv setups.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:02 pm

great stuff pal il take a look tomorrow ..do you recon 1.2d pumps the same as 1.4d? just incase i need to look for parts .. iam dyin to get her back on road !

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Pffft! I knows sweet FA about them devs, I think you may be on your own here, but what you do find out please share. Very Happy
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 pm

will do pal thanks for replys and you will see me pop back time again ! to annoy ya all Smile

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 pm

ok guys bit more update on the 14.d!

ive replaced fuel filter and empty'd tank and put fresh juice in over half of tank..(fuel gauge works "whoop")
runs a little better but still blueish smoke! not as much so iam still thinking it could be fuel pump thats knack'd? only thing its finding a spare .. anyone think the 1.2d would be same ive looked at manuals and there more or less twins other than bore size..
anyone no were i could drop on 1 Smile

hopo

Back to top Go down

hi all from rotherham lad! Empty Bloody Hell!!

Post by hopo Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Ok so been and got some ramps to strip parts of the little bugger and found were oil leak coming from i think lol
heres 4 pictures 2 of fuel pick up and 2 of the bit were throttle cable goes?? (which oil looks like it spilling out heres some picture?

Last edited by hopo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 pm

[url=hi all from rotherham lad! Dsc04412]

Last edited by hopo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 2 pics sorry)

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

[url=hi all from rotherham lad! Dsc04413][

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by hopo Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

so im betting theres something wrong with E.G.R valve or theres oil leaking into that somewere ..
whats your guys opinions! Not a mechanic but iam gonna get to bottom of this as no one whats to touch a hijet!

hopo

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 pm

That could have something to do with your blue smoke?

It's not a turbo derv is it?!

If the egr doesn't work right it will upset the overall mixture, making it Smokey, leaking exhaust gas into the inlet all the time will reduce air volume thus making it over fuel.

Egr valves on old dervs often look like an oily mess, but I don't think they should.

P.s. I am totally useless with devs, very very little experience. Not my speciality at all, so take what I say with a bucket of salt!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum