Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Failure to start when warm

+3
rich the mechanic
HighlyJetted
jonwood
7 posters

Go down

Failure to start when warm Empty Failure to start when warm

Post by jonwood Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi guys,

First post, three days as Hijet owner, AA out on second day but I still love it. (Have already fixed broken door barrel not opening the driver door and have since found your excellent guide to sealing the leaking sunroof in the back which is another job to do. Am also going to follow your detailed instructions for bleeding the coolant system as my fan is currently operated via a switch in the cab. So thanks very much for all the good stuff so far.)

I've got a camper modded MPV, 1998 1.3 EFI which doesn't like to start when she's warm (temp indicated at 1/3 on dash). She turns over but refuses to fire and I'm left with a slight smell of petrol and a feeling that the engine is flooded. (I can't turn it over too many times as the battery lasts no longer than a minute of abuse before giving up). Given half an hour to cool down, she starts first time and all is good, but I'd rather get to the source of this. I see others have had problems with idling speeds and cutting out and suspect this may be similar but not the same and AA suspected an idle/start valve fault. How do I investigate this?

Anyway, to compound this, AA also mentioned that there may be a live short on it somewhere (earth, body and alt all good) as I have 14.4 volts at alternator but I measure a 2 volt drop at the battery, so it may not be charging. It only gets 13 volts at the battery when revved. I'm not sure whether this low rate is normal for Hijets, but advice would be good (although I recognise this may be difficult on a van that has a lot of supplementary electrical work.)
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Failure to start when warm Empty Re: Failure to start when warm

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Power cable in the battery tray is a common fault, they go all nasty and dry.

As for your starting problems, it's quite a broad collection of potential faults, which you may be suffering from many of them.

What I can say though is as your van has had the over ride fan switch bodge done to it, it says its been messed around with and will have been over heated a good few times. I'd also suspect it has been treated with rad weld or another coolant additive bodge.

Keep in mind that hijets are often owned by skin flint bodgers who don't sort things out properly.

If you want to keep a happy hijet relationship going I'd be tempted to do some serious maintenance and inspection work on it. I'd overhaul the coolant system with a new thermostat, water pump, rad caps, pressure test the system, wash out the coolant system, rewired the old fan system back up to how it should be, then if your still having problems you'll be doing the head gasket next. Also get the spark plugs out of it to see how they are, clean the throttle body as that may be gummed up causing your hot start issues, clean out the idle up cold start valve - and do the normal stuff like clean out the air filter, change the oil if its needed.

Might seem like a lot of work, but I bet its all long overdue.

The poor starting may be caused by the pair of coil packs too. Maybe?!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi I would try jump starting when warm as the comp goes up a bit when the enging is warm and if it will jump start and with the battery voltage etc I would suspect a dodgy battery that doesn't crank but also may be in the wiring as HJ said or a little of both.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:15 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Keep in mind that hijets are often owned by skin flint bodgers who don't sort things out properly.?!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.
Should be the first read item of Hijet ownership

But welcome, stick with it and you'll love it Twisted Evil
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks guys, this is really useful. I intend to get her fully serviced and get to the root of the problems as we want to keep her. She has a long and chequered service history including a new engine in '05. Will start with the cooling system and work through. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Cheers for welcome.
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Can't help with your problem but welcome to the forum
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Ok, update. Seems to be fixed. There was a loose wire next to the water pipe. When the pipe moved, the engine stalled. Secured the wire back to its home and no more problem. This live short was also the reason why the battery wasn't charging.
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Bang tidy outcome mate! Glad you got sorted and thanks for posting back with your resolution.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi,

I've got the same problem described here - fails to start when warm (at least 30 mins driving), sounds/feels like engine choking - it chugs twice and then gives up. After a small wait and a few tries it does start. Cold starts are fine first time.

Read elsewhere that changing fuel filter might help this? As far as I can tell the FF has never been done. Why would this change from cold to warm though?

I have changed oil, air filter and oil filter. Fan is currently working when hot and controlled from thermostat. Engine sounds great when its running.

(Ref above post - I don't really understand how a loose wire would only be loose when warm? I've got a feeling this wont be my fix!)
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by simpo1961 Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:31 pm

sounds like an ignition/heat soak related issue. Check for good spark when it does this.IIRC resistance goes up with heat

simpo1961

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks. Might also explain how a wire without the best connection would be okay cold but not when hot due to resistance rising.

I'll have to carry a big chinese fan to waft at the starter when it happens then.

Laughing 
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:33 am

Check the battery wire of doom!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Failure to start when warm Empty Problem gone?

Post by harrythehamster Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Recently been on a trip round cornwall - driving 5 hours a day and in some heat. Done over a thousand miles since last post and the problem hasn't happened again!

Thinking maybe I was turning to ingition too quickly - I had an old rascal van years ago and that had a fuel pump that needed 'charging' for a couple of seconds before ignition. I can hear a similar sort of faint whirr for a second on or two when turning on electrics before using ignition so guessing this is similar?
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down