Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies

2 posters

Go down

altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies Empty altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi

We have a E reg 2003 1296cc daihatsu hijet dual fuel petrol/lpg van called Hattie (after Hattie Jaques, coz she's big and bouncy) on which the altenator has failed.
We also have a Y reg 2001 1371cc piaggio porter diesel van which we bought for a body spares supply when Hattie had an unexpected skating/snowboarding adventure through a hedge in Jan 2009.

Does anyone know if the altenator on the diesel porter is likely to be the same as on the petrol hijet?

The Porter manual you have online gives a part ref of 271011 for a new altenator or 270112 for a service rewound one but does not state any other model information or whether the fuel makes a difference.
I can see some Daihatsu altenators listed on Ebay for £75-100, but my daihatsu dealer has just quoted me £250 to supply and fit which I think is a bit steep.
What model altenator do I need to get as there seem to be at least three types?

And can it be fitted by a mobile mechanic through the seat hatch or do I need to take the van to a garage who have a ramp or pit so they can access from below?

Thanks everyone!

Di & John Very Happy

Back to top Go down

altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies Empty altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi last things first you can change the petrol alternator under the seats its 2 bolts and a plug and a ring connector on a stud 10 min job as for the diesel one fitting I don't know but on other cars if the fittings are the same then they bolt on but usually have a higher ampage output as the battery has a higher cranking amp output so this may not work but a good auto electrician should be able to sort it out and some can even rewind/overhaul the one you have.

Rich.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies Empty Re: altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies

Post by SkippyGLI Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:40 am

If you want to go down the rewind route then try either West Country Windings (now based in Essex) or you could give R. Williams a ring in Teignmouth, Devon. He does all the stator rewinds for the likes of DS Spares, Lings and most other bike dealers, he should be able to deal with your alternator no problem. It might also just be worth going along to your local small independant motor factors and asking them what sort of price they charge for a recon unit. As Rich says, the alt on a 'Jet' comes on in under ten minutes with care. The biggest problem I had was correctly tensioning the fan belt. My van had a tendancy to run hot, which made the new belt soften, so it stretched a bit, making it slip when the alt was under load i.e engine running with the lights and fan on. 2 minutes with a ratchet and a large lever and the problem was solved.
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Isn't the world of bikes a small place west country windings are a customer of mine and as you say are now based in essex all of about 20 mins down the road from where I live just round the corner to a nice pub which reminds me matching green classic and sports car club have a very good show every year on the green on the first sunday in July.

Rich.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies Empty thanks!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Just got back from a weekend playing mountain bikes on Cannock Chase (Staffordshire) and his lordship ain't half moaned about messing about with a strap-on bike carrier hung on the back of my little Atoz instead of being able to leave everything mucky but secure in the back of Hattie.

For future ref- as I notice a number of you guys also mountain bike, the Little Chef travelodge at Rugeley (2.5 miles from Birches Valley purpose built bike trails) does a double/family room for £19 per night and they let us put the bikes in a secure ground floor room that was out of service at no extra charge, or we could have carried them up to ours if we insisted. Also Bilash indian restaurant about 300 yds away is one of the best yet (and we've tried quite a few all over the UK), but there are chippie/chinese/pizza shops in the same parade if you prefer.

Will spend Monday on the phone to try and get rewind/exchange sorted asap. Thanks for contact details.

Di x

Back to top Go down

altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies Empty Re: altenator problem, please advise non-mechanical newbies

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down