Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a CD player

+2
HighlyJetted
blane
6 posters

Go down

Fitting a CD player Empty Fitting a CD player

Post by blane Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Newbie to Hijets after saving one from a breakers yard and getting it back on the road.
Now i want to fit my CD player i'm a bit reluctant to cut the Blank out of the dashboard just under the heater controls, in case there is not enough room at the back. Does anyone know the maximum distance allowed at the back of this blank ?
it does not seem to be very deep to me, but i could be wrong.
Any observation would be appreciated.

HiJet 1300 EFI 1998
63k miles
Seasons Greetings to All
Blane

blane

Back to top Go down

Fitting a CD player Empty Re: Fitting a CD player

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi, welcome, and well done for saving the Jet!

I'm not sure how much space is behind that plate but I wouldn't be surprised if it only designed to fit a little stubby radio only head unit. Maybe drill a hole in it and have a look with a torch, you could always fit an ejector seat button in the hole. You may need it one day.

Good luck
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by blane Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi there
I kinda felt behind the plate, poking my hand up where the ash tray is. It doesn't seem very deep, i didn't know they made units that small.
Anyhoo, i think i will have to get one of those floor mounted consoles i've seen in other HiJets. I didn't want to go down that route cause it doesn't seem very accessible and i don't like the idea of the Player being directly under the ash tray, but it looks like i have not got much choice. I've looked around for a console, but no joy yet. There is a few HiJets being broken on ebay but none have a console. i may have a go at making one my self.
Blane

blane

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:07 pm

if you dont smoke in the van, no issue with ash falling on it. i dont let anyone smoke in mine.
i have a centre console in my MPV, i have an AMP inside it Velcro to the carpet and only run my iPod. i'm not one for music in cars, thats only because i have been on bikes so long that you dont have music on ... unless you call hearing the engine music.. lol

if you do get a console and it still has the black plates in it. can i buy the blanking plate from you? inc postage etc.
mine has the plate removed and you can see the amp/wires. i cant find anything to fit it.. bar bodging a bit of plastic.. even then not found anything to fit, but i havnt been looking that hard.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:23 pm

Shame I put my centre console in the bin Sad

This is what i've done with my sterio.....

Fitting a CD player 3

I just ash out the window or if its really cold or raining, I ash on the floor!

I've got a cd changer in my glove box, but thats all that fits in there apart from some pain killers and a lighter.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by blane Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:39 pm

I do smoke in the van, so it would be a problem. If i do manage to get a console with plates i'll let you know

blane

Back to top Go down

Post by large519 Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi, I've just encountered the same issues as where to fit a stereo, had my dash apart and there is no room in the dash below the heater controls, most stereos seem to be of the same size, so they wont fit, fortunately I have a centre console already fitted but some lash up larry made a right meal of fitting a stereo previous to me owning it and pretty much butchered most of the console, so it fits like a prick in a bucket, cd jumps every time you go over a pebble. Also i find the console makes the driver cockpit a bit small, where your feet are, so will be looking to fabricate a new one as I cant seem to find a replacement one either. Oh the other issue (not major, but can't be good) I found with mounting it in the centre console is the heater matrix blows air straight on top of it, ok in the summer, but when you wanna warm your toes it blows extra heat directly onto the stereo. Despite that I managed to install an amp and 2 x 12 inch subs, but some more fabrication is required though as trying to fit 6x9's into the rear side panels, I found the holes in the body work aren't deep enough.
large519
large519
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by blane Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks for the info, i've decided to fabricate my own console as well. its on the drawing board at the mo, but i'm toying with the idea of having it sideways facing the driver at an angle facing directly to me. The player distructions say it will be alright at that angle.
Merry xmas, Blane

blane

Back to top Go down

Post by fupabox Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 am

I installed a dual mechless in my hijet...fits with the tiniest bit of trimming of the rear top of the case (it's empty mostly so it doesnt matter)..http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xr4110.php....[img]Fitting a CD player Th_0127001255[/img]

fupabox
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by blane Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks fupabox, i decided to bite the bullet and installed a centre console. So job done. Very Happy
Cheers, Blane

blane

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

According to my mate who regularly works on his Dad's Jet there is definatley not enough room to install a standard size radio/CD player in the blanked off area in the dash, he made the mistake of trying to fit one LOL What a Face
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down