Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

odd spark plugs?

2 posters

Go down

odd spark plugs? Empty odd spark plugs?

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:09 pm

it seems that my van hasnt been running on the right spec plugs..
i have fished 3 NGK BKR6E size 16 spanner nut out the van.
the shop sold me 3 NGK BPR5EY size 19 spanner nut.

BUT.... the 5EY plugs dont seem to fit in the head! apparently the 6E plugs are for a Rover!......
i am wondering if the spec plugs dont fit and smaller ones have been used.
so.. does it really matter what plugs you fit, so long as the length from electrode to washer is the same.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

odd spark plugs? Empty Re: odd spark plugs?

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:17 pm

Whats your engine code? Might be on the vin plate and it will definately be on the block somewhere.

From what i know from race karts, plugs have different heat ratings, what this means i dont know! You can get the same size/shape plug, but differ heat rating depending on compression/ignition timing/fuel setup.

Maybe have a dig around for some ngk tables, they will break down the part numbers to tell you what it all means. If you become clued up on plugs i'd love you to teach me.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:57 pm

yup, i have 3 types of plug for my bike. cold, normal & hot. i can swap them to how hot/cold i want my engine to run. the thing to look for is usually the number in the code. i cant remember at the mo if higher means hotter..

my van is 993 EFI CB42
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:41 pm

From a search around 'they' recon it should take BPR5EY, but maybe someone has ruined the threads on the head and helicoiled it, or Daihatsu changed the head drilling process. If the plugs that are in it clean up ok and appear in reasonable condition (eg dont look like any of the problems demonstrated on the colour chart in every haynes manual) i'd swap them for the same again, what more can you do? I'd still put the dizzy cap and rotor arm on the top of the list of things to do.

you could do with another member of the forum with the same age, body and engine to have a look at their plug code.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm

i'd ask on the other diahatsu forum, but i'd probably not get a reply this year!
swapped the spec plugs for a new set of what i took out the van. chap at work has a MK5 and uses the same plug as what was in my van. he said that he has to use them as they are the only ones that he can fit in the rocker cover with a plug tool on to do up.
dizzy cap/rotor arm (one end of the metal tab had been bent) changed last night..... work stopped due to the plugs.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down