Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2001 Hijet bus owner

4 posters

Go down

2001 Hijet bus owner Empty 2001 Hijet bus owner

Post by timr Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:10 pm

I bought my bus as a runner, but it only ran for 2 miles before breaking down. Seems that it was simply out of petrol, but it was also getting hot. I solved the petrol issue easily enough, but I have not put it back on the road yet as I wanted a bit of a project.

2001 Hijet bus owner Dsc_2710

Don't worry I am not pulling the caravan with it.
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

2001 Hijet bus owner Empty Re: 2001 Hijet bus owner

Post by CoolJet Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Cheers and welcome! Best car ever. Be sure the headgasket is not compromised and stop the overheating before you tackle the piaggio face**** There are many ways to find out.. Maybe a CO2 test.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks CoolJet.

The level doesn't drop and I've no goop in the water or water in the oil. That's not to rule it out - I am talking to a mechanic friend tomorrow, and I did think about the CO2 test I've seen them available but I might ask him to do it and pressure test the coolant system as well.

So far I've replaced the radiator, thermostat, back- and forward-flushed all the pipes including the heater matrix, checked the heater valve operation. The hose from thermostat to radiator fan switch never gets hot enough to trigger the fan while I'm idling the engine on the driveway.

Its not my main vehicle so when I get frustrated I get on with other jobs. I already changed the diff oil, engine oil, fuel tank (used one), exhaust (used one), fuel filter and as you can see in the pic, changed the bumper for the older type.
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Very well. Sounds like you are up to the game. If you dont loose any coolant thats a very good sign. I dont know too much about the 1.3 system so i better shut up but it sounds like a thermotat fail. Some people have recommended the nipparts thermostat. It opens a little earlier than most others. I have it now too.

BTW I took my van out today for the first time after the gasket change today... 38° C in the shaddows ... We climbed hills, idled in the sun and enjoied a little stop and go. She never came past the half gauge mark. Hasnt lost a drop of coolant. I am happy
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Make sure you change both rad caps and that the seats they seal to are in good condition. Cheap fix for some overheating and often overlooked. Change them regular, surprising how the rubber seal deforms and crud builds up over a short period of time.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Raggy wrote:Make sure you change both rad caps and that the seats they seal to are in good condition. Cheap fix for some overheating and often overlooked. Change them regular, surprising how the rubber seal deforms and crud builds up over a short period of time.
Oh yes I also changed the rad caps Smile the cap "seat" looks pretty good. I will ask the mechanic if he thinks its good enough. Of course the one on the actual radiator is fine as that is new.

@CoolJet you're living the dream!
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:52 am

My bottom hose stays cold if a little air gets into the system. I had two small leaks from a bleed point and a drain point in the head that needed sorting after I changed a head gasket. It's amazing how tiny tiny things make a big difference to this cooling system

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:53 am

gogopiaggio wrote:My bottom hose stays cold if a little air gets into the system. I had two small leaks from a bleed point and a drain point in the head that needed sorting after I changed a head gasket. It's amazing how tiny tiny things make a big difference to this cooling system
I think this is my problem - last time I refilled I found a drip from 1 pipe, I think it might be porous so I am checking that.

I also got some advice to check the water pump impeller hasn't come off, I have a new one so I might just change it, and I will remove the thermostat housing again but this time run the hose through the block to check for blockages.

I have ordered a timing belt kit and a head gasket kit. Thought I was getting close, but basically I'm going in deeper.
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down