Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylinder head

4 posters

Go down

Cylinder head Empty Cylinder head

Post by kittykamper Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:18 pm

So we had a few overheating problems with pat.. (no I hear you gasp) She is very special to us, a 1ltr Daihatsu Hijet Colombus Campervan. On inspection at the local garage she has a cracked Head, weeks of searching came back at £600 with a recommendation that the rad, pump and other cooling bits were replaced to try and stop it happening again. She has only done under 50,000 miles, is rust free with a great fiberglass body but... And it's a big BUT today they said it would all come to £2500. Yes I cried a bit, the wife a lot.. as this is half what we paid for her 18 months ago. So what to do? Try and finance it (not sure how) do you think it's worth it. Give up and take the loss, find a new pick up to put the body on or try and do it myself with serving hand parts if I can find them. I don't know if it's possible to swap engine for a 1300 as I'm told the 1ltr 3 cylinder are a bit like hen's teeth. Any advice would be greatfully received as we are a bit lost at the moment. I know it's only transport but I know you will get it on here.
kittykamper
kittykamper

Back to top Go down

Cylinder head Empty Re: Cylinder head

Post by PFM Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:06 am

Sorry that 'Pat' is unwell. I'm sure it can be done for less - the rad shouldn't need replacing unless it has a problem, just a flush through. Woodie might be able to help you with a head. Plenty of advice on here about how to re-fill the cooling system afterwards, which whoever does the job must follow. Where in Sussex are you?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Damn. thats heavy.

For finding out its cracked you paid 600 quit? What did they do? Is the diagnosis is 100% sure?
They found out rad and also head and other stuff is Fucked beyond repair. With the car ran only 50.000 miles? I mean with a 993cc everything is possible i guess.

So if it is really all true i think the cheapest option would be to find only a used head. Putting in a new motor is another thing.

A used head for a 993cc.
I dont know the price but there is a used motor for 500 and thats 100% overpriced.

If there was air in the system for a longer time the tubing mighty be messy and needs replacement, too.

I cant imagine how they can charge 2500 for it though.

I would have guessed 1000 absolute maximum.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Like we learned at Primary School - 4 into 3 won't go - until we got to Secondary School and learnt about Fractions and Tangents and Cosines and Trigonometry and turned everything we had learnt at Primary School on it's head.

Well forget about all that pointless rubbish that didn't help in the real world, and learn from this Scholar of the World.

If you are serious about spending £2500 on your 3 cylinder Hi-Jet - FORGET IT. PUT IT OUT OF YOUR MIND.
The only thing common between the 993cc and the 1300 is the 4 wheels and the 2 doors and windscreen and steering column switches. Virtually everything else is different, like axle, Propshaft, gearbox, cables, total wiring loom and too many things to list.

Spend your hard earned loot on a DECENT 1300, and preferably one with the bonus of LPG too. £2500 should buy you a stonking 1300 for that money. Better on fuel, 20bhp more and much better on hills etc.

Spares are more easy to find except for Headlights. But the Reflectors can be Re-Silvered for around £100 each.

So forget any dilutions of repairing your 993cc and get a decent 1300.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:35 pm

ok giving it a second thought. 50 for a good used head would be fair. then diy it in.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kittykamper Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi all, I'm down in the Brighton area, slight misunderstanding. I haven't been charged £600 for diagnosis that was the price of the only new head he could get. Garage is going to put her back together and I will only be in to it for about £70. Limp her home(it's only mile and a half) and probably have a go myself with a second hand head to buy me some time till I find a good 1300 pickup to transfer the body on to. Thank you all for your advice especially Woody who answered my next question before I asked it. Pat will live again.

Sent from Topic'it App
kittykamper
kittykamper

Back to top Go down

Post by kittykamper Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Woodie wrote:Like we learned at Primary School - 4 into 3 won't go - until we got to Secondary School and learnt about Fractions and Tangents and Cosines and Trigonometry and turned everything we had learnt at Primary School on it's head.

Well forget about all that pointless rubbish that didn't help in the real world, and learn from this Scholar of the World.

If you are serious about spending £2500 on your 3 cylinder Hi-Jet - FORGET IT. PUT IT OUT OF YOUR MIND.
The only thing common between the 993cc and the 1300 is the 4 wheels and the 2 doors and windscreen and steering column switches. Virtually everything else is different, like axle, Propshaft, gearbox, cables, total wiring loom and too many things to list.

Spend your hard earned loot on a DECENT 1300, and preferably one with the bonus of LPG too. £2500 should buy you a stonking 1300 for that money. Better on fuel, 20bhp more and much better on hills etc.

Spares are more easy to find except for Headlights. But the Reflectors can be Re-Silvered for around £100 each.

So forget any dilutions of repairing your 993cc and get a decent 1300.

Cheers Woodie, advice taken, as you know us tiny camper people are soppy brastuds and are quick to let the heart rule the head, the Head gasket and the cooling system too. Oh and buy the way if any of you see a pickup that fits the bill let be know.

Sent from Topic'it App
kittykamper
kittykamper

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:32 am

You can get the head repaired by a good engine machine shop. Yes, you will find 993 engines are a rare thing, still looking for one as a spare myself.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down