Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first mot, right rear back light cover

Go down

My first mot, right rear back light cover Empty My first mot, right rear back light cover

Post by joop Fri May 24, 2019 12:57 pm

This morning i brought my beloved hijet 1300 van from 2003 to the garage for the yearly mot. I was a bit nervous, never brought this one to the garage before.

But luck was on my side, a steering rack cover/boot was cracked, which is a mot failure over here (in the netherlands). A few calls later i found 2 of them for 30 euro's brand new, better than the 90 euro's the garage first quoted (which by the way surprised the garage guys also).

Another one was that the headlights weren't adjust correctly. I haven't done the research on that one, but i can imagine that's shouldn't be too much of problem.

One thing that worried me was not a mot failure but something the mot guy said about the right tail light cover (when standing behind the car), it was repaired but did loose a bit reflection because it was repaired. This seems to be a mot failure when you have a really serious mot guy.

I suspect the right tail light covers are quite rare, but does anybody know where i could get one or know a place which i can monitor? (it doesn't have the be a original one)

joop

Back to top Go down

My first mot, right rear back light cover Empty Re: My first mot, right rear back light cover

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2019 8:16 pm

They don't have a cover Joop. They are a complete light unit in one. I can't spare one but someone on here might be able to help you. It's the OFFSIDE one that you need from over here.

Headlight adjustment is easy. On the bottom of the Headlight unit down near your foot is a black unit with a round adjuster. Don't forget that you also have a 2 position Switch on the lower dashboard to compensate for a heavy load.
A number of members have been caught out on Mot by this and the Mot Inspector not being familiar with the Vehicle. Adjust the headlights against a wall or garage door to get the beams balanced.

Back to top Go down

My first mot, right rear back light cover Empty Re: My first mot, right rear back light cover

Post by joop Sat May 25, 2019 8:29 pm

Cheers for the reply Woodie! Having no cover surprised me a little to be honest, but explains why i couldn't find one. In the meantime i did find entire modules for the rear side on ebay and various sites although i'll monitor a bit more to see what the prices do.

I took a dive below the dashboard and discovered the switch was in the on state, i did speak to the mot guy about this switch, but i suspect he didn't "get" it. After posting this topic i did read a bit about the adjustment screws, they seem to rust and sometimes it is quite the job too get them loose. But maybe i'm lucky again and only a bit 40wd does the trick.

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25, 2019 8:49 pm

Yours being 2003 surely has the Sealed Pointed Glass Headlights?? The earlier pre-98 3 cylinder models had the oblong Headlights which has 3 Spring Loaded adjuster screws that you have mentioned. The 1300 does not. The adjuster is inside the cab with a white plastic adjuster on it and the black 12volt Load Levelling Solenoid with the either a white or a black adjuster knob on it.

The 1300 doesn't have the same problem - just diabolical price, dimming Reflectors and in the UK total unavailability. Yours being Continental don't seem to have that problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:59 am

I picked up the broken/cracked part yesterday:
My first mot, right rear back light cover 223

I took a peek at the headlight adjustment, just in case the headlight adjustment button in the cabin wasn't the problem:
My first mot, right rear back light cover 224

After a bit of fiddling i took of the plastic cover. But i'm having trouble locating the "round adjuster". Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious?

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:08 am

I'm feeling really dumb this morning:
My first mot, right rear back light cover 225

Very Happy Little bugger tried to hide!

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 am

When picking up the cracked part i talked to the part guy at the dealership about the rear lights. And it seems they are still produced and can be ordered brand new. It was about 100 euro for the entire module. Good to hear that a lot of parts can still be ordered.

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 am

Well if was any clearer Joop it would bite you. You have taken a very good picture of the rear of the Headlight considering it is not the easiest place to photograph. The WHITE KNURLED NOB in the bottom left corner on the 12volt Solenoid, is the one that you turn for the fine adjustment.
When you have the dash mounted Load Levelling Switch in the high position use the white nob for fine adjustment to bring the reflector beam down or up to a point where it isn't dazzling oncoming vehicles, but you have got a reasonable distance of beam spread.

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:51 am

Cheers Woodie, i was first looking at the outside of the car for adjuster nob, but after posting my first reply i noticed a big plastic cover with a lamp on it in the cabin. After screwing it open i made the discovery that i was looking in the wrong spot all the time. There is was that big white nob, this made me feel really stupid.

Thanks for you being here!

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 am

Update update:
This morning i had the mot, after the failed mot, and after replacing the steering rack boot, the van the passed the mot! Very Happy

The headlight adjustment problem was indeed the button that raises/lowers the headlights, so there was no need to turn the white knob to adjust the headlights.

When i got home i saw that there was a "advice point" on the mot:
There was some liquid leakage, I'll soon dive underneath the car to see where it leaks.

Glad i can enjoy this van for another year!

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down