Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towbar Wanted

4 posters

Go down

Towbar Wanted Empty Towbar Wanted

Post by Seaspirit Thu May 16, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm looking to fit a towbar to my 2007 Piaggio Porter van. It has an lpg conversion so there's a gas bottle underneath where the spare wheel cradle usually sits. Can anyone help on where I can get a towbar that fits - I seem to be going round in circles emailing and ringing various places and getting nowhere!

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Towbar Wanted Empty Re: Towbar Wanted

Post by Guest Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 pm

It makes no difference whatsoever SeaSpirit. (or SS as I always shorten people's names on here) - the LPG Tank I am referring to. The standard Towbar for the van is held on with just 4 bolts.

I have today taken my rear bumper off to fit Parking Sensors so I will take some pictures of it for you and post them up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaspirit Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks Woodie, that's reassuring, do you know where to get one from though. Every towbar gargage I've asked has turned me away :-(

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 pm

I've fought that battle, you're not going to find it new. The new ones are all pick up tow bars. You need to search for it second hand/scrap yards that sort of thing.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaspirit Thu May 16, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks Lex - what do I ask for, is there a specific make or anything?

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 pm

As Lex says - and bear in mind that he lives in the Netherlands - secondhand is going to be your most likely source of a Van Towbar.

Annoyingly I have two Pickup ones but sold the last Van one I had a couple of years ago. Someone on here picked up a new one last year off Ebay - but around £150.

I don't think that you are going to find one on here. There have been several members with Towbar Wanted to no avail over the last year or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaspirit Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Many thanks I will keep my eyes peeled!!

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Fri May 17, 2019 8:59 am

I bought a new one on my first attempt. Was advertised as van, what I got was pick up. So if you find a new one online, be prepared to be disappointed. Don't party until you have it in your hands.

-edit-

https://hijet.forumotion.com/t3048-does-a-tow-bar-exist-for-the-1995-1996-993cc-blind-van-model#27356

Here's a picture of the one that is for the van.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Towbar Wanted Dsc_5519
Towbar Wanted Dsc_5520
Towbar Wanted Dsc_5521

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Towbar Wanted Dsc_5522
Towbar Wanted Dsc_5523
Towbar Wanted Dsc_5524

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaspirit Fri May 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Wow I really appreciate your help.
Can you let me know where these last 2 pictures are on the van/towbar?
Many thanks

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm

They are the Sandwich Plates SS. They sit behind the the bracket each in the recessed oblong hole.

My one of course had to be different to the other ones I have removed and fitted to other vans. My one as you can see has 3 bolts on the nearside but only two on the offside. All the other ones have been two bolts on the nearside as well.

Dead easy to fit. Just the 4 holes to drill, the sandwich plates on the back and do up the 4 bolts. It will take you longer to wire up the 7 pin plug than it will to fit the towbar. Easiest towbar I have ever fitted to a particular vehicle.
The Pickup Towbar is a good/bad bit harder to fit and totally different to the Van.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaspirit Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 am

That's really great thank you. Does the towbar have just the bar along the front (bolted at both ends), or does it also have a tie-in bar under the length of the van that is at right angles to the towbar? Also have you re-routed the cables for the reversing lights etc? Sorry for so many questions - just want to get it right!!

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 18, 2019 10:15 am

No SS. None of all that rubbish in the Diagram illustration. Plain and simple just 2 bolts each end and 2 Backplates and 4 Bolts. Reversing Light  wiring doesn't have to be altered. It is so easy. As I mentioned it will take you longer to get the 7pin Wiring done than fitting the Towbar.

If you need any more information or pictures - just ask. You won't always get a quick response from me. I'm either busy or unwell.
Unwell is not good. Brings out the worst in me unfortunately...... I tend to get a bit - no - a lot - intolerant of time wasters on here. You seem to be very genuine and appreciate the help, in which case I will do my best to help anyone out.

What part of Devon are you in. My parents lived in Newton Abbott and we had a holiday caravan at Bude. Cornwall I know but the West Country holds wonderful memories for me for over 60 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaspirit Sat May 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Sorry to hear you're unwell - I haven't heard any grumpyness, just a cheerful helpfulness which I really appreciate. We live near Kingsbridge near the coast. Its very beautiful and wonderful to be near the sea, although I do worry about the salt in the air on our Rodney Van!

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Well Del-Boy I guarantee that I have a lot more salty air than you do surrounded by sea on the Isle of Wight. And surprisingly most of the 250+ vans I broke up because of rust-  came originally from the Mainland. It was caused I think by the Salt used by the Highways in winter-time.

Our Highways used sand up until 3 or 4 years ago I think, so most of the Hi-Jets I got over here were relatively rust free. I had some really stonking deals over here. I am led to believe that Wight Motors sold more Hi-Jets than almost any other dealer in the Country.

I worked for Romahome and the huge number of Hi-Jets they bought over the years must have been in the high hundreds. Although they came directly from Daihatsu in Dover and later on they moved to Birmingham each sale was officially through Wight Motors because if there were any Warranty issues - I as Romahome's Warranty and Service Manager always had to go through them first to sort issues that were taken to Mainland Dealers.

My Parents as I mentioned were in Newton Abbot - straight down the A381 to Kingsbridge. We also had friends who lived at Kingswear facing the Naval College on the opposite bank of the River Dart.

Last edited by Woodie on Sun May 19, 2019 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 am

Hey Seaspirit, try this company in the link I've posted.....there's a fella on the FB Page who's ordered and fitted a tow-bar for his Hijet Van from this company...here you go, scroll down towards the bottom of the Page..... https://www.tharristrailers.co.uk/witter-tow-bars-de.html?fbclid=IwAR0i5Iruv4VPGRWT9W1cJ2NHA6MR8ZcU8SiGGK29ypWWICt5aPi1GTkFdjU

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19, 2019 8:33 am

Oh well done Inspector Oldie. Good man. A great bit of detective work there. I hope you don't mind if I post up the details.
I was almost on the Ball with the Ebay one I saw advertised last year - at around £150.

Unfortunately there is vat on top of that - but you have done everyone looking for a Towbar a great service in at least being able to actually get a towbar. I must admit that I would wince at the thought of forking out that much when in the past I have bought a van for £100 and there is a Towbar on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19, 2019 8:37 am

Towbar Wanted Screen29

If the picture is cropped - just tap on the picture and it should bring up the complete photo. Just tried it. It does bring up the complete photo. I don't know why this happens - not just on this Z3 Tablet but on my phone as well. Oh well, Ho-hum. At least you can get to see the details and price of £157 +vat. £184-48

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19, 2019 8:59 am

Towbar Wanted Screen30

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaspirit Sun May 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks Oldie for all your research - we think we've found one on Ebay - just checking the size is ok and then how to courier it here. We're in Devon and the towbar is in Lancashire! Otherwise we'll definitely go for that new one, price and all!

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaspirit Sun May 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Thanks Woodie, you have a lot of experience and knowledge - I'm really feeling part of the Hijet/Porter Community. We were in the Isle of Wight last year and delighted in seeing so many Hijets on the road. Hopefully the Devon coast will be gentle on our van.
Hopefully our ebay towbar will work. I'm now ordering some door sills and parts from Piaggio Commercial in Hull to get the floor through the MOT. Is there a Haynes manual or similar I can get hold of?

Seaspirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2019 10:49 am

Unfortunately Haynes Publishing never produced a Manual for the Hi-Jet of any description. There are Manuals on here to download. Not something that I have ever done. All mine is 17 years of Head Knowledge from hands on trial and error.

I think that Raggy found some Manuals to download recently. I'm sure if he can help with suggestions he will see this post later today and post up a reply.

Back to top Go down

Post by verryoldman Mon May 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Is the Suzuki carry manual any good if so PM me with your email & I will send to you
Also
https://hijet.forumotion.com/t3508-new-link-to-all-hijet-manuals-hosted-on-google-drive
verryoldman
verryoldman
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2019 5:26 pm

No sorry V.O.M. Totally different vehicle. Apart from 4 wheels and an engine and transmission that is the only similarity. Even the 12" wheels won't fit a Hi-Jet. But kind thought though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down