Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drive with back door open?

3 posters

Go down

Drive with back door open? Empty Drive with back door open?

Post by joop Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi hijet fans,

I was wondering if you could drive with the back door entirely open? (hijet 2003 van)

I need to transport a couple wood plates and later a few wooden beams.

30 mph would be the max speed and a lot less on the bumps. But i could go slower if needed.

Will the little springs (hydraulic?) that keep the back door up hold?

I'm planning on doing this a few times a year.

Just wondering and not wanting to do major harm to my beloved van.

joop

Back to top Go down

Drive with back door open? Empty Re: Drive with back door open?

Post by PFM Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:56 pm

What you mean something like this?
Drive with back door open? Shed_o10

Yes, but I'd stick to about 20-25mph. You MUST make sure your load is secure though (so nothing can slide out on hills, for example) and tie the tailgate down to the top of the load to stop it flapping about - see the red straps I used in the pic. IIRC if your load sticks out beyond a certain distance you need to tie a red reflective warning triangle, but that may be out-of-date info.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 am

Just be aware that the exhaust fumes will be sucked into the van as you travel. You'll soon smell them so open both front windows. And yes tie down the door or the 'bounce' will likely damage the little struts.

Good Luck.
biofos
biofos
Chatterbox

http://www.biofos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed May 01, 2019 8:41 am

Cheers for the helpful replies guys.

Last weekend i was looking how to tie the back door down, but beside the little and bridle side gaps at the side of the back window i couldn't find a way. The posted photo was quite handy, i took out the back panel on the inside of the back door and there are many attachment points. Although i did discover the panel was slightly damaged:
Drive with back door open? 102
Another task added to the queue!

With the posted tips and tricks, you wouldn't want to get dizzy by exhaust fumes while driving or loose the cargo  Wink , i feel much more confident about the transport project.

Thumbs up for the really fully loaded hijet ! I can't yet put anything on top (yet), but the wooden panels are indeed the same dimensions, although a little lighter.

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed May 01, 2019 9:46 am

You don't actually have to remove that panel - the rear wiper pivot is fairly sturdy and I've passed a strap round it on many occasions. I can't put anything on top either! Very Happy

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed May 01, 2019 10:14 am

Wondering how i could have overlooked that rear wiper pivot i walked to my car to discover i don't have a rear wiper Shocked

Drive with back door open? 103

Imagine i never noticed it was missing nor did i miss it.

Please ignore the patched up rust spots the previous owner did, another upcoming task.

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

Don't think I've ever seen one without rear wiper - and you seem to have a washer nozzle above the glass? Do you have a wash/wipe switch - middle one of 3 under brake fluid reservoir?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 am

There doesn't seem to be any visible repair of the removal of the rear wiper pivot on the outside (or they must have done a really good job). I took a dive underneath the steering wheel and found no wash/wipe switch either:
Drive with back door open? 104
Judging on the lack of holes or repairs in the button area i suspect it was never was one from the beginning.

Going back to the back of the car on looking at the nozzle it appears it is a camera , looking back inside i see some wiring leading to the front, although i will need to do a lot of stripping to see exactly where it goes. Maybe a idea to bring it back to life, driving backwards with the van is always a bit difficult in my short experience.

The things you discover when taking a good look at a car!

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed May 01, 2019 7:19 pm

LHD, then - are you outside the UK? Must be different spec from here. I have seen a Hijet fitted with parking sensors - not quite sure why they, or a camera, is needed to reverse such a short, flat-arsed van.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Wed May 01, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes, indeed, from The Netherlands. Good hijet's are becoming very rare over here. But there isn't really a "scene" yet, likely because most people still remember them as vans used for building and construction. But if I'm correct this should change in the coming years, just looking how much fun i have with the quirky car.

I sometimes find myself driving really slowly backwards cause i have no idea what's going on behind me, but that might just be me not used to vans in general. Embarassed

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down