Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Empty 1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion

Post by stevesubscription Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:43 am

Hello Everyone,

Haven't posted in about a year. Sorry! I believe the last time was just before my MOT and I was replacing the exhaust and CAT.
My 1.3 Headlights have rusted up real nice in the last 12 Months, might have something to do with moving to the Orkney Islands - all that salty air and rain and wind. Mind you the summer was very dry and really quite beautiful. Although the courgettes and veggies really needed plenty of watering in the polytunnel! The rainwater tanks were all dried up for about 2 months.

I'm going about trying to give the Hijet a wee facelift with new (the OLD) square headlights and side indicators and lower bumper indicator lights. The wiring i will try to worry about later once everything is in place, (the new light surrounds, and lights themselves).

Any help or advice from fellow 1.3 owners as well as 993 would be great - I'm currently attaching the first plastic surround and have the other, as well as my new headlights on route! Smile (thanks Woodie, I used PowerfulUK!) Anyone out there got the side lights and side indicator unit for both the off and near sides? Or know of a place to find such things

Hopefully I can get this all up and running within the week, but that is somewhat optimistic. I shall post some pictures soon.

stevesubscription
stevesubscription
Clubman

Back to top Go down

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Empty Re: 1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi Steve. I should have the Indicator light lights/side lights. Making up the three each side mounting brackets for the Headlights can be a bit challenging. Ideally you will need the 6 Special shaped Set Screws with strong springs and little washers.

Also with the larger 1300 Radiator and its mounting frame it is lower than the 1000 Bumper so you will have some cutting of the bumper to fit it around the Radiator and brackets.
It's been done on here before so it would be a good idea to do a bit of homework first. You may find that the Toyota HiAce Pick-Up has suitable set screws as they use the same Headlight as does the Bedford Rascal and the Daihatsu 4x4 too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm

I think that Scotia told me that PvDB's (in Holland) BEAUTIFUL green pick up with the 1000 front end is actually a 1300. I hope that I have got that right.

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks for the advice woodie, I think I will have to spend a day in the workshop making up some brackets. If you manage to find a drivers side indicator/sidelight unit that would be very cool, I have everything else I think.

I'll keep you updated

stevesubscription
stevesubscription
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:25 pm

Keep us posted with phots, much better than trying to explain things.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:54 am

cool Cool  Like woodie said look at the hijet woodbed project in the your pics section. This is a 1.3 hijet with golf 2 headlghts and modded bumper etc
1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion 13582113

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:02 pm

I hope this is not deemed a thread hijack by the wise men and women of the forum.

I am attempting something similar if not exactly the same. My van in the first picture (blue), I have already fitted the early bumper and after looking closely at the headlights I wondered if the earlier surrounds, grille, sidelights and headlights will fit from the second pic.

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Hijetn10

I read above
Woodie wrote:there are three each side mounting brackets for the Headlights can be a bit challenging. Ideally you will need the 6 Special shaped Set Screws with strong springs and little washers.

...is this applicable for what I am attempting and does anyone have anything available I can work from?
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:55 am

Timr,

Nice one - you see I'm glad I checked the forum today as I only just got a camera with SD card so now I dont have to faff around with USB cables and camera software. I successfully got my headlights onto the Hijet in March a week before the M.O.T and it passed. Albeit they had to be adjusted as I was running them a little too high into the sky.
I used the metal headlight holders from the bedford rascal/hijet 993 and then made up some brackets for holding them in place as they sit a little off set to the old holes that you screw into to hold the 1.3 headlights in place.
Had to suffice with some cable ties for just now to hold one side of the lights in place. Planning on getting a loan of a welder soon so I can make up some metal brackets that allow the headlight to be screwed in place. It will look a lot nice when I've done that, plus it will make for easier dismantle if I have to replace anything.

Keep in touch and let me know your progress.

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dscf4010
1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dscf4012
1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dscf4011
stevesubscription
stevesubscription
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 pm

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dscf4013
stevesubscription
stevesubscription
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:21 pm

stevesubscription wrote:Timr,

Nice one - you see I'm glad I checked the forum today as I only just got a camera with SD card so now I dont have to faff around with USB cables and camera software. I successfully got my headlights onto the Hijet in March a week before the M.O.T and it passed. Albeit they had to be adjusted as I was running them a little too high into the sky.
I used the metal headlight holders from the bedford rascal/hijet 993 and then made up some brackets for holding them in place as they sit a little off set to the old holes that you screw into to hold the 1.3 headlights in place.
Had to suffice with some cable ties for just now to hold one side of the lights in place. Planning on getting a loan of a welder soon so I can make up some metal brackets that allow the headlight to be screwed in place. It will look a lot nice when I've done that, plus it will make for easier dismantle if I have to replace anything.

Keep in touch and let me know your progress.  
That is looking good - the headlight surrounds are so different but its good to see the bodywork did not change.

You used the existing bumper, whereas I have managed to get the older bumper onto mine by cutting 2 inches out of the brackets and having a local handyman weld the tops back on. I also needed to bend the towing/lashing eye slightly up.

I'll be looking closely at your pics again when I get the parts together - but so far I read from your summary that its achievable - THANKS its what I wanted to hear! Great insights I can look out for those issues. I will see if I can find the rascal style headlight holders.
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:51 pm

See you put the old style indicators into the new style bumper, I did that as well except I moulded housings for them so they sat more on the corners.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:57 pm

Raggy! Yes I very much like your custom bumper. A quality wee job!
The guys at the garage always enjoy the "workmanship" on my van. Still I think it's rather refreshing for them to see people still maintaining and customizing their own vehicles.
stevesubscription
stevesubscription
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Timr! I think I still have one spare rascal headlight holder. Although I will have to check next week and get back to you on that one for sure.
If so you can have it for free
stevesubscription
stevesubscription
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 pm

stevesubscription wrote:Timr! I think I still have one spare rascal headlight holder. Although I will have to check next week and get back to you on that one for sure.
If so you can have it for free
Jeez I am well up for that, there is one on ebay but its a bit more than I expected for 1 only. Be really grateful if you can bounce
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 pm

Are the headlights and brackets from the Fourtrak the same?
1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Fourtr10[/url]
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Timr, Apologies for the late reply, just got back to the workshop and had a look. Looks like I have two headlights like the ones you are after, but sadly no metal mountain brackets. If you fancy one or both just let me know?
How are you getting on with your Hijet?
stevesubscription
stevesubscription
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:12 am

2 BRAND NEW HEADLIGHTS FROM POWERFUL UK ARE JUST £36 THE PAIR WITH FREE POSTAGE SO DON'T EVEN BOTHER LOOKING FOR SECOND HAND ONES.
I HAVE 6 OF THEM LEFT FROM THE LAST BATCH OF 10 I BOUGHT. THEY FIT THE RASCAL AND TOYOTA PICK-UP AND OTHER VEHICLES. THERE IS ALWAYS A MARKET OVER HERE FOR THEM.

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:07 am

stevesubscription wrote:Timr, Apologies for the late reply, just got back to the workshop and had a look. Looks like I have two headlights like the ones you are after, but sadly no metal mountain brackets. If you fancy one or both just let me know?
How are you getting on with your Hijet?

Woodie wrote:2 BRAND NEW HEADLIGHTS FROM POWERFUL UK ARE JUST £36 THE PAIR WITH FREE POSTAGE SO DON'T EVEN BOTHER LOOKING FOR SECOND HAND ONES.
I HAVE 6 OF THEM LEFT FROM THE LAST BATCH OF 10 I BOUGHT. THEY FIT THE RASCAL AND TOYOTA PICK-UP AND OTHER VEHICLES. THERE IS ALWAYS A MARKET OVER HERE FOR THEM.

Actually I found a pair of used Daihatsu Fourtrak lights with brackets, for just under £30 delivered, and they fit the headlight surround perfectly.

I still need to work out how to fit the brackets! And I assume the old lamp is not H4 (haven't checked) I would prefer to use a converter wire rather than cut the plug off.

I am also promised another headlight surrounds, corner lights and grill, just waiting for price including posting. It could all come together perfectly.

Meantime I am back on the water pump and timing belt.
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dsc_6110
1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dsc_6111

I have got matched pairs of Headlight Surrounds with indicators. 3 SE GRILLES at £35 + postage EACH.

G1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dsc_6112

Last edited by Woodie on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am

The 3 mounting Brackets are spot welded to the body and pretty awkward to get the upper one off of a 993cc. You will have to fabricate your own brackets.

Also there are 6 spring loaded Headlight Adjusters. Real Hens Teeth. I will send you a picture of the adjuster that fits in the slots on Headlights Oblong Clamping Bracket.

Last edited by Woodie on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:06 pm

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dsc_6113
1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dsc_6114

What are you lot going to do from the beginning of August? I mentioned a couple of months ago that I would be doing a      Leopard Pagan, or Highly-Jetted or a Logi and just popping in now and again.

If you need spares then email me at :
thehijetmaniow@gmail.com
I am taking time away from the stress of time spent on here starting August 4th so it will be "A un-revior" and I will not be on here on a regular basis anymore - - but I will will help out with DESPRATE problems - but in my own time scale I'm afraid. Regular friends on here that have my mobile number I will certainly still try to help with advice or parts.

Last edited by Woodie on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Woodie wrote:The 3 mounting Brackets are spot welded to the body and pretty awkward to get the upper one off of a 993cc. You will have to fabricate your own brackets.

Also there are 6 spring loaded Headlight Adjusters. Real Hens Teeth. I will send you a picture of the adjusted that fits in the slots on Headlights Oblong Clamping Bracket.

What a torment - I am hoping my contacts will deliver on promise, but its good to know you have some available. Next time I will check with you first, Woodie.

If that blue one in your picture was drivers side I might have asked for that as I bought an odd one just like that to see if it all lines up and that's also passenger side.

As for the mounting the headlights and adjusters, I have not thought about it yet - I was hoping to pick up some of the holes on my van, with some sort of adapter plate. However, I note it would need to be recessed quite a way back.

I have seen that type of sprung screw on older vehicles before, not that I remember which, so I am wondering if another vehicle's adjusters will suit.

I'll keep your time off in mind. Mine is a background project, I would be surprised if its on the road this year so I hope you're coming back full time in the autumn. Thanks for the tips you've given so far.
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm

I should have got several blue offside ones in my store in Ventnor. I expect to be going over there over the weekend. Do you want me to dig one out for you?

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Woodie wrote:I should have got several blue offside ones in my store in Ventnor. I expect to be going over there over the weekend. Do you want me to dig one out for you?

I'll message you for a delivered price on offside metallic blue surround, 2 corner light units and the grill. Thanks Woodie.
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:24 pm

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dsc_6115

An assortment of Daihatsu handles and the Rascal Door Pillar Grab Handles.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Awesome collection there! And damn theese are sturdy looking grab handles. A whole japanese family could hang on to this at once. Perfect fit for an engine juggler / bear trapper though.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Yes I know that I do go on about my Mobile Bear Traps but they do a lot of damage to mechanical parts.
My Nickname has been The Incredible Hulk for some 35 years now. Even now almost 70 no-one will risk Playing hand to hand Pea-Knuckle or an arm Wrestle.

My 40 years old son has finally given up the Idea of beating me. Nobody quibbles about the price of any work and only people on the Forum over the phone risk arguing with me.

I just have always been a show off because of my ludicrous strength. It's great fun.
Many friends have got hurt trying to beat me.
When I am in my Coffin is my usual reply.

Really I'm a big softee an regularly cry at the sad things you see on television. Always have some Mansize Tissues handy. I'm not ashamed to tell people that I cry. I am Human - I think, although anyone who has experienced my Bone Crushers might well disagree.

Back to top Go down

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Empty headlamp adjuster

Post by timr Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:03 am

I must remember not to cross woodie or meet him after dark.

Woodie wrote:1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dsc_6113
1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion Dsc_6114

I have been gazing at these pictures and can imagine devising a long bolt with a nut behind to take the place of the top-hat, then a spring. Although less elegant, surely with the right components a suitable replacement can be devised?
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 am

That is EXACTLY the solution I have told customers to use in the past. Bit fidley - but
it does the job.
I have put you in my Contacts List now so you can call me today anytime - apart from Pop-Master Quiz 10-28 to approx 10-50.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next