Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alarming reversal!

3 posters

Go down

Alarming reversal! Empty Alarming reversal!

Post by PFM Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Some 20 years ago, I purchased an accessory reversing alarm as I sometimes had to back into a school car-park when the kids could start using that route to get from one lesson to another - but never got round to fitting it.

There is a large complex I have to visit which occasionally becomes a construction-site for a major event. About 4 years ago some lunatic walked into the path of someone's reversing pick-up and ever since everyone's supposed to have a banksman whilst reversing (which isn't practical for me for various reasons - or really necessary given the length of the van and the rear visibility with 3 decent mirrors and a huge back window!). So, I remembered the reversing alarm and fitted it to my '08 Porter. Now, you're thinking of the usual 'beep...beep...beep' or maybe "This vehicle is reversing" but no, this one was cheap. It squawks like a seagull being driven over...seagull being driven over...seagull (you get the idea). It works, because when I turn it's over-ride switch off and put the van into reverse it gets the attention of everyone in the neighbourhood.

So am I the only one with a reversing alarm on a Hijet or Porter? Do you have an accessory on yours which you think is unique to the marque?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Alarming reversal! Empty Re: Alarming reversal!

Post by Raggy Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Have put an integrated mirror/reversing camera display on mine. Integrated the camera into my rear spoiler. Wouldn’t think it’s unique to the porter marque, but novel for such a short van.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:29 pm

I'd forgotten you did that! I once came across one Hijet that had reversing sensors fitted - couldn't see the point but your camera makes more sense. Can you remotely change the viewing angle if there's a blonde in a convertible behind you (ahem, for example)?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 pm

PFM wrote:...reversing sensors fitted

I have those! the display has fallen off the back window though. The curious thing about the way it was fitted is that if you're looking at the back window you can see how close the object is behind you anyway.

Unless, like I did last week, you bump into a tyre leaned just out of sight

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 pm

The ones that I have on my vehicle is so easy to fit in seconds and better still - there is absolutely no wiring to do and the light is very bright.

My Reversing Alarm is all in one in the Halogen Light Bulb.
Couldn't be easier. The one that I have had in my MPV for 5 years, prior to that was in my Red Pickup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 am

Alarming reversal! Screen16

My very simple solution to fitting a Reversing Bleeper, with the bonus of a Halogen Light too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 am

Good idea Woodie,
PFM, no mine does not change viewing angle, I just have to put up with getting a crick in my next in that situation!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:02 am

I looked at those combo bulbs Woodie, but the problem for me is they work all the time and I don't want to disturb the neighbours every time I reverse onto my drive. I don't need halogen, I have LED's: sunny
Alarming reversal! Img_2012

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:04 am

Predictive Wording again Raggy. Crick in your NEXT!  Next what? I would assume that you meant NECK. lol!

Last edited by Woodie on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 am

Yes I agree with you there PFM. That is the drawback with them even though they provide a very quick and easy solution to the Bleeper and the bonus of a brighter 21w light.
Also I'm amazed how many years this bulb has lasted as I said that I had it in my Red Pick-Up for some time - I actually found it in a van I was dismantling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum