Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intermittent wipers

2 posters

Go down

Intermittent wipers Empty Intermittent wipers

Post by gogopiaggio Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 pm

My intermittent wipers go once every ten minutes or so. Anyone got any tips. Not really sure where the relays/timers are, though obviously behind the dash somewhere. My van is so much newer than many other members that surely everyone has had this problem? Or is it something Piaggio "enhanced" in the newer models?!

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Intermittent wipers Empty Re: Intermittent wipers

Post by PFM Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:15 pm

The frequency of wipe is the same on my '08 Porter as my '02 Hijet, though the '02 takes longer to respond when the stalk is moved to initiate them. Do they work fine on continuous wiping? The problem is likely to be either connections or the controlling relay which I think is up behind the dash to the right of the steering column.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Oh yes, the wipers work normally. I didn't think the intermittent wipe worked at all but left them on by accident one day and they gave me a surprise.
I will dig out the controller relay. Presumably a standard part!?
Thanks PFM!

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:10 pm

The Intermittent Wiper Relay is bolted above the  OBD2 Connection. The dash is sandwiched between the two with 10mm head set bolts. There is a white multiplug connected into it. Dead easy to replace. And no I have found it very rare that one doesn't work - and I have dismantled several hundred Hi-Jets.
If you need one.....

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:34 pm

Woodie, thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in. If it doesn't look like a part I can get from a locally available scrap Mercedes for free (doesn't seem very likely!), I'll be in touch. I will be after a few bits from you this spring anyway...
Cheers!

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Intermittent wipers Dsc_0111
Intermittent wipers Dsc_0112

Hope these two pictures will help you all. Intermittent wipers Dsc_0112

Hope these pictures help you all out. Never been told that I have "Chimed in" before. It's usually " Sticking your Oar in". I'm pretty accomplished at that. Do I care?? Nope!! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:34 pm

Hmmmm!! Double vision. This Tablet always plays me up. You think that it hasn't sent the image and press it again and Hey presto!! Buy one, get one free.

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Woodie. Thanks for this. Earlier today I had some time, removed the part you've photographed and disassembled it. Inside are 3 capacitors and a buzzer. A quick test plugged/unplugged shows the buzzer is the lights-on reminder bell.

I have a feeling that this is an IoW practical joke of the first order. He really did chime in.

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Intermittent wipers Dsc_0113
Intermittent wipers Dsc_0114
Intermittent wipers Dsc_0115

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Intermittent wipers Dsc_0116

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm

You are absolutely right. Brain Fade. Sincerely sorry about that.
As you can see the Wiper Relay is at the top of the Fuse Box Assembly. The Relay is a bit of a pig to remove from the Assembly. There are two little lugs - things that Daihatsu love to put on everything to make life more difficult. The two lugs need to be prised away from the base it sits on. Trying to Gorilla it off the Fuse box can snap the plastic off the fuse box and then you are in the Cacky.

The easiest way to get the Relay off is to drop the whole fuse box down - it's only held on with two Set Screws. Once down you can prise the two little lugs off the "Ears" and wiggle it off. It holds on quite hard. Have a good look at the pictures closely and you will see what I mean.

Once again, sorry for the "Fools Errand". At least I didn't tell you the Buzzer was held on with "Sky Hooks" lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:44 am

The only thing that could make me more stupid than dismantling the headlight warning would be failing to find the clearly labelled WIPER CONTROL in almost the exact location anyone else would expect to find it.

Thanks for the dismantling advice, it's much appreciated!

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Well, the older I get - the more I for-get. 13 months off of 70 now - and still managing to get some work done.

If you have a look right next to the heater, but up under the Dash you can just see the little beggar. But impossible to get it off without dropping the whole Fuseboard.

I had a very close encounter last night when I was taking those pictures for you. I went out into the shed and retrieved the box with the Fuse Boards and Steering Column Controls in. I took everything out onto the table and as I was sorting out the best one to photograph, I felt something on the back of my left hand tickling my Hair Bear Trap hands. Close Encounter of The Nasty Kind. It was a Queen Wasp. Flipping heck!! I guess it had been Wintering in my Shed and the warmth of the kitchen had awoken it from its slumber.

If that had stung me at my age I could well have suffered Anaphylactic Shock or Heart Failure. Phew!! Close call. Soon killed that. Hate the damn things.

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 pm

To finish this off, after Woodie's near-life experience and everything else, it appears that just talking about the Wiper Control, or a casual poke, has resurrected it. Maybe in Peterborough the wipers are never used, maybe the connections are crusted. But I'm very happy to have them working because the use of intermittent wipers is synonymous with a dry day in Wales.

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Glad you got it fixed, if possibly only temporarily. I often find a 'casual poke' to be very effective Very Happy

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down