Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PARTS AVAILABILITY - Hi Jet

3 posters

Go down

PARTS AVAILABILITY - Hi Jet Empty PARTS AVAILABILITY - Hi Jet

Post by Westcoaster Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:43 am

Joined here as I found you by total accident whilst trawling the net for info on Daihatsu HiJets ...  
Back in early 00's I was looking at these secondhand , even went for a test drive in one - family owned and only a couple of years old .
Thoughts at the time - Fun but very basic . Oddly went for a test drive in a second hand Charade - that was worse and like driving a tin can on square wheels .
Main aim has been recently to get a van , basic is now good - use it for throwing things in then as an emergency overnight camper .
Remembered one oldie that was fantastic - Subaru Sumo but gave up looking  Crying or Very sad  
Am back at HiJets .
My needs then were totally different - now its getting about on a budget . Average £40 B&B - no chance , I'll sleep in my vehicle on away trips.     My intention was to get  six seater , strip the spare seats out and then basic provisions for sleeping that could be put back if ever needed  .  
Main concern is PARTS !
- I have just discovered that Daihatsu pulled out of the UK - and only recently . Sad
- am more than happy to rummage scrap yards for cheap parts - did it in me yooof for Minis but .... where do you guys for things like exhausts ....are they still obtainable here if dealers have stopped any Daihatsu involvment ?  Evil Bay prices for exhaust systems are utterly astonishing .
Up till now buying in from EU suppliers would be easy - I see Holland has a strong Daihatsu engagement but after next March .... Crying or Very sad
Am amazed that even bizarre little things like door handles are a pain to find - for such a recent van - secondhand only and at $$$$ per handle  bounce .

Westcoaster

Back to top Go down

PARTS AVAILABILITY - Hi Jet Empty Re: PARTS AVAILABILITY - Hi Jet

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum - there are still plenty of parts new and used. Daihatsu HiJet is now sold in the UK as the Piaggio Porter - your HiJet (unless a gray import) was built in Italy not Japan. The most Japanese thing in your HiJet is the original design and the electronics.
As for after Brexit - well that applies to nearly every vehicle on the road in this country. Surprised (NO I am not kicking off on that subject) Crying or Very sad But many of the components will be made in Europe. So if you are going to worry about spares etc - scrap the mechanical machine and get a horse and cart. Laughing Very Happy
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:09 am

I used Regis Exhausts to purchase  a 03 back box for around a £100 delivered .
They are contactable by phone and also on ebay (I think the chaps name is neil in bognor regis)

Just a side note my original 03 van back box is actually still fitted 15 years later after welding it up twice and 50,000 miles or so .
So if you can get it welded then that buys some time I had a suspect garage (greys in ealing) do it for 70£ driving in and out.... as didnt know about Regis
I suspect when the rear box is changed the Lamba sensor will not undo and may need cutting out/off so will need someone with half a brain so as not to destroy the sensor.

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down