Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

skylarks new facia

5 posters

Go down

skylarks new facia Empty skylarks new facia

Post by Raggy Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:34 pm

skylarks new facia Imag1817

Been on the go this little project for a while just never seemed to get any further so one big push and its done (well not quite but nearly). Always been a bug bear that the speedo etc is so hard to read at night. Ive added other LED lights etc which improved things but they eventually burnt out so a rethink was in order. Whats a bad colour to see at night...yes black, whats the speedo facia...yes black. So as some others have done I have changed it to white. Was going to do a clear layer behind with the colours for the warning lights but found some colour LED bulbs to replace the existing ones. Main background is white self adhesive vynal pprinted and stuck to a clear acetate sheet. All is well until you find Daihatsu reverse the polarity for the indicator warning for turning left or right! My LEDs are polarised so they only work one way, had to resort to putting old bulb back but coloured green with a marker pen...not really acceptable but it works. Apart from making a electronic Wheatstone bridge from diodes (remember those from school?) anynone got any other ideas?
As mine is a 993 there were two bulb holes spare (I dont get fuel warning light) I added a light for the fan override and one for when lights are on.
Apart from that happy with it.

Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

skylarks new facia Empty sky lark

Post by GEORDIE Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:29 am

very very nice,wish I had your skills.

GEORDIE
Centurion

Back to top Go down

skylarks new facia Empty Re: skylarks new facia

Post by PFM Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:06 am

Yes, top work again Raggy.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Seems the solution to my indicator LED issue had two solutions, one is to use a bridge rectifier (not a Wheatstone bridge as I was initially told) to make sure it always presents the LED with +veg and -veg the correct way How to make a bridge rectifier. The other solution is to just put two LEDs in the bulb holder, bit fiddly and you have to make sure they fit through the instrument binnacle bulb hole. Managed it and it works a treat. Found Inhad not got the speedo needle on quite right when I first tested it as I put it against its stop as it’s starting position so it read high. Solution as I found is to push it on part way pointing to 0 then rotate it so it’s past the end stop then push it fully home so it allows the pin to stop it. Now, why do they have to stop pin at 10mph and not at 0mph? Any way, works a dream now and actually indicates correct speed more than it did before. Checked it against GPS speedo. Odometer also works now as I had not got one of the cyclinders set right (had to change the mileage to match the original as it’s a spare set I modified just in case I had to go back to the originals).
Now on to the central locking and electric windows, central locking looks straight forward but the instructions for the electric windows Shocked
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by verryoldman Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Raggy's   How to make a bridge rectifier. is the way to go but you have to fit current limiting resistor. LED's are low voltage\current items in the main
Here is a simple site to show you how to calculate also remember you are dealing with to 14,4v when charging A LVRegulator is also a help to their life
http://ledcalc.com/
Here is a 5/15 volt to 3V LVR
https://www.banggood.com/DC-DC-Step-Down-Module-12V-to-33V-Voltage-Regulator-MP2259-Board-p-957356.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_ods&utm_content=heath&utm_campaign=pla-fpv-gb-pc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIorj_gPnE3AIVB7TtCh2C4gPNEAQYBCABEgIO-_D_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

verryoldman
verryoldman
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks, the LEDs had resistors already connected.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:51 pm

What you have found is that the LED bulbs are polarity sensitive whereas the ordinary ones aren't. All you have to do is turn the bulb round.

There used to be, probably still is , someone on the internet who made polarity insensitive LED car bulbs for sale but I can't remember the name.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Yes I knew that they were polarised which was OK for the other bulbs to just turn around but with the indicator light it switches the polarity so it will only work left or right not both. That’s why you need a bridge or two bulbs in parallel so it works both ways. Oh the joys of Daihatsu and negative switched vehicles!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

skylarks new facia Empty bridge

Post by verryoldman Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 pm

skylarks new facia Dscf0010
Just to show an example rough & ready diodes are way to heavy for 1 led
verryoldman
verryoldman
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down