Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cable clutch adjustment

2 posters

Go down

Cable clutch adjustment  Empty Cable clutch adjustment

Post by PiaggioLux Tue May 15, 2018 7:35 am

I have the Piaggio Porter from 2015. It seems to have the same clutch setup as the Daihatsu Hijet. It is a cable clutch and the first cable clutch I have owned. From my younger days I recall they cable clutches need to be periodically adjusted. How often should the cable be adjusted and how is it done?

The Piaggio has approximately 30000 km on it and the clutch cable has never been adjusted.

Also, since day one the bite point in this vehicle has always been quite high. Is this normal? Can it be adjusted also?

Many thanks!

PiaggioLux
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Cable clutch adjustment  Empty Re: Cable clutch adjustment

Post by kernowjon01 Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Adjustment is down where the cable goes into the Bellhousing. - Do an 1/8th turn at a time until it feels right.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiaggioLux Wed May 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Only an 8th of a turn? Seems quite small.

What about the bite point, is it possible to adjust the height at which the clutch starts to engage?

PiaggioLux
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Wed May 16, 2018 6:49 pm

I think you will find turning the large plastic ring anti-clockwise will lower the bite point as this winds the support tube in. I said 1/8th turn at a time until it feels right - it is quite sensetive.

Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiaggioLux Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks for this. Which plastic ring are you referring to? Sorry but I am a bit new to these microvans. Have only worked on a 2009 Mini Clubman which is my main daily driver. It has a hydraulic clutch.

PiaggioLux
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 pm

PiaggioLux wrote:Thanks for this. Which plastic ring are you referring to?  Sorry but I am a bit new to these microvans. Have only worked on a 2009 Mini Clubman which is my main daily driver. It has a hydraulic clutch.

Look under the van lefthand side front end of the gearbox where it joins the engine - this is the Bellhousing look at the forward facing flat plate - see the clutch cable going into the Bellhousing and you will see a big 35 - 40mm plastic knurled ring -

I suggest you look for a manual to download.

Jon

kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down