Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My jet is a hiiiiiijet

4 posters

Go down

My jet is a hiiiiiijet Empty My jet is a hiiiiiijet

Post by delcampo Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 am

Hi guys!

I'm Bart from Belgium, last week I went north of the border to buy a low milage hijet 1300 16v pickup.
I've been looking for some information on my latest purchase, but every time I end up on this forum (with satisfying results), so I was thinking I might just join the club Smile
My van is completely standard, but I don't plan on keeping it this way.
This is what I currently have in mind:
Paintjob: some creamy brown color with green touches.
Front swap: I like the look of the older version more.
Lowering: nothing too wild. from what I googled, I'll be looking into industrial springs for the front. (eibach makes almost any kind of spring, my last employer used eibach valve springs (about 500mm's tall Smile )
Sun/panoramic-roof: will need to hammer the "fins" down for this.
Rims: looking for something in the 13 inch area.
Engine: porting of the head/ filter + box/ remap

Here's some pictures of how it sits now:
My jet is a hiiiiiijet Img_1410
My jet is a hiiiiiijet Img_1411

cheers!

delcampo

Back to top Go down

My jet is a hiiiiiijet Empty Re: My jet is a hiiiiiijet

Post by Raggy Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Welcome, from that garage it looks like you have the kit to do the modes, engine lift etc etc. Glad you found the site useful and as usual welcome to the mad house. Waiting with interest of your developments for the hijet.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:50 pm

welcome man, nice intro and plans Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi Bart and welcome. From the two pictures you have put up, you have already got the hang of Picture Posting. You will have newbies and oldies asking you for lessons.

It certainly looks a nice very tidy Pick-Up to be starting your project off with. I am not familiar with your vehicle registration system, but does your number plate indicate that it is in fact a 2008 model??
I smiled at the thought of 50cm Valve Springs. However long and what diameter would the valves be for crying out loud?? From a Marine Engine??

Changing the front end is quite a bit of work, doing a Reverse Raggy really. If you are going to there are the 6 little spot welded brackets for the spring loaded Oblong Headlight adjusters. The front bumper and radiator mount you would need from the 1200 Diesel van and the under bumper Radiator wrap around protector bar and lots of niggly little bits and pieces.
The ideal answer is to see if you can pick up a complete pre-98 1200 diesel for all the bits you will need. The 993cc radiator mounts are different as the radiator is much smaller. Technically speaking the 1300 radiator is actually the original 1200 Diesel radiator, but something at the back of my mind is telling me that the 1300 radiator mounting bracket has subtle differences to the 1200 Diesel one coming off the earlier shell.

Annoyingly I have just last week sent a 1200 Diesel van with the Radiator and mounting brackets to the Scrap Yard last Wednesday. It has been in my yard for almost 3 years!!! Murphys Law we call it.

Keep us up to speed with your project and Scotia is a very good friend to have on here for help with advice - especially if you can find any Suzuki Carry spares to bribe him with.

Back to top Go down

Post by delcampo Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:39 pm

@Raggy Thanks man! I'm a few attributes (and a bunch of experience) shy of being able to make my own gearbox. Nice craftsmanship on your van btw!

@ Scotia thank you! Love your ride!

@ Woodie: thank you too sir!
About the number plates: there's a system, but it's basic: the first number/letter defines the type of vehicle: regular car (1), taxi (t), diplomat (cd), oldtimer (o), or if you picked your own combination (9). the rest of the numbers/ letters are random. (and the plates on the picture actually belong to my peugeot partner, I used them to get home)

I was digging in my image archive and the springs themselves are a bit shorter than they were in my imagination (actually 30 cm's) the valves themselves are 52. And you are correct, they belong to a marine engine (abc dl36; 650kw/cylinder). I've added a picture of the actual valves and a tape ruler next to. And another one with the springs in top view.

My jet is a hiiiiiijet Img_6111
My jet is a hiiiiiijet Img_6110

Thanks you very much about the information about the front end rebuild. Could it be an option to relocate the current radiator with custom brackets? Is there any know aluminium radiator that fits more or less?

A pitty you've just scrapped that diesel van, those parts would've been welcome. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on here and the local webpages. Sure something will pop up on time. Don't plan on all of this to happen within the next few months. Maybe during my summer holidays, if I found everything by then

delcampo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:48 pm

thanx man  Smile
Did you see the hijet woodbedproject from pvdb?
He did a conversion to his 1.3 to old style front with round lights.
They are actualy vw golf 2 lights, same size i have in my carry.
You can buy a lot of cool cheap aftermaket lights like crosshair and angel eyes for arounfd 65 euro.

He made a custum front bumper to that covers the lower part of the 1.3 radiator.
Woodys idea is verry good to but its always better to have to much options than one no?

link to topic https://hijet.forumotion.com/t3414-hijet-pick-up-woodbed-project

Back to top Go down

Post by delcampo Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:56 pm

You're messing with my head Scotia :p
First I was sure I wanted to go all straight lines, because so will be the car... But now I'm reconsidering round lights. Just golf 2 is a bit big for my liking. E30 has smaller headlights, but they are double... More research is needed! Smile

delcampo

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 am

Before you totally commit you may want to consider radical - scroll through this thread.
https://hijet.forumotion.com/t4036-for-kernowjon01-behind-this-pretty-exterior-lies-a-very-hot-secret
Really different and fools everyone! The first one has a GRP front and the second is steel.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by delcampo Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:09 am

That looks nice Jon! Personally, I would not go into that much custom anymore. Decided so after crashing my first car. I prefer not to have those feelings again Smile
On other news... got some delay in the registration... The law requires a European COC that needs to be requested. If Daihatsu of Piaggio can't give me one, I need to go for a special inspection that would cost just shy of 800 euri...
Whilst waiting for the ever so important paperwork, I'll cut a hole in the roof for some glass that arrived, and fix the rust peaking from underneath the seal.
Think I'll start posting in another section from now on.
My jet is a hiiiiiijet Img_1412
My jet is a hiiiiiijet Img_1413

delcampo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:07 am

nice Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by PvdB Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Hey Bart,
Welcome to the forum! You have bought a beauty!! How many km's does it have on the clock? Did you buy it from the Netherlands? You should have seen the wrack I started out with...
You have a perfect roof and want to cut it open, while I literally had a small pond on the roof. You can't imagine how much effort it took to make it straight again.

Really looking forward to see how you project will end up!
PvdB
PvdB
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by delcampo Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:30 am

Hi Patrick Smile

Thanks! The hijet is a 2001 with 18688 km's on it.
Came from the Netherlands indeed, Sas v Gent, named after the city I actually live in, half an hour drive.
You really took your van to the next level, I think it's the coolest Hijet I've seen so far! Big thumbs up! (showed it to some friends too, and they too were impressed (with the Daxes and your ride)).
I can imagine it's not an easy task to straighten the roof... Gonna take it real slow with the welding so hopefully I don't have too much hammer/heat time.
Would've gladly donated my roof's leftovers if our timelines matched and if they were even donateable Smile But from the looks of it you did just fine without. Very crafty!

delcampo

Back to top Go down

Post by PvdB Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 am

Wow.. That's nice! Smile
Why haven't I seen it for sale... I'm checking the internet for nice hijet's frequently. But haven't seen this one.

Thanks for your appreciation about my woodbed. I noticed that the Honda Dax'es are really popular in Belgium! At least there are a lot more for sale over there then here in the Netherlands. And prices are a bit better in Belgium as well. So perhaps I will buy one over there some time.

Straightening the roof can be a tough job. The metal is really thin, so I thing welding will give you some additional work. I also hope the roof is strong enough to hold the heavy glass. You probably already noticed that it can vibrate very easily. But if it's not strong enough you can always weld some support ribs on the inside. Really looking forward to the result Smile
PvdB
PvdB
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:17 pm

how about a newer style front or just front bumper?
i like the look of newer ones.. and i think it should fit easy to.
those bumpers are something like 125euro

My jet is a hiiiiiijet Maxres11

link to a webshop.. they may be cheaper somwhere else.. apewebshop are always verry expensive with their parts
https://www.apewebshop.nl/index.php?item=bumper-voorzijde-porter-_2010&action=article&group_id=20000276&aid=7310&lang=nl

Back to top Go down

Post by delcampo Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:43 am

@PvdB

The seller said it was for sale for some time already, but he only had it online for one day (it appeared on 2dehands.be)... that day I was looking for a pickup that's capable of hauling my machines and would fit in my garage. (I was looking for a hilux 2wd gasoline, but they're pretty rare (and pretty expensive))

I'm also hoping the leftover metal can handle the 8kg sunroof. If not we'll go welding or glueing extra structure. The initial tests look promising, but time will tell.

My weapon of choice is TIG to weld the roof, one dot at the time, and a damp sponge on the side. Hoping it doesn't go bananas.

Yesterday I got all welding areas as clean as it gets, and today I'll finally start adding material again.

@Scotia
I don't like the grumpy bug look they gave to the new models... The current state of mind tells me to find some squarish headlights, fit an s85 bumper, and custom fibreglass the leftovers

delcampo

Back to top Go down

Post by delcampo Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:34 am

Hella 003177801 looks like an option for the headlights. Size, prize and quality are all good.

delcampo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum