Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalled today and wouldn't restart

3 posters

Go down

Stalled today and wouldn't restart  Empty Stalled today and wouldn't restart

Post by gazza01 Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi all. I have a 98 1.3 EFI. Which stall today when waiting at some traffic lights and wouldn't restart. The van was running fine. Not overheating and no nasty noises. It was idling fine and the just stalled. I've had the van for several months now and had no issues at all with it. Anyway the breakdown guy checked a few bits a bobs and it seems it has no spark at the plugs. So where's the best place to start and what checks to make. I'm not upto speed with hijet mechanics so an idiots guide may be a good thing here. Cheers Gary.

gazza01
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Stalled today and wouldn't restart  Empty Re: Stalled today and wouldn't restart

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Have a look at the thread "Electrical Woes" in general Hijet discussion. May be a help.
I assume the engine turns over.
Start simple - is the fuel pump working? Listen as you turn on you should hear it. Disconnect a fuel piupe turn on does fuel flow under pressure?
Move to Ignition and check the wiring is OK.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Stalled today and wouldn't restart  Empty Re: Stalled today and wouldn't restart

Post by Raggy Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Definitely check those two wires from the battery +ve terminal. Check they are fine at the battery end and that the wires are in good condition to the grey socket/plug about 12” away from it on the other side of the battery box. Take it from me they give those exact symptoms!...I know from experience!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gazza01 Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Thanks i will check the wires at the battery. Although I have all the instrument lights when the ignition is on. Also the plugs were soaked when the breakdown guy checked the plugs. This will be from my constantly trying to start it without a spark I guess. He also sprayed some easy start into the air filter just to see if it would try to fire, but no sign of it trying at all. So I think the fuel is getting through. I will go through it more tomorrow. Is there a classic ignition problem with them other than the wires at the battery. As I say I do have power to everything else including the instrument cluster. Anyway will check them and repost once I've been through it. Cheers for now.

gazza01
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Yes, that’s the classic symptom, I had starter turning, lights on dash, everything except spark! One of the wires supplies power to the ECU...no power to ECU, no spark, no start....but you do get everything else.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gazza01 Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Fingers crossed then will check in the morning thanks.

gazza01
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:55 pm

I am thinking more along the lines of the Camshaft Sensor on the back of the head. They have 2 annoying habits. They die without warning and can't be resurrected, or the one of the two wires that come out of the Sensor breaks and kills the engine with the same symptoms but often the wire breaks as it comes out of the plastic moulding around the wires where it exists the sensor.

Or the third possibility - assuming that you have checked to make sure that the cambelt hasn't broken - is that the Camshaft itself has broken.
Take the Camshaft Sensor off the head and get someone to turn the engine over while you check the see if the end of the Camshaft is turning around while the engine is being cranked over.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:00 am

Good info there Woodie.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gazza01 Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:55 am

OK guys. A quick and hopefully final update on this issue. Went out this morning to check all the bits mentioned but had a quick look at the fuses first and found the 20 amp one for the fan was blown. Changed it and she started first time. I had recently put one of woodies over ride switches on, that was a few months ago, and its been running fine since. I think either it had come loose or maybe with all the floods maybe some rain had got in there. And possibly the fan had wanted to come on yesterday as its been a bit warmer and found an issue which was just sitting there waiting?Anyway I have cleaned and secured it all again and all seems good now. I cant think why that would knock out the spark to the plugs though, but you guys will have a better idea on that than me. I shall be carrying some fuses from now on, which i should have been anyway really.

gazza01
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Don't you just love it when it is something as simple as that. I thought that you had checked the fuses, but I must admit it is very easy to miss one or not put it back in properly. I know - I have done it myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by gazza01 Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi woodie. No hadn't checked the fuses. It took 5 hours to get recovered from the centre of reading by the AA and by the time I got back I'd had enough for the day. Thanks.

gazza01
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 am

Glad you got it sorted with a simple fix, share your pain with waiting for the AA to recover!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gazza01 Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 pm

OK guys back again with the same problem. Had the van out most of the day no issues since the last time it happened but today got to some traffic lights, had only just pulled up and it stalled and wouldn't restart.Put a new 20 amp fuse in the fan fuse and off she went again no problem. Generally she runs with the temp gauge sitting in the middle and maybe a couple of Millimetres toward the hot, then in traffic it climbs and i normally put the heater fan on and it drops. When out of traffic i can turn it back off again. But it's getting warmer now so it is not great having your legs burning everywhere you go. So guys where is my first port of call to check. The top up bottle level is OK but I am guessing that is no indication. I need to go over it but where would you check first. Thanks. (1.3 efi 1998)

gazza01
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:08 pm

I think - check your Fan wiring first - the problem is not overheating - it is there is a fault either in the fan wiring chafed wires and an intermitent short circuit check with Mk1 eyeball but like all intermitent faults hard to find - maybe rewire the fan / and switch circuit using new wires. The other possibility is the fan motor - take it off and run it on the bench - can you smell anything - you could replace it on a just-in-case principle.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by gazza01 Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:29 am

Thanks. I'm inclined to agree a short somewhere. Will go over it and see what I can see.

gazza01
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down