Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiator & Leaf Springs/Assister for my Daihatsu Hijet or Piaggio Porter?

4 posters

Go down

Radiator & Leaf Springs/Assister for my Daihatsu Hijet or Piaggio Porter? Empty Radiator & Leaf Springs/Assister for my Daihatsu Hijet or Piaggio Porter?

Post by g149 Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 pm

I'm looking for a Radiator & Leaf Springs (or Leaf Assister) for my Daihatsu Hijet Pickup 2005.  Radiators listed seem to be 1990s and don't go up to my late 2005 model. Piaggio Porter listed radiators are cheaper and my Daihatsu badged pickup is stamped Piaggio on the body.  So will a Porter radiator fit?  Likewise with leaf springs!  Also, I've heard of spring assisters - are they recommended.  Advice please. Thanks.

g149
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Radiator & Leaf Springs/Assister for my Daihatsu Hijet or Piaggio Porter? Empty Re: Radiator & Leaf Springs/Assister for my Daihatsu Hijet or Piaggio Porter?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 pm

I have got Radiators and leaf springs. Coil Springs Assister Kits for the rear leaf springs are expensive, when you can find them.

Easiest way is to take the top leaf from another pair of springs and angle grind the ends off and put the extra leaf under the top leaf obviously and bolt it together so that you you have a five leaf spring. The U bolts are just about long enough to cope with the extra thickness.

Back to top Go down

Radiator & Leaf Springs/Assister for my Daihatsu Hijet or Piaggio Porter? Empty Re: Radiator & Leaf Springs/Assister for my Daihatsu Hijet or Piaggio Porter?

Post by kernowjon01 Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:55 pm

You can get coil spring spring assisters from Custom Campers cost me £300 plus a bit.
Simple to fit.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:35 am

Jon:

Just spied your post regarding coil spring assisters. Have these improved the ride of your van? My MPV when empty is very bouncy and I can't decide if the assisters will make it better or worse Smile  Also, what does the fitting entail please?

Thanks,

John.
biofos
biofos
Chatterbox

http://www.biofos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Bouncy would appear to indicate the shock absorbers need to be replaced.
Spring Assisters are great if your van has a "saggy back end.

The Spring assisters took me about 2.5 hours to fit - apart from a couple of spanners and socketts you need a jack and an axlestand. Before fitting the backend of my van drooped noticably - but that is a pick-up with a Romahome demountable pod plus gas bottles water etc etc.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 am

Many thanks for your reply, appreciated. Maybe 'bouncy' wasn't the best description. It tends to 'clatter' over the bumps, as if the springs are too rigid with little 'give' in them and the wheels skip from hump to hump rather than 'riding' the uneven surface. This disappears when the van is weighted in the back. I carted some stone slates home last month (weighed about 300kg) and the rear end ride was so much better - it rode the bumps properly and I could feel the rear end suspension working as it should. I regularly lubricate the leaf springs and this helps a bit. I'm sure the rear shockers are fine and there's absolutely no sag at all. Maybe this is simply a feature of a rear suspension designed to take 600kg+ being run unloaded. Thanks again,

John.
biofos
biofos
Chatterbox

http://www.biofos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by verryoldman Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Friends's had a saggy rear as well we removed the rear springs & strange assister's that were fitted.
We had already fitted a new uprated set of springs
As @woody said fitted the main spring from the old set with the eyes cut off, this was not enough so used the top 2 out of the Old spring, the U bolts were now not long enough found a set of MGB U bolts that nearly had the correct radius & fettled them.
The other thing with leaf springs is they RUST while you have them off strip the pack & clean them, with a fine disc sander! (Polished would be nice but life is to short) also Grind the ends where they rub on the spring above to a radius, then smother them in grease you will be surprised how the ride improves.
We did this 2/3 years ago still riding flat he has been to South of France twice since then & goes off to Devon & Cornwall on a regular basis.
It needs a few more horses to make it a really nice little machine OK on the flat but hills Sleep
Looking to change the interior cladding as it appears to have a bad attack of dandruff \ nearly Alopeca
verryoldman
verryoldman
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down