Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Makes of coil

2 posters

Go down

Makes of coil Empty Makes of coil

Post by elfin girl Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Van is almost sorted, it was fixed, then it got worse, now it's back to the original problem, think the second coil is giving up now!
So been looking at new ones and was about to order the blueprint at £52 when I thought I'd do a search for the item no and found some that are considerable cheaper.... But anybody know how reliable the other makes are? Makes of coil Image10
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Makes of coil Empty Re: Makes of coil

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Here is a link to Starks website listing for this coil
https://www.stark-automotive.com/catalog/engine-260047/ignition-coil-260377/7790251

Janmor are a Polish company - so take your choice.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:52 pm

kernowjon01 wrote:Here is a link to Starks website listing for this coil
https://www.stark-automotive.com/catalog/engine-260047/ignition-coil-260377/7790251

Janmor are a Polish company - so take your choice.
Jon

Thanks, I looked Starks up, couldn't find any reviews on quality of products though. I've used blueprint for parts before and quality has always been good just wondered how they compared bit wary of how low cost they are
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Or Japanpart - more expensive but usually better again.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:26 pm

I was just thinking - Auto Doc sell the Polish Janmor coils, and they are a German company and do not in my experience sell rubbish.
As you probably realisr when one coil goes the others will go soon after, to for Janmorbe expected its the end of the working life!
Therefore you need to renew all 4 - about £220 for BluePoint or £140 for Janmor.
If the Janmorsonly last 50k miles instead of 90 or 100k of the BluePoint it is still a short term gain.
I assume you tested with a multi meter and an OBD if your van has a socket?
I am not talking down, I used to be an Auto Sparks - many moons ago before ngine Management computers were common - when lots of cars still had points and electronic ignition was cutting edge technology, so management I am rubbish, but coils lights relays etc I know all about.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 pm

kernowjon01 wrote:I was just thinking - Auto Doc sell the Polish Janmor coils, and they are a German company and do not in my experience sell rubbish.
As you probably realisr when one coil goes the others will go soon after, to  for Janmorbe expected its the end of the working life!
Therefore you need to renew all 4 - about £220 for BluePoint or £140 for Janmor.
If the Janmorsonly last 50k miles instead of 90 or 100k of the BluePoint it is still a short term gain.
I assume you tested with a multi meter and an OBD if your van has a socket?
I am not talking down, I used to be an Auto Sparks - many moons ago before ngine Management computers were common - when lots of cars still had points and electronic ignition was cutting edge technology, so management I am rubbish, but coils lights relays etc I know all about.
Jon

It's a 1999 1.3 so only 2 coils, no obd plug. Had mobile mechanic over earlier and tested various things and combinations of leads and coils till we got it running reasonably well. Back to the problem only occurring when the engine has heated up so an improvement on last week. I've done about 50k miles in the last 13 years on the same coils the van came to me with so lasted well. (It's done about 96k in total) I can get 2 blueprint for £95 so not too bad really. I'll see what price the mechanic can tomorrow before I order
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:07 am

I was thinking it was like mine 2001 1.3 and 4 coils - nearly 80k on the clock.
Yes whrn they are going as the get hot the insulation inside the coil breaks down - and misfire. Soon it will not come back even when cold.
jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:14 pm

I think I'm cursed! Only new ht leads I could find were on eBay,
They turned up today and quite obviously do not fit the description Rolling Eyes Makes of coil Img_3613
Makes of coil Img_3612
Makes of coil Img_3610
Makes of coil Img_3611
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi that is bad luck - Maybe the solution is to go for the slightly more expensive option - go to a local autoelectric place, take in your old leads and ask them to make up new ones - they will use copper core leads and make the replacements using your old ones as patterns.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down