Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urggg power from battery issues

4 posters

Go down

Urggg power from battery issues Empty Urggg power from battery issues

Post by elfin girl Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:55 pm

So, I just gave my battery a full charge as it was having problems last week, it's all charged, and holding the charge, put it back on van and go to start it ... Lights on dash come on, turn key further ... Click ... Nothing, lights on dash go off.
I get my multi meter out, battery still fully charged, checked and tightened all points of connections to battery and body work and power is going through the connectors same thing happened when I tried to start it again.

I then nearly passed out trying to walk the dogs to the park and figured it was pretty lucky the van hadn't started after all!

.... I've now rememberd I have an MRI comming up that I've waited over six months for and will need the van to get there so now I'm slightly panicking that I need to fix it ASAP.

Any ideas? Am I going to have to try and get underneath to check the rest of the wiring?! Shocked
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Urggg power from battery issues Empty Re: Urggg power from battery issues

Post by Raggy Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Is it the broken wires ast the batter end, that’s a usual issue it seems. Think it’s the two small ones that come of the battery, and if you just removed battery, seems a likely suspect to investigate first.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm

I'd say that's highly likely - EG look where the small wires exit the battery box. On mine, one had broken outside the box, where more exposed to the elements, I guess.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:12 pm

As PFM and Raggy say that is certainly the most common cause of loss of power to ignition and the lights. When you turn the ignition on, is the orange Engine Management Light ( in the shape of an engine) coming on? Depends which wire has broken but if that is not coming on then it is most likely to be the two wire Grey Connector Plug off the Battery into the loom.

However, there is also a grey multi-plug that all the wires front to back go through which is tucked away out of sight almost, above the petrol tank which I have known to give similar problems.
If the two wire plug turns out to be ok then the Multi Plug is the next place to look at.
After that it is the Yellow 60amp PAL fuse under the driver's seat. That is a right swine to get at. They too can give you similar symptoms due to corrosion in the Fuse holder but usually sorted by pulling the fuse out of the holder and replacing it a couple of times to make a better connection. Hopefully you can sort it out before getting to this third step.

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:00 pm

I'll have a look further down the wire tomorrow, I initially got all normal dash lights come on when I turned the key half way, then just a click on the full turn and the lights then wouldn't come back on, same again after I checked the connections
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Is there somewhere closer to the ignition I can put the multimeter across to see how far the power is getting?
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by GEORDIE Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Starter motor connections can also give the same symtoms

GEORDIE
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:42 pm

GEORDIE wrote:Starter motor connections can also give the same symtoms
i did wonder about the starter motor as all the dash lights come on to start with, still got dodgy dizzy spells so not been able to get out and do anything to it yet, so as my brain will only swill arround in my skull at the moment could someone tell where the starter motor is and when I get a chance I can go investigate, I'm guessing I can check current through wires there .. Or something?! Can't flipping think my head is . Well doing my head in Razz
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:15 pm

I know what you are thinking of GEORDIE, but it is not the case with a Hi-Jet. On a lot of vehicles the main battery lead goes first to the Starter Motor and then there is a feed into the wiring loom comes off the same starter solenoid connection.

Not the case with a Hi-Jet. The main umbilical lead from the battery goes straight to the starter solenoid and nothing else.
The feed to the main loom goes through the two troublesome wires on the battery and through a connector block above the petrol tank as I described last night and on up to the PAL 60amp fuse and on into the loom.

Back to top Go down

Post by GEORDIE Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:49 am

Fair enough Woodie,its just that I had a fault clicking and then nothing that turned out to be a faulty main connection on the starter,I ended up snapping the copper stud and had to drill and tap it to restore starting

GEORDIE
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:11 am

It can sound a bit like a machine gun when that happens Geordie, or just the one dull clunk. Inevitably it is a loose connection on the nut or corrosion. That's the problem of using a steel nut on a copper thread. Try and tighten just a fraction more - - and SNAP, as you found out the hard way. I have seen a really good condition starter on the bellhousing and thought Great!! There's £40 for a decent starter motor - only to snap the copper thread. If it doesn't come undone with a little pressure, I cut the cable.
You can't do that on your own vehicle obviously, but I am removing spares to sell.

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:47 pm

I popped out to check on the van, battery still full so no drainage on standing for a few days, turned key first notch, dash lit up and noticed a lack of the "whiring" sound before that little click which I always presumed was the fuel pump? Turned full turn and got a tiny bit of effort at engine turnover so tried again and with a little encouragement it started. Took it for a bit of a drive, all ok. Parked up back and home and checked for the "whiring " sound when I half turn the key, either I'm going deaf or it's not doing it now! Still heard the little click I would normaly after. I'll try it again later see if it starts any easier, got some other stuff to get on with at the mo.
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:11 am

Yes the whirring sound is the fuel pump relay click and fuel being primed as far as I know (Woodie will confirm that...or ridicule me for my lack of knowledge Razz ) As for what could be or have been wrong Woodie will give a better idea, he’s like a number 9 bus...he will be along shortly I’m sure!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:48 am

Well, used it again today, no issues, also still no whiring sound anymore but I do get the click before I fully turn the key.
Wondering whether to source a fuel pump and starter motor just to hoard, keep in the van as spares when needed.
Law of averages says they will need replacing at some point, I've had the van 9 years now and not had any issues with them yet so maybe it's only a matter of time Laughing
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down