Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Underneath my P Porter

Go down

Underneath my P Porter  Empty Underneath my P Porter

Post by Chassyh Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:41 am

Hi sorry if this is a bit obvious, but still . . . . I am currently undersealing my Porter van, there is a plate in the middle underneath it, that is covering the engine? I think? It's between the wheels anyway. I can see the floor pan above it, and want to under seal the floor pan rather than this plate which is badly corroded, there's a hole in it. It mustn't be structural as the MOT bloke didn't mention it. What is its purpose? Am I OK removing it to spay the floorpan? Then repair and replace? Any help would be good, thanks.

Chassyh
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Underneath my P Porter  Empty Re: Underneath my P Porter

Post by Guest Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 am

Hi Chassyh. There isn't a "plate" under the engine as such. There is a plastic under tray to deflect water and stones etc from the engine.
Are you taking about the Heat Shield above the exhaust system? This is directly below the van cargo floor. If so then that is easy to remove with just 4, x 10mm self tapping screws. Make sure you don't get underseal on the exhaust as the smell of burning underseal isn't very pleasant.

Underneath my P Porter  Dsc_0015
Underneath my P Porter  Dsc_0016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:57 am

its protection for dirt and water
i have always driven without it

i am talking about the big plastic one..not the exhaust shield.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:54 am

The above exhaust heat shields are always rusty I find. I'm sure you have found the same Scotia. I think that it is what Chassyh must be talking about - unless he has a 993cc model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassyh Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:33 pm

That's the badger! Thanks guys, hope the S-t s don't shear off!!

Chassyh
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassyh Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Mine's a little (!!?) rusty, it fell in half! I think I'll have to repair it with a new one, any ideas guys? I can't find how to post a pic, otherwise I'd show you.

Chassyh
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:42 pm

If a self-tapping screw does snap just drill through the shield and the mounting point very close to the old one and use a new self tapper. But that is the easy part. You will need to find another shield first. I am not sure if I have another one to spare. I will have a hunt round for one at the garage this afternoon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassyh Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks Woodie, you are a diamond!

Chassyh
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:48 pm

I had a good hunt in the store for one. Unfortunately it seems that the fire slightly warped all the good ones I had. Slightly, being an understatement.

I have got a couple of vans left so if one of them is okay I will rob it off on Monday. I didn't get the chance to have a look at their condition as we had some heavy showers and a couple of thunder storms.

When I arrived at lunchtime, I found my own 04 plate pickup with the side window smashed in. I thought that it had been broken into,, but it was a roofing slate that had smashed the glass and buckled the top of the door frame. It was like a bomb site with slates all over the place, off of the roof of the fire damaged building next to mine. Not a good start to the afternoon's work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassyh Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks again Woodie.

Any advice from anyone about driving without the heat shield fitted? I don't  think it will repair even temporarily and I need to drive it tomorrow.

Chassyh
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:50 am

It was put there for a purpose in the first place Chassyh. There are no pipes or loom above the exhaust but the 3 cables of the handbrake mechanism is and the heat does tend to harden the plastic sheathing and makes it shrink and crack and then water can get into the wound metal sheath of the cable. The silencer and Cat do give off a lot of heat. The shield is also there to prevent the van floor from getting warm too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:27 pm

I have been under both vans and one of them is pretty good, so if you want the one in the pictures you can buy that one and I replace it off the other van in the future.

Email me on thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi Chassyh. I have got your Heat Shield parcelled up and ready to go tomorrow. What a pig of a job. Took 2 hours and over a whole roll of Parcel Tape. I have sent you an email just after lunch. Contact me ASAP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down