Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement Headlights

4 posters

Go down

Replacement Headlights Empty Replacement Headlights

Post by Basso Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:35 pm

I am looking for a pair of replacement headlights for a 1997 hijet van.  They are the old square type without the indicators.  Would the Bedford Rascal ones fit?  Thanks

Basso

Back to top Go down

Replacement Headlights Empty Re: Replacement Headlights

Post by Raggy Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 pm

quick answer yes as far as I know. You can get them for about £20. Search on here for more info and links.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:13 pm

They are still available from Powerful-UK-Ltd
Phone number is 01666804444.
http://www.powerfuluk.com

Welcome and where abouts in the country are you? Always handy to know as you may have other members nearby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Basso Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 pm

That is all great news.  I have ordered two for the princely sum of £38 delivered!  

I am in East Sussex (Buxted) but the van is my Daughters and she is based in Bristol.  Anyone know of a mechanic in Bristol who knows these vehicles?

A rather rash purchase, but it is in reasonable condition, a 1997 1.2 diesel (!) which has done only 27,000 miles!  Most of those though were done on a ....wait for it....Oil Rig in the north sea!  Surprisingly no terminal rust - bit of welding needs doing in rear inner wheel arch, and rust in wheel arches and around window frames.  

Doesn't overheat (yet).  Needs a good service, and it looks like one of the rear brake cylinders is leaking.  Also needs two new tyres.  I have just ordered a spare wheel for the van - carrier is there, just no spare!  £12.99 off fleabay....External door handles are broken on the two sliding doors...not sure what to do there.  

She is using it as a camper - fitted it out with a bed and seat in the back already - made from recycled pallets!  She loves it, and is running it on biodiesel, and is planning a respray on it (she is an arty type).  Cost her £450 - can't be bad I suppose.  

Thanks for the replies, and no doubt I will be on here asking for advice

Basso

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:50 pm

It is a waste of time and money replacing the side door handles. They last about 10 minutes. I always reach in from the drivers door or passenger and use the inside handle even though both my handles work.
It's a good habit to get into. Cheap ones about £25 each are available from the Treadmill Doctor but they aren't a very good fit. Only real answer is to buy a pair of new METAL PIAGGIO ones at around £220.
Welcome to the diabolically expensive world of new Hi-Jet spares.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm

That's a rather a refrained reply Woodie, I would have expected the words 'petrol matches accident' when you usually reply to a post mentioning the diesel hijet Very Happy
Anyway, welcome to the world of hijets
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Yes it was rather. I was saving it for my next post. Can't upset Brasso ( oh, I just have) too early in his membership and anyway I was being gentle as it is his poor daughter that has been so unfortunate as to have been "Landed" (Oil Rig) with a Lombardini Engined all of 34 colossal bhp Hi-Jet. And being a loving Dad has put himself up for the flack.

Good man I say. I can't be bothered to go through the " Gallon of Petrol and a box of Matches routine now anyway. Now that you have pre-empted my thunder. Swine!!!

Anyway Basso I think that you have already found out that we are a bunch of helpful comedians with more than a rudimentary knowledge of Hi-Jets and a source of spares too. Must remember to add that. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Welcome, a lot of these were sold by a Bristol dealer (not a dealer of Bristols, I hasten to add) so she could be in luck finding a local independant. Is there still a poultry farm near you btw?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Basso Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:41 am

That is interesting - do you have contact details of the dealer? Poultry farm is long gone....

Basso

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:27 pm

http://www.hursleyhillgarage.co.uk/ - their website says they're still Daihatsu dealers, though I doubt that somehow. Shame, thought you might be able to get a cheep turkey in December. santa

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Out of interest Woodie, How do you get through MOTs without the external door handles working?  Mine failed on just that!

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Take seats out for test!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:00 am

As Raggy says, they only need to be working if it is an MPV. If it is a van then it's not required as far as I know.
Fortunately my handles do work, although I seldom use them. I mostly open them from the inside, putting my arm in between the front seat and pillar. Just become a habit over the years not to rely on Hi-Jet sliding door handles, as mostly they don't work.
Although the van I sold to DoughboyBakes had both handles working beautifully and the van I am preparing for sale at the moment, both doors open from the outside. Most unusual.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:05 am

Seeing your Avatar is an MPV Andy, you may have to remove the seat belts too. Depends on how rigid your Mot Station is in their interpretation of the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down