Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying my first HiJet maybe, this weekend.

2 posters

Go down

Buying my first HiJet maybe, this weekend.  Empty Buying my first HiJet maybe, this weekend.

Post by Moz Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:49 am

Hi everyone,

Im going to look at buying my first Hijet this weekend. ill be using it to take my surfboard and little dude to surf the North East coast. I have been reading about overheating and all kinds of problems and its a bit worrying. Is it that much of a problem with this vehicle?

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what to look for when i go to view it. Now the van is 3 hours drive from mine. And i'm guessing longer back if i buy it. I have no mechanical background (I'm a Joinery teacher) The van is a 1.3 Peggagio porter engine 75K on the clock.

Any help would be totally appreciated. I'm excited to be on this forum as everyone seems awesome and very knowledgeable. i'm sure ill be a frequent poster so i apologise in advance Very Happy

Have fun Dudes and Dudettes

Chris

Moz

Back to top Go down

Buying my first HiJet maybe, this weekend.  Empty Re: Buying my first HiJet maybe, this weekend.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Back to top Go down

Buying my first HiJet maybe, this weekend.  Empty Re: Buying my first HiJet maybe, this weekend.

Post by Moz Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Fantastic reply with that link Scotia. Very Happy  Thank you very much. And HighlyJetted for that class wealth of information. Shocked  Wow, there is a lot to try and look at. Ill just have to figure out where all that stuff is in the van. Fingers crossed it will work out. Are parts quite freely available now the companies are not in the UK anymore?

Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Overheating is not an issue so long as you sort it out initially when you get it, new rad caps, make sure anti freeze is done and just keep a check on these regular. Had same thoughts before I had mine, got it sorted initially as previous owners had not followed the next advice...regular maintainance. Mines been fine since. Good lunch and buy with your head not your heart.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Moz Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks Raggy, much appreciated. Today I've been told the panels and frame are thin so rust and corrosion are worse on these, so the bodywork and underneath can't be welded or fixed easily. Is this true? As I'm sure the mot said the underneath needed work and had weld repairs.

Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 pm

hmmmm....one to be very careful with. Not had experience of welding these vans but if its been welded already  time to think. Have checked what has come up on previous MOTs? Check MOTs here
You don't give your location on your profile, helps.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Moz Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Awesome stuff Raggy. Never knew about that site. So I've ditched buying the van based on the link you shared. Dodged a bullet is an understatement. I've bought a different one with the help of the mot check. I owe you big time. Very Happy

I'll post pics when I can this weekend. So stoked. It's a newer version of the hijet I originally looked at.

Keep it sweet.

Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Good glad it helped, gives you an idea what has been long term problems and see past some bodgig with underseal etc.
Love to see some pics on here.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down