Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leaf springs

3 posters

Go down

leaf springs Empty leaf springs

Post by bones 851 Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:37 pm

hi folks, went out this am, drove about 3miles, then heard clanging sound from rear of van, stopped had a look underneath van and found a bit of metal which looked like a tyre leaver, nice guy stopped and recognised metal as broken leaf spring from rear right hand side, drove van back and headed out on wee gs 125 suzuki (my other pride and joy from 1982, got well soaked, any way, contacted local garage, bloody hell they are asking for £195.00 for 1 spring set!!!,(just one side) does anybody know where the might be a bit cheaper, as the mech states it would be best to change them both........furtune..... cheers bones 851
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

leaf springs Empty Re: leaf springs

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:58 pm

hmmm depends if the spring has snapped in half?
or has the U bolts come away?
if the latter, just get a new U bolt and replace the old one.

If the spring has broken....
http://www.womoco.co.uk/ will give you a ball park figure. i have seen some on ebay
OR... can you find leaf spring refurbishment in your area (google?)?
or.. source a 2nd hand set off a newer/less mileage van?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:26 pm

leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Theres loads of hijet been broken for spares, i'd just grab a used one. You have to do a pair of new springs or it will drive a bit odd, but i'd be happy to put a single used one on as its done all the sagging already. If your stuck trying to source a used one, have a go calling some of the breakers round manchester, loads of asians running scrappers and they know theres a demand for this sort of stuff. Most accept cards over the phone and do postage.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

leaf springs Empty leaf springs

Post by bones 851 Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:55 pm

hi folks, thanks very much for the advice, definately broken, 2nd from the top, going to source breakers at weekend, a mate has some axle jacks, looks like we will attempt the diy stuff, new adventure for myself. will also use some of the leads past on, thanks very much..... will be in touch bones 851....
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

leaf springs Empty re- leaf springs

Post by bones 851 Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 am

hello folks, managed to source both rear leaf springs from the parts gateway, company T and B motors, a bloke called andy, gave me a call had a good old chat, seems quite enthusiastic and knowledgable re hijets,parts due to arrive on thursday, no biking this weekend, need to get the jet back on the road, can't wait.........thanks for the assisstance again,,, bones 851
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:32 am

nice one. if you have time, can you post andys details so i can add them to the parts thread.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down