Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Car!

+3
Raggy
nhw2289
Logi
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First  Car! Empty First Car!

Post by nhw2289 Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:47 am

Hi all,

Hope you are all well! My name is Nick and i'm based in out in the sticks in Gloucestershire, it really was a bit of a pain getting anywhere without a car as the nearest train station is 25mins drive away! Anyway after months of looking online I figured a Hijet would be a useful mode of transport, it being cheap, small and great to be able to sleep in the back! I found a 2001 Hijet that had done less than 40,000 miles and so bought it for £600!

I am now slightly worried a couple of months later as it has started 'hunting' (erratic idling while in neutral)! I took it to have the whole thing checked over last week ago and they didn't know why it was doing that and said it was difficult to get to to the sensors in the tick-over unit with the time that they had...

I'm terrified this might be detrimental to the health of my poor little van and don't want to spend any extra money on her until I know whether this is a simple, fixable problem or not! I do enjoy driving her massively and would be a shame to see her go...

Would anyone know what to suggest?

Thanks!

Nick

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

First  Car! Empty Re: First Car!

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Bit too late to avoid this Hi-Jet now but Scotia has pointed you in the right direction.

Have you checked the water levels in the metal pipe with the radiator cap on it under the passenger seat?

If you can't see any water or just a dribble in bottom of the pipe and the expansion bottle is over the high mark then water is leaking past the Radiator Cap. So check out the condition of the round rubber seal.
If any signs of a split or the seal is looking dubious in any way then buy TWO new Radiator Caps, NOT FROM A DAIHATSU DEALER, but a local Motor Factors, one for the metal pipe seating and one for the Radiator itself behind the front grille.

When topping up the water system it sounds very complicated but like doing anything new it always does seem complicated but after you have gone through it a couple of times you can virtually do it blindfold.

Even if you are not too mechanically minded you can can surprise yourself just how accomplished you can become in a short time.
If you are not sure about anything - - just ask. We all have to start somewhere. We have some very knowledgeable Hi-Jet Owners on here, right down to complete novices.

Take Daniel Frisbee for an example. He was lacking in self confidence but he wasn't afraid to say so and he asked how to do things. And I must admit that " The Boy Done Well". Very well!!
He got his Hi-Jet through the Mot last week with a little encouragement from some of us here. So well done Dan.

You'll be fine so long as you can take a bit Mickey taking and follow the advice.

Before you drive your van tomorrow I would recommend checking the water level in the Radiator and most definitely the level in the pipe under the passenger seat. If the level is low then ideally you need to top up the water before going to work. There are several "threads" , on here under "Coolant System, Overheating, Head Gaskets "
In my 12 + years of experience of Hi-Jets I personally have found that 80-90% of the overheating problems have been caused by faulty leaking rad-caps and Garages not having a clue how to bleed the cooling system of a Hi-Jet. In all that time, only 3 have actually been Head Gasket. The rest have been misdiagnosis or gold digging by Garages. So don't start panicking yet.

If you want to talk to me then contact me on : thehijetmaniow@gmail.com and send me your mobile number. If you are on WhatsApp then that is much more helpful or if not it is worth installing from Play store tonight. I can send you 10 pictures at a time.
I have taken a few pictures of Rad-caps for you to compare which I will put up shortly from another tablet. After I have eaten.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:50 pm

First  Car! Dsc_0045
First  Car! Dsc_0046
First  Car! Dsc_0047

First  Car! Dsc_0048

First Line seem to be the easiest Radcap to obtain, but Nipparts or Blue Line seem to be of better quality.
The Yellow Chinese Radcap I haven't got a clue where I got the that from. I usually find all sorts of parts in glove boxes, boxes of bits and pieces new and used in a Hi-Jet that I have bought for re-sale or for dismantle for spares.

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:23 pm

Yellow cap looks like the ones my 993 had from new.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Odd thing is it looks brand new. I have also found 3 of the 993cc plain radiator caps with the chains still on them. Second hand though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Woodie, thanks for the help and Logi Hello!!

I checked the water level in the pipe under the passenger seat a couple of hundred miles after buying it and it was 90% full.

I topped it up, then a couple hundred miles later it started hunting, after i took it to the mechanic last week I checked the level again and was more like 30% full with the expansion bottle being almost full! I topped it up again...

The condition of the cap didn't seem bad either time and you could tell their was pressure behind it as i unscrewed it (although maybe not enoug!). Maybe i didn't screw tight as much as i should've done!

I Haven't checked the condition of the cap behind the radiator grille yet but I will have a look in a minute!

It doesn't seem to overheat, or at least the temperature gauge never goes above half way. Oh also the other thing is that the engine light comes on sporadically but hopefully just a connection problem!

my phone is being a bit tricky at the mo but will try to sort it out asap!

Thanks so much for your help!! and swiftness! Cool

N

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:40 pm

Sooooo... I went to top up this morning and it was half full, I also noticed that on the expansion bottle had been written 40% full and this months date, this must have been done last week at the garage.

so 200/300 miles after buying the van it was 90% full in the pipe with level in between full and low in expansion bottle so i topped it up.

another 200/300 miles later started hunting

200/300 miles later took to the garage where they wrote on the expansion bottle 40%

day after that I checked in the pipe and it was nearly empty with expansion bottle full

today was half full so topped up again, drove 20miles had another look and again low in the pipe full in the expansion bottle!

So this means my rad cap isn't quite what it should be?

I suppose they look slightly dubious, will buy a couple today...

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:48 pm

First  Car! Radcap12

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:48 pm

First  Car! Radcap13

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:51 pm

Good idea to replace them, and follow the correct procedure for filling, ie from the cap on the rad, never the cap on the pipe. There is a pressure method detailed on here, but try this first:
Park with front of van higher than rear (or jack up the front).
Remove both caps and turn heater slide to hot.
Fill through the rad until coolant overflows cap on pipe, fit that cap back on.
Now fill until coolant overfills the rad cap, then fit that cap.
Put coolant in expansion tank until half full. Check weekly (when cold) and top up expansion bottle if necessary.
Might be wise to fully drain the system first in light of your experiences.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:03 pm

WHOOPS! I've just been topping up from the pipe! Before I buy caps, are they both both the same size?

Just so I get this right...
jack up front,
Remove both caps
slide heater on (does ignition need to be on?)
fill through rad until coolant flows cap on pipe, fit pipe cap back on
keep filling through rad until overfills rad cap.
my expansion tank is almost full, should i empty it?

How difficult would it be to drain system and what benefits would this have?

Sorry i'm a complete novice really but willing to learn!

Thanks PFM!!

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:39 pm

you could giveit a flush out but first instance looking at those pics are definitely some new rad caps. Yes they are the same, also make sure the seat in the pipe it seals to is in good condition not rusted up etc else changing caps won't do anything. May have some pics in my Skylark restoration thread. The cap you have looks shot. That's the first thing before doing anything else. Possibly a relatively cheap and easy fix.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:39 pm

oh forgot to add, welcome to the mad house!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:47 pm

FRC74 caps are fairly easy to find and fit both places. Ignition should be off. Draining is easy - remove caps, unscrew the drain cock located on the hose going to the bottom of the rad - stick your head under the bumper ahead of the n/s front wheel and you should see it. Or, just undo the hose from the rad. Either way, you may (probably will) get coolant on you. It's a good idea to check the condition of the hose clips - original ones are sprung, not worm drive. Best practise is to replace them all with stainless steel ones, but let's stop you boiling up first.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:29 pm

I have managed to drain, flush and re-fill the system with lovely fresh coolant. It also now has 2 shiny new rad caps! I took it for a couple of short drives today, started hunting within 10mins but hasn't done it since. It revs high whilst idling! I will check coolant level in pipe tomo and top-up if necessary...

Does this rule out no water going through thermostatic idle control valve? Is it a case of replacing the temperature sensor? Does this do any long term damage providing i keep it topped up and didn't let the thermostat reach further than half way?

thinking cap is on.... king

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Thinking crown i mean...

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:20 pm

let us know how you get on with the water level post test drive then we have a better idea what's going on.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 am

Morning all, just checked the pipe under the seat and there seems to be 0 coolant! Guess I top up from the radiator and try again?!

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:19 am

(p.s to top up do i undo both caps, fill from rad until pipe fills, recap pipe, continue filling from rad until full, then recap rad? Embarassed

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:25 pm

That would be a good start. What was the water level like in the expansion bottle though? Has that level changed at all?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:01 pm

no, expansion bottle is still almost at full like it has been for a while, no obvious sign of it overflowing...

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Oh dear, I had another mishap yesterday on my hour journey back through the rain last night! I started losing power as if running out of petrol but only slightly and gradually, then it cut out...

I recently filled up (there is no working fuel gauge!) and doesn't seem to be leaking. I also topped up with extra just in case, so couldn't have run out of fuel! Checked coolant and oil which seemed like normal, then gave the wires a little wiggle, may have been a bad connection to the spark plugs? Anyway after this it finally worked and ran smoothly until the last mile of being home when it suddenly cut out again. gave all the wires a wiggle but not so much luck as last time... kept wiggling and managed to get it home! Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be? Thanks, Nick

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:43 pm

A common one apparently are thr wires that go fron the battery. Maybe yiu have one thats not quite broken?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 pm

well the lights would work etc it just wouldn't run...

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by GEORDIE Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:22 pm

There are two small wires on the positive terminal of the battery,these are what Raggy means,they break and cause problems-turn on ingnition and listen for the fuel pump.

GEORDIE
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Is your orange coloured Engine Management Light on when you turn the ignition on Nick. Top right hand corner of the instrument cluster shaped like an Engine strangely enough.

On the other hand it sounds like it could well be the speed sensor in the Speedo Head. Were you doing over 40 - 45 when it started to cut out? Did it tick over but not respond to the throttle?

The speed sensor controls the ECU Unit and if it starts playing up it cuts the fuel supply and usually will just let the engine tick over. Turn it off and let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes maximum and it will restart and run fine until you go over 40 mph and then it will cut out again. If you keep at 40 or below it will run fine.

Have you started and run it again today Nick?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:08 pm

That sounds like a good possible culprit!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:34 pm

I had a similar problem some years ago and mine turned out to be corroded wiring behind and under the passenger seat, I didn't fix it myself so unfortunately I can't be more specific on which wires.
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum