Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

newbie with piaggio porter van with windows 2005

5 posters

Go down

newbie with piaggio porter van with windows 2005 Empty newbie with piaggio porter van with windows 2005

Post by martintheveg Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi all, i have joined as per most people i guess as i am finding it very difficult to just replace my sidelight/ headlight bulb
on my microbus, crazy isn`t it, needing help to change a light bulb !
I am a grandfather of three and now retired, i am far from a mechanic but i must get this job done as i like to stay within
the law. I live in Bromley, Kent and have various hobbies including 10 metre target airgun shooting, keeping zebra finches,
walking my dog, control line aircraft building/flying, reading, and probably a few more too, nice to have the time now too.
I am about to start searching the forum now after my short intro, thanks for having me guys and girls. veg. Very Happy
martintheveg
martintheveg

Back to top Go down

newbie with piaggio porter van with windows 2005 Empty Re: newbie with piaggio porter van with windows 2005

Post by Raggy Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Welcome to the madhouse! Its like standing at a bus stop, someone is sure to turn up sooner or later with an answer (or maybe two answers at the same time) so keep an eye out!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

newbie with piaggio porter van with windows 2005 Empty Re: newbie with piaggio porter van with windows 2005

Post by Logi Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:11 pm

Hello Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:44 pm

Which bulb are you struggling with?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:07 am

Hi Martin. Nice to have another Old Fart on here to balance up the numbers. Martin the Veg. Hmmmm. Nope. From now on in my book it will be MTV - - with the MPV, well ok, MPV lookalike.
You are a bit out of touch if you think retirement is going to give you more time for other things. As Macenroe said "You cannot be serious man". I have 11 grandchildren and I don't get to see 7 of them very much at all. Just 2 teenage Grandaughters who also live on the Island.
You don't say which Veg you are like. I hope it is not a cabbage. You do need a modicum of sense and a spirit of adventure to look after your own Hi-Jet.
Right. Headlight bulbs. First of all have you got small hands or like me, Mobile Beartraps?? It's important because there is two ways to do this. The easy way or the not so easy way. If you have small hands, then if you can get the black plastic back- covers off inside the cab then you MAY be able to get the bulb out.

Failing that, take your grille off the front by gently prising the top corners away from the bodywork. Fold the grille forward and there are two mouldings that hinge on plastic covered metal pins. Gently, but firmly pull the grille towards you, prising the grille off the pins. For goodness sake don't break the forked clip mouldings.

Next remove the indicator light. This is simple once you have done it a couple of times. Assuming that you already have the plastic covers removed inside, using a torch (if like me you are a Myopic Old Fart too) locate a very thin stainless steel loop.
Pull the loop back a bit and move it to the outside of the aperture - to the right on the driver's side and left on the passenger side.

It should then slide down a U channel on the side of the Headlight. Go to the front again and pull the Indicator out. Disconnect the bulb holder. On the rear edge of the Headlight Surround take out 2 Posi screws.
Now for a delicate job, as though you are still handling ripe fruit Martin. You haven't forgotten already this early in your retirement have you. Have you???

The Surround has three ( or it did from new, but depending on how many morons have been let loose on it in Daihatsu Garages) very delicate, very easily broken pop clips.
There are two on the top edge and one down on the pointy bit. Gently prise the surround forward a little and same down on the pointed corner. With that removed, on the bracket on top of the Headlight are 2 8mm set bolts. Remove them and prise the top of the headlight forward using a screw driver behind the bracket. Lift the Headlight out and disconnect the loom. Job done. You can now change the bulbs. I would prefer to do it this way even if I had small hands. But glad I haven't coz nobody dares argue with me face to face. It sounds a bit daunting but it is easy enough really. The awkward part can be with the Indicator Stainless loop. Look closely at the headlight moulding
U channel and the dogleg in the stainless loop so you can see how it goes together when you reassemble it.
Hopefully I haven't left anything out. If I have, tough!! It's gone midnight and I am tired. Goodnight. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Woodie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by martintheveg Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:20 am

Hi Woodie, thanks for your very humerous welcome, and i might add the previous two too.
Blimey ! i didnt think i would have to dismantle the whole front of the van to change a bulb,what a mare,the good news is i finally got the black cover off, some $&@?+:" had rounded the inside of the holding screw and i had to get an angle driver to shear it off, i also inevitably cut some of the holder but with my modelling skills i have already started to rebuild that using the micro metal gauze and epoxy, luckily i have a massive bits and bobs box , no not that ! and i can remake a new screw hole using a washer , i still have to drill out tge rest of the screw though which is stuck fast in its slot. I pulled the wire lever also and that moves o.k. but all this was at 8 a.m this morning and i have been out all day so will be taking a look later today as its now 01'10 and i am as knackered as you probably were at midnight. I was under the impression that the plastic squarish type plug to the left of the opening would somehow just pull off and bobs yer uncle but after gently pulling and twisting and turning i left it alone for fear of breaking it, i also noted to the right a white plastic cylinder type fingy with a white plastic nt fixed inside it, i really can't understand how something so minor could be such a problem, were the makers game for a laugh or something ? I am ready for some zzzs now myself, been a long day, nice welcome my friend andcfellow granddady, 9 you say, phew, now that is hardcwork, but enjoyablecat the same time of course, best wishes, martintheveg, ( ex allotment grower ), not meat and two veg department!
martintheveg
martintheveg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 am

Yep, bite the Bullet MTV, or in your case, the carrot. Take it to bits and do the job right. It is much easier in the long run if you don't want cut fingers and blood pressure through the roof.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrightgeordie Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:18 am

I'm a new Micro Van user as well Martin, good luck with your latest hobby.  From my short experience you'll have to get used to grinding off or breaking nuts ,bolts and screws they've been a constant thorn since I started on my rolling project.
wrightgeordie
wrightgeordie
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:48 am

Don't bother trying to drill out the broken screw. Just drill a 3mm hole through the plastic cover and bodywork to one side of the hole allowing for the size of the welded nut behind.
Make sure you do allow for this or you will just snap the drill off. Use a self tapping screw, NOT stainless steel as they round of too easily. Ideally use a self tapping screw with a hex head so you can use a 1/4 drive socket on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by martintheveg Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks woodie, will do, too wet as usual to look at it today but hopefully will be dryer in the morning. I am in the middle of doing half a dozen things at once now because of this nevrr ending rain, thanks fof the assistance.
martintheveg
martintheveg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:15 pm

See!! I told you so. Not enough hours in a day. Multitasking now on the agenda??

Back to top Go down

Post by martintheveg Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Woodie wrote:See!!  I told you so. Not enough hours in a day.  Multitasking now on the agenda??

Yeah ! been like that for a while now, and all sandwiched between looking after an 18 month youngen two mornings a week
and collecting two others from school 3 times a week, i need longer days.
martintheveg
martintheveg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Kids. Arghhh. That is serious commitment Martin. Hats off to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by martintheveg Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:30 pm

Woodie wrote:Kids. Arghhh. That is serious commitment Martin. Hats off to you.

Well to be fair to my daughter and hubby, she has done well for herself these last five years, got a university
degree and is almost qualified now as a counsellor to drug addicts e.t.c. whilst being a mum, she is in the middle of
compulsory on the job training for 12 months without any pay before she can take her final exam,
her poor hubby has been working all the hours under the sun and moon to support them all and when
she chooses who to work for at the end of this year they will be on their way to a good life, and
so will i !
martintheveg
martintheveg

Back to top Go down

Post by martintheveg Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:28 pm

No time for me to have a go at it today Woodie, it's a pleasant enough day but i am bombarded with the housework now, its looking like a weekend job now.
i still have to get the stuck screw out but have finished the black plastic box from inside and that looks ok and will look no different when re fitted.
atb,
martintheveg
martintheveg
martintheveg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Oh MTV. I am going to send you a pinny and a Gold Star.
I am not quite sure which black box you are talking about. Make sure you turn it off before you go on the Razzle, so your wife can't track you.
By the Black Box, do you mean the Headlamp rear cover?

Back to top Go down

Post by martintheveg Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:03 pm

I do mean the cover, yes, sorry for the confusion, my head doesn't work
very well in mechanical mode, i am a wood man.
martintheveg
martintheveg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:16 am

Well if you find that you need a cover or anything else in the future, I have a large stock of various Hi-Jet spares. That goes for everyone on here too. It is always worth asking me first before trying elsewhere. I may not have what you want, but it is worth an email to me. hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down